Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

NJ.COM Comments Broken or Intermittent?

For the last 48 hours or so the Comments on NJ.COM have appeared to be totally off (unavailable and invisible), or partially on. The behavior is slightly different in Chrome or IE 11, but in either browser they are not working consistently. Article titles may not show comments available, or show comments available but they never load. And then, sometimes, they do.

Is anyone else seeing this? I have multiple machines and they are all exhibiting the same symptom, regardless of IE version or OS.

I’m a Firefox user and I haven’t been able to seen comments on nj.com for over year. In my case I attribute it to one of the extensions like noscript or adblock. That said its odd that you can't see it with IE,  if I use IE I could see everything including at the ads but I opt not to use IE,  I only use IE on sites that don’t work with FF such as a bank site or vendor's online shopping cart 

OK, I found the problem. It's a DNS issue, apparently with the CenturyLink servers allocated to NW NJ network segments. They won't resolve the name advancedigital.bootstrap.fyre.co, so the comments won't load on the pages regardless of what browser I'm using. When I switch my machine's primary DNS reference to a Google server (for example) the name is resolved and everything works.

Update: So I included one of Google's public servers (8.8.8.8) in my local DNS server forwarder list, and now everything is fine. By the way the name advancedigital.bootstrap.fyre.co actually resolves to

usea1l3-620807209.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com [107.23.159.19]

So apparently Fyre is using Amazon web services and/or hosting.