Kimber45

extream windage on my troy battlesights

Hello all. First and for most no troy bashing..... i know they screwed the poch in the past but i think they put out a good product.... anyhow i was at the range yesterday trying to sight in a couple rifles. One is an mforgery the other is a 300 Blk. Both rifles are build on Mega uppers and lowers the mforgery has the standard a2 sight post the blackout is a mkm with the intergrated rail. I was shooting 55 gr federal from a bench 50 yards. I was also using the small aperature. Problem is that by the time i got them sighted in the rear sight was 2/3 to the left.( looking down the barrel. ) now i built both rifles myself and i made sure the a2 sight base is not canted to produce a problem like ive discribed. The barrels were torqued to spec. And all the parts are top notch... now i had the same problem with the blackout. 2/3 to the left to be on target. Now with the upper and rail on the same plain whats the problem??? Iam thinking that its me.....not the sights... can anyone help with this problem? Thanks

Benching it? Any front sights mounted on a rail? Sure you are not pulling to the left? Did you let someone else try it to see if it were you? Need more data... :)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Shooting off a bench. At Easton fish and game they have shooting tables with chairs.... sorry about that... the blackout has a full rail but the m4 just has the standard a2 sight post.... unfortunely no one else was their to critique me though....

Shooting off a bench. At Easton fish and game they have shooting tables with chairs.... sorry about that... the blackout has a full rail but the m4 just has the standard a2 sight post.... unfortunely no one else was their to critique me though....

I have two sets of troy buis that I havent had issues with. Call troy and tell em whats up, see if they will take care if itbunder warranty.

I had a rear sight on a scar that had the same issue. Was pushed all the way to the right in order to shoot straight. Never figured out what the issue was.

...don't give up on them yet. Because you said you are having probs with two similar guns, get someone that shoots well to the range with you and let them try it. Or at least maybe get a bore sighter.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

For a rear sight or be adjusted to the extreme, either your head position is really wrong or so something else is wrong. Think about it, by that point it is way off center, you should be able to see that is off center vs the receiver. If it is off enter , then the problem is elsewhere, not the rear sight.

For a rear sight or be adjusted to the extreme, either your head position is really wrong or so something else is wrong. Think about it, by that point it is way off center, you should be able to see that is off center vs the receiver. If it is off enter , then the problem is elsewhere, not the rear sight.

If its your first rifle and new to iron sights I agree.

If you have multiple ars with irons that work and you have one with irons that dont it might be the sights.

Thanks guys. No this isnt my first rifle and iam pretty good with arms. Just that this has been the first time ive run into this problem. I have 2 other ars with irons and have had no issues.... i also didnt mention that i had a set of Magpul MBUS on the blackout and it was right on the money pretty much right out of the box.....I just really liked the robustess of the Troys....

Thanks guys. No this isnt my first rifle and iam pretty good with arms. Just that this has been the first time ive run into this problem. I have 2 other ars with irons and have had no issues.... i also didnt mention that i had a set of Magpul MBUS on the blackout and it was right on the money pretty much right out of the box.....I just really liked the robustess of the Troys....

FWIW the durability of the magpuls seem pretty good

When I said something else is wrong I didn't mean just the shooter.

Simple test, look at the rifle. Can you see the rear aperture noticeably off center on the rear receiver?  If the answer is yes, then it isn't the rear sight that is broken.

What I'm getting at here is that either the barrel and front sight are perfect and the rear aperture is then centered on the receiver but it is 2/3 adjusted which means the rear sight itself is odd OR the aperture is NOT center on the receiver which means that for it to be adjusted this much there has to be something wrong with the front sight or the shooter. Having eliminated the shooter because of previous experience, if the aperture is noticeably of center   that leaves us front sight having an issue or the gun shooting sideways for whatever reason. This being a new gun build, these aren't impossibilities.

I'm still new to firearms. Especially the AR platform. But is it possible your looking in the wrong place? This is a build right? Could the barrel nut be torqued too much, causing the front sight post to off a smidge?

I have a troy folding rear sight, no problems.

Per chance do you have a detachable carry handle you can mount on the rail?

I find it much easier to sight down the plane if the carry handle to visually check if the FSB is canted to one side.

If you don't have one, I could lend you one for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks all so much for your input. I knew there was a reason i joi ed this forum......lol. Griz when a was said and done the rifles were shooting 2 1/2 to 3 inches at 50 yards off the bench. Vlad, I understand what you meant....lol no offence taken.. no iam not a dead eye dick with the long arm YET..... but most ofmy years shooting have been with handguns and shot guns... been rifles serously for about 6 years now. Bought my first ar at Sarcos when they were in Stirling back in 94.. the problem was no place to shoot it.Displaced Tex... thanks for the offer but i have one or two or maybe three laying around....LOL....Anyhow iam going to remove the sights and mechanical zero them recheck the FSP on the M4 and put the Magpuls back on the blackout hit the range on tuesday or wedenday. And get this figured out.... Again thanks everyone for the input... i will keep you posted