gunnarsport

Lost interest, but maybe back

Hi,

I got into this hobby a few years ago and was consumed by it for a while. Purchased 3 handguns, all the accessories, was on this forum ALL the time reading and

posting, than just lost interest. But I may like to rekindle it again.

What ever happened to Pizza Bob and Maksim? I was just looking around and dont see any more posts from them. Are they gone and lost interest too?

Thanks

Hi,

I got into this hobby a few years ago and was consumed by it for a while. Purchased 3 handguns, all the accessories, was on this forum ALL the time reading and

What ever happened to Pizza Bob and Maskim? I was just looking around and dont see any more posts from them. Are they gone and lost interest too?

Thanks

Both still post here occasionally.  Maksim, of course, is the forum's owner....  But very busy... Still, he might show up here or in the chat room.

I'm sort of in the beginner stage of really getting involved. I honestly hope I never lose interest like you did. Protecting your rights/family/self isn't something I think I wanna lose interest in. Maybe try building yourself a tactical shotgun, or start researching AR parts or something like that to rekindle the interest. Hope you get back into it fully soon!

Hi,

What ever happened to Pizza Bob and Maksim? I was just looking around and dont see any more posts from them. Are they gone and lost interest too?

Thanks

How many times do you get out to the range? Go more?

Do you go to any gun games? Steel Shoot matches at Central jersey.....IDPA,USPSA.

Go to a meet and meet forum members. Shoot Clays with us at Clinton WMA once a month.

Buy ARs m AKs, Shotguns.

.....all of these things have kept my interest going.

Go shoot a match, if you have only shot paper targets they get boring. Shoot a steel match or USPSA or any other match and I would be you get the feeling back!! I know i look forward to the weekends to shoot matches! or sell your stuff and get a chess set

I kind of lost interest in shooting too but then I bought a new rifle. That solved the problem for me. I think you need to buy a new gun, maybe a shotgun or rifle to add to your handguns. Try shooting trap or skeet it's a lot of fun shooting at moving targets.

One of the things I would like to do is get a basic home defense 12g shotgun and start modding it into a tactical shotgun. I think something like that can keep your interest at a low cost for a while. I already have a Winchester 1300 Defender in the closet, so wanna get something to mod next.

One of the things I would like to do is get a basic home defense 12g shotgun and start modding it into a tactical shotgun. I think something like that can keep your interest at a low cost for a while. I already have a Winchester 1300 Defender in the closet, so wanna get something to mod next.

I bought the Mossberg 930 SemiAuto 12G "Home Security" model  (18" open barrel, 4+1) and "pimped" it up to an "almost" JMPro. (6+1,. 28"  barrel with modified choke, JMPro style charge handle, bracket, etc. etc.)... It doesn't have the beveled edges or internals of a JM Pro, but it works well. :)

I bought the Mossberg 930 SemiAuto 12G "Home Security" model  (18" open barrel, 4+1) and "pimped" it up to an "almost" JMPro. (6+1,. 28"  barrel with modified choke, JMPro style charge handle, bracket, etc. etc.)... It doesn't have the beveled edges or internals of a JM Pro, but it works well. :)

I'm looking into the Mossberg Maverick 88 model. Seems to have a lot of tactical accessories made for it. Less then $250 for the gun and prices for the mods are cheap. Should be a fun project. I already have my Winchester 1300, but that was given to me from my father so I don't wanna mess with that one :)

I bought the Mossberg 930 SemiAuto 12G "Home Security" model (18" open barrel, 4+1) and "pimped" it up to an "almost" JMPro. (6+1,. 28" barrel with modified choke, JMPro style charge handle, bracket, etc. etc.)... It doesn't have the beveled edges or internals of a JM Pro, but it works well. :)

I shot that baby at Clinton, I liked it. Nice choice for a HD shotty.

So your daughter told me today that she is patently awaiting her 13th birthday. Apparently you told her you would take her shooting then. She seems pretty excited to learn. She also told me she doesn't want to kill animals and hang them on the wall like I do lol... but it would probably be a good idea to enroll her in a hunter safety course, its a free introduction to proper gun safety for kids. Plus you never know one day she may change her mind about wanting to go hunting. I have a few youth model long guns you can use with her when she is ready to begin learning.

