Brady Bunch is suing NJ, saying that the NJ Attorney General has not started the clock on our Smart Gun Law.....

This afternoon, the Brady Campaign and the Million Mom March (Mercer County Chapter) announced that they are filing a lawsuit to force the New Jersey Attorney General to formally report on the public availability of so-called “smart guns.”  The lawsuit is intended to trigger New Jersey’s 2002 smart gun law, which could eventually outlaw the transfer of handguns that do not incorporate the technology.

“New Jersey’s smart-gun law is a dumb as it gets,” said ANJRPC Executive Director Scott Bach. “It forces you to use an unproven technology to defend your life, and then exempts the state from liability when the gun goes ‘click’ instead of ‘bang.’ If it’s such a great idea, then law enforcement shouldn’t be exempt, and the free market should be able to determine its viability.  ANJRPC will spare no effort or expense to prevent this gun ban from going into effect.”

There will be a media frenzy covering this event.  The first stories available online as this alert was prepared include the following:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/new-jersey-sued-accused-of-ignoring-2002-gun-law-1.1019058

http://www.nbc40.net/story/25555423/new-jersey-sued-accused-of-ignoring-02-gun-law

http://yubanet.com/usa/Brady-Campaign-Sues-New-Jersey-Over-Smart-Gun-Law.php#.U3pPa7E8EaN

ANJRPC will provide additional details when they are available.

http://www.pagunblog.com/2014/05/19/brady-center-sues-to-implement-nj-smart-gun-law/

This will be interesting since SCOTUS has essentially ruled this sort of requirement unconstitutional. The NJAG's office will be in the position of either complying (unconstitutionally) or actually interpreting the law as unconstitutional in the post-Heller world:

3. The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. [**2787] The District's total ban on handgun possession in the home [bold]amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of "arms" that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense[/bold]. Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition — in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute — would fail constitutional muster. Similarly, [bold]the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense[/bold]and is hence unconstitutional.

The Armatix pistol is only available in one caliber (.22lr) and it does not recognize the owner of the weapon. It recognizes a wrist watch that anyone including a thief or a child could wear. This does not meet  NJ's definition of a smart gun.

This will be interesting since SCOTUS has essentially ruled this sort of requirement unconstitutional. The NJAG's office will be in the position of either complying (unconstitutionally) or actually interpreting the law as unconstitutional in the post-Heller world:

3. The handgun ban and the trigger-lock requirement (as applied to self-defense) violate the Second Amendment. [**2787] The District's total ban on handgun possession in the home [bold]amounts to a prohibition on an entire class of "arms" that Americans overwhelmingly choose for the lawful purpose of self-defense[/bold]. Under any of the standards of scrutiny the Court has applied to enumerated constitutional rights, this prohibition — in the place where the importance of the lawful defense of self, family, and property is most acute — would fail constitutional muster. Similarly, [bold]the requirement that any lawful firearm in the home be disassembled or bound by a trigger lock makes it impossible for citizens to use arms for the core lawful purpose of self-defense[/bold]and is hence unconstitutional.

heh....you actually think anybody cares what SCOTUS ruled in Heller/McDonald?  Or that a law 'might' be unconstitutional?

There have been a few cases that tried to break 'safe-storage' laws, based on Heller.....all failed......Assault Weapon Bans.....fought based on 'common usage'....failed......

If this goes into effect I will buy 10 more guns over the next three years, and zero for my remaining time on earth. 

Got to get the message to dealers that they have three years more to stay in business.

Got to vote these scumbags out. We can do it if we got out and voted. The parasites don't vote. They're too busy looking in the mail for their free stuff. VOTE. 

If this goes into effect I will buy 10 more guns over the next three years, and zero for my remaining time on earth. 

Got to get the message to dealers that they have three years more to stay in business.

Got to vote these scumbags out. We can do it if we got out and voted. The parasites don't vote. They're too busy looking in the mail for their free stuff. VOTE. 

I hear ya man.  But, as Deer Slayer said, my guys are the good guys! I'm also in district 24.   We need to get the people in the "bad" districts to vote (for *their* good guys)!

NJ AG should:

1. Declare the smart gun law violates SC ruling in Heller / McDonald

2. Clarify that "self defense" fits justifiable need definition

Loretta Weinberg knows this wont stand in court (atleast in SC as it stands) and rather "compromise" now than have all of it thrown out.

I say let them take this to court. What starts in NJ doesnt stop here, the decease will try to spread to other parts. We should all (including NRA) should fight it on its home ground than waiting until it spreads.

the only smart gun is the one in a trained shooters hand.

but anyway I'm not buying that crap. if I'm not home and someone tries to get in my house or do harm to my family how are they supposed to defend themselves?

i say since we give away money to anything we don't need anyway why not have the feds buy a bunch of these and give to cops in newark, trenton, camden, dc, chicago, detroit, etc and do a test run. i bet they run out of living cops before they get positive results.

I say let them waste their money with a lawsuit. The Heller/McDonald ruling is very clear on banning any firearm in common use. Their wasting their time trying to have an unconstitutional law enacted.

Heh....Courts held up NY Safe Act regardless of the 'common use' as ruled in Heller/McDonald....

Voting.....people do vote, but not with the 2A in mind....look at this past November, all the haters cruised right back into office without a hiccup. If THAT wasn't a wake up call on the state affairs in NJ regarding gun rights, nothing will be.

Voting.....people do vote, but not with the 2A in mind....look at this past November, all the haters cruised right back into office without a hiccup. If THAT wasn't a wake up call on the state affairs in NJ regarding gun rights, nothing will be.

WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Look at my previous posts. I've done the analysis and the math. There are 6-8 competitive districts. Voter participation is in the 20% range. We are 1 million strong. We could, by ourselves, vote them out. Problem is the defeatist attitude that thinks there's no point in voting. True if you're talking about the presidential elections, but not for legislative elections.

VOTE.

I hear ya man.  But, as Deer Slayer said, my guys are the good guys! I'm also in district 24.   We need to get the people in the "bad" districts to vote (for *their* good guys)!

Well let's get off our asses, beginning next year, and start getting the vote out. Let's go to the ranges and the gun shops. Let's do anything we can to get shooters and their families to vote. We can do it. WE CAN DO IT. The freaking low lives are not going to vote, but we can.

We should just donate to a new tax exempt organization that arms welfare recipients and contribute to companies that promote solar-powered or flourescent tube black rifles.

Well let's get off our asses, beginning next year, and start getting the vote out. Let's go to the ranges and the gun shops. Let's do anything we can to get shooters and their families to vote. We can do it. WE CAN DO IT. The freaking low lives are not going to vote, but we can.

No the problem is the low lives do vote. They vote to continue the handouts. They leftist machine sends busses to pick them up and bring them to the poles, instructing them what lever to pull. The elderly and the wealthy also vote. Its the idiots in the middle (probably us) that don't vote.

VOTE.

Best chuckle all day......we all knew which districts were competitive, yet where is this mythical 'gun vote' in NJ? Sweeney was in a tight spot, so what happened?

And to top it off, it's been discussed and admitted on this very forum, by 'gun owners', that 2A rights are at the BOTTOM of the list of issues they vote upon.

At of the mythical '1 million strong' gun owners in NJ, there is probably less than 5k who vote based on 2A concerns.