MartyZ

Are dented rifle cases ok to reload?

Small nicks and dings are OK.  Dents or creases that change the shape of the case are not.  Is this from a bolt gun (Ruger M77)?

Case will resize to chamber on firing.  I have shot many "dinged" reloaded cases that fire form to the chamber and are GTG.

I tend to have small dents in some of my casings, but they're smaller than a grain of rice. Yours seem pretty big, I'd be wary of loading them.

When in doubt--throw it out. (Or save up your rejects, and send them to freedom munitions for money off new production)

Yes, the  AK brass, 762x39,  gets a serious dent. Some is taken out at sizing. Then it fire forms when you shoot it again. So you have to  pad the receiver cover (mentioned above). I do it but it's pretty 'hoaky'. 

I am on reload #6 with some S&B brass with no dent problems. (some folks hate S&B, BTW - my problems were at the primer end)

No good reason why I reload M43. Guess I don't like steel. And always analyzing my shooting - was it me, the gun or the ammo?? HA!

Sometimes I think -'go buy a real gun!', but I love my AK.

Yes, the  AK brass, 762x39,  gets a serious dent. Some is taken out at sizing. Then it fire forms when you shoot it again. So you have to  pad the receiver cover (mentioned above). I do it but it's pretty 'hoaky'. 

I am on reload #6 with some S&B brass with no dent problems. (some folks hate S&B, BTW - my problems were at the primer end)

No good reason why I reload M43. Guess I don't like steel. And always analyzing my shooting - was it me, the gun or the ammo?? HA!

Sometimes I think -'go buy a real gun!', but I love my AK.

Primer problems? I just ream all the primer pockets (I hope that's the correct terminology) with a chamfer tool. Do that while watching TV, and I find .223 brass very easy to prime after that.

Before I reamed/cleaned I'd ocasionally get primers that wouldn't seat all the way, and i'd get scared trying to force them in, so i'd fill the case with water to destroy the primer, then lube it up, and try and use the decapper die to get it out. Always a nervewracking experience lol.

But yeah, a few turns with a chamfering tool, and i find it much easier to load a variety of brass. some doesn't need it (can't remember the exact manufacturer off the top of my head, but I remember PMC generally giving me no problems)