Sign in to follow this  
jm1827

East Hartford Conn. area?

Is anyone familiar with the East Hartford Conn. area?  We have a 3 day softball tournament over the weekend for my daughter and I just wanted to hear from anyone familiar with the area, do we have anything to worry about, any areas to avoid?

The tournament is at the Pratt & Whitney Aircraft club and from the Google street views looks like a decent area.

Thanks-

Cabela's is right there!

I've been there several times...you cannot buy ammo or firearms now, because you need a Connecticut issued card of some sort to buy (what the Sandy Hook folks did to Connecticut and want to do to us),   You can though, buy components.  Go figure

East Hartford is a s%&thole. I lived in Bloomfield which is just north of there.
It's like Cts Camden. You are fine at places like Cabelas and P&W campus but don't go exploring.
Main roads and extra space at stoplights.

East Hartford is a s%&thole. I lived in Bloomfield which is jus north of there.

It's like Cts Camden. You are fine at places like Cabelas and P&W campus but don't go exploring.

Come on, it's no where near the wasteland that Camden is, of course it's not the greatest either

East Hartford is a s%&thole. I lived in Bloomfield which is jus north of there.

OK, been years since ive been there (mid 90's), but it was certainly a sh*thole back then.  nice to see it hasnt gotten much better..  lol

Well, at least it's not Massachusetts. The most anti-American state on the planet.

Anyway, there is this:

CT- Simsbury Monthly Subgun Competition
WhenSunday, Jul 20, 2014
WhereCT- Simsbury (map)
DescriptionPlease see the website at http://metacongunclub.com/CLASSIII.htm for more information about these monthly matches.

I think they allow semiauto but you'll have to call to verify.  I can't imagine it's full auto only up there.  But the subgun matches are full auto only in Maryland, so who knows.

Well, at least it's not Massachusetts. The most anti-American state on the planet.

Anyway, there is this:

CT- Simsbury Monthly Subgun Competition

WhenSunday, Jul 20, 2014

WhereCT- Simsbury (map)

DescriptionPlease see the website at http://metacongunclub.com/CLASSIII.htm for more information about these monthly matches.

I think they allow semiauto but you'll have to call to verify.  I can't imagine it's full auto only up there.  But the subgun matches are full auto only in Maryland, so who knows.

That's my hometown!

There is a state police range right next to Metacon where they actually train with the full auto stuff. I believe there's only one other range where they can train with full auto. It was a very normal thing to hear full auto from several rifles on any given day,

Well, we survived, and my daughter's softball team took 3rd place overall, so not a bad weekend.  While I wouldn't call it Camden it definitely has seen better days.

Oh- and we also went to this place called "Lake Compounce", an amusement park located in the middle of nowhere in Bristol.  It was definitely different, but we had a good time.

Thanks all for the advice!

East Hartford is a s%&thole. I lived in Bloomfield which is just north of there.

No offense, but it's far from being like Camden.  I grew up in Glastonbury and had no problems navigating through the streets of East Hartford.  All in all, I remember growing up we used to joke about some of the other towns bordering Hartford more than our neighbor to the west.

I will be up in Hartford next week for the ARRL centennial (ham radio).

Don't know how you plan on traveling but on the way back we took 84 West to 87 south and we hit no traffic at all.  Definitely better than GWB and probably better than the Tap as well.

Don't know how you plan on traveling but on the way back we took 84 West to 87 south and we hit no traffic at all.  Definitely better than GWB and probably better than the Tap as well.

That's what I usually take when going up there. Where I live is close to I-84 so it's a straight shot up. 

Well, we survived, and my daughter's softball team took 3rd place overall, so not a bad weekend.  While I wouldn't call it Camden it definitely has seen better days.

Oh- and we also went to this place called "Lake Compounce", an amusement park located in the middle of nowhere in Bristol.  It was definitely different, but we had a good time.

Thanks all for the advice!

Congrats on doing well...I've been to Lake Compounce several times with the kids.  Nice place to go.

That's what I usually take when going up there. Where I live is close to I-84 so it's a straight shot up.

I don't where you live in NJ, but for anywhere near the parkway I always take 84 to 684 to 287 across the Tappan Zee to the Parkway.

Gone up there many times....USUALLY the easiest (for us) is the parkway to 87 - Tappan Zee bridge, to 287, to 15 - Meritt Parkway, which eventually connects with 91, that will take you into Hartford.

I'll actually be up there too. Just outside Harford to visit family and go to a concert.

I'll be doing similarly...staying with family in Meriden and driving up to Hartford.