Shawnmoore81

Welding a muzzle brake

First, your title says welding, your discription says pinning, big difference.  Welding or pinning?

Two, as long as the owner is still in your presence. I don't see the harm in helping a friend out.  Doing it for money, now your a business and I'm sure you know the rules on that!

Are you doing the work at a location where you have other components available to make a complete evil death machine? If not, you're just welding two chunks of metal together.

I'm sure I'll come back later to see this thread reach 10+ pages.

https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

On barrels that are already 16" you are probably fine following NJ guidelines alone. However, I'm pretty sure that if you are permanently attaching a brake on a < 16" in order to make the 16" requirement for a rifle as designated by federal law it is more specific in approved methods than just making "permanent".

The ATF procedure for measuring barrel length is to measure from the closed bolt (or breech-face) to the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device. Permanent methods of attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over. Barrels are measured by inserting a dowel rod into the barrel until the rod stops against the bolt or breech-face. The rod is then marked at the furthermost end of the barrel or permanently attached muzzle device, withdrawn from the barrel, and measured.

https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-chapter-2.pdf

I am sure someone more versed in this than me will be along shortly to verify or correct me.

Are you an FFL holder?