brucin

Received my New York CCW today

Using the recent Osterweil vs Bartlett decision since I own a home in NY as well as NJ I decided to apply for my NY pistol permit.

I submitted my paperwork on 7/8 was fingerprinted on 8/5 and was issued my restricted (fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, and target shooting permit today.

It was overall not as difficult as getting my NJ FPID and P2P's.

The judge informed me that I can now purchase handguns in NY as my permit is a resident permit.

Not really looking for anything right now except 10 round Beretta 92 and Sig SP 2022 mags.

Using the recent Osterweil vs Bartlett decision since I own a home in NY as well as NJ I decided to apply for my NY pistol permit.

I submitted my paperwork on 7/8 was fingerprinted on 8/5 and was issued my restricted (fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, and target shooting permit today.

It was overall not as difficult as getting my NJ FPID and P2P's.

The judge informed me that I can now purchase handguns in NY as my permit is a resident permit.

Not really looking for anything right now except 10 round Beretta 92 and Sig SP 2022 mags.

New York City?  Or "State?"  If "State," which county?  Just curious... :)

Unfortunately, it seems the one thing excluded from that list (hunting, fishing, etc.), is "HD/SD.."    :facepalm:

Damn that is fast, there are people waiting up to a year and half to get a pistol permit in parts of New York State. Even some upstate counties, people have been waiting for as long as 10 months. I have been following some of the threads at nyfirearms.com in the "Pistol Permit" section.

http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/

If anyone is interested, there is a map that shows which counties are shall issue, may issue or no issue. The map is a bit dated but for the most part fairly accurate as of 2010.  http://nyfirearms.com/forums/pistol-permits/6709-revised-permit-map.html

NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

New York City?  Or "State?"  If "State," which county?  Just curious... :)

Unfortunately, it seems the one thing excluded from that list (hunting, fishing, etc.), is "HD/SD.."    :facepalm:

NY state. Fulton County. The judge specifically mentioned that I can keep it loaded at home for protection. It was suggested that I only load it once I get to the location of the approved activities to "save potential issues with some law enforcement"

The judge also told me, which I already knew that it was not good in NYC and to avoid travelling through NYC while transporting firearms.

Ask the judge to have the restrictions removed on the grounds of self defense. It's worked for others

We had a conversation about that also. We discused retirement plans and I was told if I get an unrestricted permit from my next home state my restrictions will be lifted.

I have also heard from other residents that after a year and an NRA safety course restrictions will be lifted so we shall see in a year or so.

I own property and pay taxes in ny. Wondr if thatll count?

As long as you spend plenty of time there. I spend about 60 to 80 days a year there.

It also depends on what county your property is in. Fulton county where my property is is one of the most 2nd amendment friendly counties in the state.

Some counties my not be as cooperative but there is case law ie: Osterweil vs Bartlett which if you have to appeal a denial should get you approved.

check out this site http://nyfirearms.com/forums/ to find out info about your counties position on the 2nd amendment.

good luck

We had a conversation about that also. We discused retirement plans and I was told if I get an unrestricted permit from my next home state my restrictions will be lifted.

I have also heard from other residents that after a year and an NRA safety course restrictions will be lifted so we shall see in a year or so.

Well they will certainly be convenient.

So it's not really a CCW.

NY doesn't issue CCWs, even NY city doesn't issue CCWs.  They issue pistol permits, and they can issue them with or without restrictions. Sounds like you got one with restrictions, probably hunting and target. 

It's a start anyway. I know people who got their restrictions removed after about a year. But they are residents, not nonresidents. 

NY doesn't issue CCWs, even NY city doesn't issue CCWs.  They issue pistol permits, and they can issue them with or without restrictions. Sounds like you got one with restrictions, probably hunting and target. 

It's a start anyway. I know people who got their restrictions removed after about a year. But they are residents, not nonresidents. 

I actually look at it the other way. They are all CCWs (if not in name), they simply come with restrictions for many people when first issued.

There is no New Jersey pistol permit that allows you to carry a gun anywhere beyond what you could do without it.

It's called a "License to carry a pistol". The restrictions listed on the back are "hunting/sportsmans". The judge gave me a form to sign that states it is good for hunting, fishing, hiking, camping and target. 

Since I can walk to the lake from my house to go fishing I can carry if I want. Not that I would need it up there.

It's called a "License to carry a pistol". The restrictions listed on the back are "hunting/sportsmans". The judge gave me a form to sign that states it is good for hunting, fishing, hiking, camping and target. 

That's not bad at all compared to NJ. I'd establish my residency at a campground :D Good luck getting the restrictions lifted.

I doubt I'll ever carry in NY. I won't even go to NY. I just load up the trunk and drive through. I turn down work from NY businesses and tell them I don't do business with them, and I tell them it's because we don't do businesses with NY. Every one of them seemed shocked. Like I should be delighted to get the chance to work for a NY company. They ask why and I just say it's our policy.

That's not bad at all compared to NJ. I'd establish my residency at a campground :D Good luck getting the restrictions lifted.

Everyone calls their home around the lake a camp already so I guess I'm good to go. :gaming: