antiriad

NJ Compliant Finnish Valmet M62S - What mods do I need?

To make the long story short

My uncle is retiring overseas after 45+ years in New jersey and he left me all his guns including a pristine condition Valmet M62S AK-47 Variant(along with the Bayonet).

he had purchased this in the early 70s in NJ (long before all the Assault  Ban BS on 1994) and was taken in the range only once with a total of about 90 rounds runned through it.

The rifle is exacly like the one shown below.

I very well understand that NJ mags are limited to 15 rounds only but I am very concerned about the flash hider/bayonet slot to the front of the rifle. That seems to be the

big no-no since it is a 2 strike evil characteristics right there. What would be my best best in making this rifle NJ Compliant? Can the flash hider/Bayo lug be easily removed

and install a regular muzzle break? Is the muzzle threaded. It seems that the pin is welded. I really don't want to ruin this rifle. The easiest modification I thought I can probably do

without much effort is to install a thumbhole one piece stock but the Muzzle will still be an issue. Do these rifles have interchangable parts with the regular AKs?

Thanks in advance

Mike

033.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

I used to see those on the back wall of Edelmans when I was a kid in the 80s. *Drool*

That was actually my AK before I knew what an AK was. I made display quality colored pencil drawings of them and sketched distorted versions of them on my book covers in school.

One of my friends was similarly enamored with them and talked about them whenever it came to "big mean guns" 80s high school conversations. He tried to help out a girl who was being abused in the 90s and the abuser and the girl drove him out to the desert and murdered him.

I used to see those on the back wall of Edelmans when I was a kid in the 80s. *Drool*

That was actually my AK before I knew what an AK was. I made display quality colored pencil drawings of them and sketched distorted versions of them on my book covers in school.

One of my friends was similarly enamored with them and talked about them whenever it came to "big mean guns" 80s high school conversations. He tried to help out a girl who was being abused in the 90s and the abuser and the girl drove him out to the desert and murdered him.

LOL

How the times have changed. Nowadays kids even if they use their hands as a gun at school can get them expelled. God knows what can happen if they draw a gun on a sketch book.

That tells you that is probably coming in the next 20-30 years or so.

I'm not sure how it works with NJ ban list cause this rifle is specifically listed there .....

If it's on the list, no go.  Sorry.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a thumb hole stock considered a pistol grip anyway?

Grey area.  There's no exact definition of "pistol grip"

LOL

How the times have changed. Nowadays kids even if they use their hands as a gun at school can get them expelled. God knows what can happen if they draw a gun on a sketch book.

That tells you that is probably coming in the next 20-30 years or so.

I don't want to go too far off topic but I drew guns on all my book covers. On one book cover I wrote down the names of every firearms company I could think of because I thought it was cool. When I went to the bathroom somebody snagged my book. I realized I didn't have it when I went to my next class and went back and found it on my desk. Some joker wrote down the names of every fast food and junk food company all over it :D I had to throw it out, complete with my artwork.

I think Softmore or Junior year one teacher said she was giving away books on the shelf because they were out of date, the library already had a couple, and nobody wanted them. So I took some and blasted the crap out of them with my Mini-14 and my .22. You would be surprised how much book a .22 rifle will go through. One of them I messed up so bad I had to wrap it in plastic wrap (my parents didn't buy large plastic bags I guess). So I brought them back to school and showed them off. The teacher told me I couldn't have anymore books because all I did was shoot them. Word got around and nobody would give me books.

I think it was the next year that one of my teachers had a few copies of a very valuable book with scientific reference materials. He showed me a pile of them he didn't use anymore from various dates and I asked him if I could have one. He wouldn't give it to me because he thought I would just shoot it. It took a couple of weeks to convince him to give it to me and I still have it :D Haven't used it for a few years, though. It's a CRC, and as some people know, the older ones are often more comprehensive than the recent ones.