Candyman87

Buying Ammo in a Free State

Last weekend I made my semi-regular pilgrimage to Cabela's and am constantly amazed what its like to be in a gun shop in a state other than New Jersey. I'm still astounded that you can:

a) Find ammunition on shelves, look at what you're buying.

b) Buy ammunition without having your identity logged in a book.

c) Not be treated like a criminal when you pay for your ammunition.

d) Get a smile and a wave from the lady behind the counter after you buy your ammunition.

Flash back to New Jersey, Dick's in Rockaway (on my way home and usually have Winchester White Boxes of .380 in stock) I swung by yesterday to spend a gift card and had the guy behind the counter tell me what he had in stock, log it in his book, and then put it into one of those plastic security bins so only the cashier could open it. 

If it weren't for that two hour drive each way, I'd make that pilgrimage more often. And if I could only get Winchester 231 or Hodgdon's HP-38 powder reliably, I wouldn't even be purchasing any!

I haven't bought ammo in that store in about two years, but I never had to carry ammo in a plastic box....

The thing I like the most is just looking at prices, TBH. I think it is absolutely stupid that gun stores don't make the prices easier to read from the counter. It really isn't hard to write "Win. 223 55gr FMJ brass $ripoffprice/box" on a sticker.

Candyman87. I agree completely. I have traveled on business alot to places like Texas, Virginia, and Delaware. What a liberating feeling experiencing what its like to be in a truly free state. Ammo on shelves that you can actually touch and browse. Wow, what a concept. And dont forget the racks of those "evil" high capacity magazines that are there stocked like bags of potato chips. All no big deal.

While my daughter was attending school in upstate NY I used to stop into a sporting goods store outside of Scranton. The ammo was actually ON THE SHELVES, like you'd see fishing reels or targets on shelves here. 

Last time I bought shotgun ammo at Dicks after they girl took it out of the lock box and I paid for it I gave the bag to my 4 year boy to carry to my truck. You should seen the look on her face, I don't get the fear of guns and ammo here in the lovely garden state.

If you tell somebody something loud and long enough they tend to believe it.  NJ citizens are brainwashed into believing this "tool" is evil and we need to protect against it.  All political BS.  NJ has been a bastion of political BS forever.  I'm sick of it.

Anyway, if you think PA is a haven for polite purchases, travel a little further out west.  Every hardware store sell firearms and ammo like garden tools and nuts and bolts.  What is normal to them makes NJ firearm owners feel like kids in a candy store, all bug eyed and drooling at the mouth.  Guns are traded in all the time.  Big selections and great prices.

I remember going to a wedding in rural MN years ago.  Family from both sides of the wedding party traveling in from all over the country.  Local hardware store just got in shipment of hard to get long guns, everybody there for the wedding ended up going home with new long guns. Now that is America!

Flash back to New Jersey, Dick's in Rockaway (on my way home and usually have Winchester White Boxes of .380 in stock) I swung by yesterday to spend a gift card and had the guy behind the counter tell me what he had in stock, log it in his book, and then put it into one of those plastic security bins so only the cashier could open it. 

That's interesting, Dicks in Paramus just handed me 38spcl and 357mag ammo a couple weeks ago after taking down my info. I konw firearms have to be brought by an employee to the register. 

While my daughter was attending school in upstate NY I used to stop into a sporting goods store outside of Scranton. The ammo was actually ON THE SHELVES, like you'd see fishing reels or targets on shelves here. 

I found the same in California. The last store I went, just staring at a rifle was enough for a store employee to practically force it into my hands without having to prove eligibility to purchase or any of that nonsense.

I found the same in California. The last store I went, just staring at a rifle was enough for a store employee to practically force it into my hands without having to prove eligibility to purchase or any of that nonsense.

Last summer Dunkelberger's in Stroudsburg had 30+ used long guns that you could fondle right on the shop floor without even speaking to a sales person. A couple of months ago they were down to 8-9, but you could still pick them up. 

We've been through the eligibility thing before. Not required in NJ, but sales people (and owners) still ask for it. 

d) Get a smile and a wave from the lady behind the counter after you buy your ammunition.

Funny, I get that all the time.  Perhaps Beretta owners are just adored by women, even if we do flick the safety on once in a while.

Last time I bought shotgun ammo at Dicks after they girl took it out of the lock box and I paid for it I gave the bag to my 4 year boy to carry to my truck. You should seen the look on her face, I don't get the fear of guns and ammo here in the lovely garden state.

I've purchased shotgun shells at Dick's Rockaway (as recently as 2-3 months ago) and never was it put in a plastic box. I was able to take to the cashier and lay it on the counter myself.  I may or may not get the little questionnaire on the cc machine, but that's all.

I've purchased shotgun shells at Dick's Rockaway (as recently as 2-3 months ago) and never was it put in a plastic box. I was able to take to the cashier and lay it on the counter myself.  I may or may not get the little questionnaire on the cc machine, but that's all.

This is new. My last purchase prior was maybe 2-3 weeks ago, and I was able to walk it myself. 

Sounds like ammo theft is becoming a bit of a problem.

This is new. My last purchase prior was maybe 2-3 weeks ago, and I was able to walk it myself. 

Sounds like ammo theft is becoming a bit of a problem.

As long as it just a "theft" issue and not a "gun control" issue. :dontknow:  Hell, Costco always packages those tiny little things in huge "Anti-theft" packaging, or empty boxes (until you get to the check out counter).