So your daughter told me today that she is patently awaiting her 13th birthday. Apparently you told her you would take her shooting then. She seems pretty excited to learn. She also told me she doesn't want to kill animals and hang them on the wall like I do lol... but it would probably be a good idea to enroll her in a hunter safety course, its a free introduction to proper gun safety for kids. Plus you never know one day she may change her mind about wanting to go hunting. I have a few youth model long guns you can use with her when she is ready to begin learning.

Absolutely agree with her taking a course. I was gonna look into picking her up an age appropriate sized rifle but if you have one she can use I'd be more then happy to borrow it LOL! Between me, you and my father I think we'll get her taught soon enough. She does seem interested which I'm excited for. She's also been told for years about the dangers/safety that needs to be taken in regards to any gun.

Thanks, all this is true. I have acutally thought about buying a shotgun for try trap, skeet shooting. I am a pure lefty though. What are the great lefty friendly shotguns?

I dont know any specfic ones. I ve been a lefty all my life shooting right hand stuff. Its just a matter of practice.

There is a shotgun shoot coming up at Clinton WMA in Clinton,NJ.

You can try out many shorguns there and see which one you like best.

You ll like shootign at moving targets if you heavent done it already.

Thanks, all this is true. I have acutally thought about buying a shotgun for try trap, skeet shooting. I am a pure lefty though. What are the great lefty friendly shotguns?

You can come shoot trap at Citizens' Rifle and Revolver Club in West Windsor on Sundays @1pm and Tuesdays @6pm.

I am also strongly left handed, so I feel your pain.

For trap and skeet, where you should only be loading-up just before your turn, the safety is more trouble than its worth.  Leave it off.  

For hunting, where you're walking the woods, the safety becomes an issue.  I can manipulate a right-handed safety located behind the trigger, but it's awkward, and involves sliding my left hand down around the grip to work the safety, then bringing the hand back.  Never reach thru the trigger guard to work the safety!  Its too easy to accidentally press the trigger.  I find the right-hand safety in front of the trigger to be hopeless...I have to work the safety before I've got the shotgun all the way to my shoulder, which isn't really that safe.

Guns that I HAVE USED and find lefty-friendly:

--Almost any double barrel - SXS or O/U - the safety's on top rear of the receiver.  Work it with your thumb. 

--Browning BPS - safety's on the top rear, just like the doubles, and loads/ejects from the underside.  Single-loading the BPS for trap takes some practice, though.  You can't just drop a shell in the ejector port and close the action.  Overall fit & finish is awesome...I love 'em.

--Mossberg 500 - Safety's on the top rear again, but it side-ejects, and the shell comes out flying past your face.  Personally, I don't care, but many lefties do.  500's are cheap guns; but they work.  I had one years ago, traded it, don't miss it at all.  

--Stevens 67 Pump - Another cheap gun with the safety on the top rear, tosses shells past your face, just like the Mossberg 500.  My son has one; typical Stevens manufacture - not especially elegant and built like a tank!

--Remington 870 Pump - Safety's on the rear of the trigger guard.  Remington makes a true mirror image version for us lefties, which means the empties aren't flying past your nose.  A reversed safety to convert the rightie to leftie is also available and cheap ($15-20).  There are two versions of the 870 - the express, which is the cheap version, and the Wingmaster.  The Express is the cheaper version, and lacks the fit and finish of the Wingmaster; which, IMHO, is in the same class as the Browning BPS.  Early Express shotguns were a pretty good value; newer ones have experienced significant issues with shell extraction that binds-up the gun.  While they can be fixed (I have fixed and still own a recent-manufacture true-lefty Express) Remington has no excuse for their shoddy manufacturing on the Express...and right now I wouldn't buy one.  I've heard nasty rumors about similar problems with the rest of Remington's line.

--Winchester 1400 - Safety on trigger guard - had one years ago, and for a short while it was my primary hunting gun.  Back then, if you sent the trigger mechanism to Winchester, they would reverse the safety and mail it back to you.  I have no idea if the 'new' Winchester will do this with any of their shotguns.

Good luck finding what works for you

W2MC

Absolutely agree with her taking a course. I was gonna look into picking her up an age appropriate sized rifle but if you have one she can use I'd be more then happy to borrow it LOL! Between me, you and my father I think we'll get her taught soon enough. She does seem interested which I'm excited for. She's also been told for years about the dangers/safety that needs to be taken in regards to any gun.

Im on board. So you didn't give me a nephew, but ill take a niece thats into going shooting any day!:lol: