Sign in to follow this  
brucin

A nice Pearl Harbor tribute

I know there are not very many soccer fans on the boards but I wanted to let you know about this.

Today was the MLS (US first division) league championship match and as with most american sports during the National Anthem there was a fly over by US military planes.

Today's was a little different. Six or seven planes from WW2 were the fly over planes. It was a very nice tribute to the greatest generation.

I can't identify the planes but I'm sure it is on Youtube for you serious aviation buffs.

We have a family Reunion in Ohio every 2nd Year. My granddad and a lot of older family members remember exactly what they were doing when the news was announced on the radio.

By the way despite the surprise attack there were 29 Japanese planes shot down that day over Hawaii

image.jpg

Saw that. Nice tribute.

Right result. Wrong team. I wanted New England to win.

Saw that. Nice tribute.

Right result. Wrong team. I wanted New England to win.

It should have been a much better game but LA played like crap and yet they still won.

I'm a news hound. I subscribe to a dozen sites and check Drudge 5-6 times a day. All sorts of stuff about our rape society, transgender, black rage, white privilege. But didn't see a single mention of 12/7/1941 anywhere. 

I agree. Since Pearl Harbor there's an event like that every twenty years or so.

I wasn't around for Challenger, but IMHO Challenger wasn't a national tragedy like the others. It was sad, sure, but people stopped in their tracks and went home in 1941, 1963, and 2001.

I've found it odd that Columbia had much less of an impact in society.

I wasn't around for Challenger, but IMHO Challenger wasn't a national tragedy like the others. It was sad, sure, but people stopped in their tracks and went home in 1941, 1963, and 2001.

I've found it odd that Columbia had much less of an impact in society.

Challenger was not as big an impact as Pearl Harbor, JFK, or 9/11 but still is a "where were you" event. Reagan had a few years of revitalizing the country and IIRC was the one who decided to send a teacher into space. I think the Colombia disaster was overshadowed by the fact it was so soon after 9/11 and people were focused on avenging 9/11. We weren't in Iraq yet and people were looking for our troops in Afghanistan to find OBL. There were people too busy ragging on Bush about the WMDs in Iraq they said weren't there. These weapons that "didn't exist" are now in the hands of ISIS.

Pearl Harbor was on a Sunday so most people weren't working anyway. My Mother worked in a bank in Newark at time of Pearl Harbor and the day after she had to go to NYC to take something to a branch there. She told me a lot of people were concerned NYC was going to be bombed. Word on the JFK assassination got out in mid afternoon. I was in Mrs Gibson's english class. It was about 2.30 pm. Many people were getting ready to go home anyway. For Challenger, I was in the hospital. On 9/11 I can't speak for other areas but traffic was pretty much gridlocked around NY. People couldn't get to work anyway.