medved11

NPAP - Which FCG Retainer Clip Should I Use?

I picked up an NPAP yesterday and I want to replace the shepards hook with a retainer clip.

I tried inserting a Krebs clip that a friend gave me but I couldn't get it to give me a positive "click" when I pushed the front fork of the clip into the pin. I was able to get the safety lever reinstalled, but I'm not 100% convinced that the clip is properly installed.

Is there a different clip (Tapco?) that someone here has successfully installed in an NPAP? Or, is there a good way to test that the Krebs plate that I put in is doing its job correctly?

If you've installed the plate correctly, it shouldn't move once you have it snapped into the ridges on the hammer and trigger pins and you place the selector lever pin through it to hold it in place.  The ridges keep the plate pinned against the receiver so it can't slide around.  If you're not sure, post a photo.

Okay - I think that I've got the picture attaching issue resolved. Here are the two best shots that I could take at the moment. The plate looks like it is tight up against the receiver wall but I'm concerned that the front fork may not be fully engaged. Please let me know what you think

post-8214-0-60682900-1431902930_thumb.jpg

post-8214-0-80522000-1431902947_thumb.jpg

MedVed11. That looks fine. I have a Krebs also and it didnt click in. As long as the fork is in the pi s grove you will be good to go. The only way it will fall out is if your selector pin falls out and iam sure you would notice that.....good luck..

MedVed11. That looks fine. I have a Krebs also and it didnt click in. As long as the fork is in the pi s grove you will be good to go. The only way it will fall out is if your selector pin falls out and iam sure you would notice that.....good luck..

Thanks - I was thinking the same thing last night (that the pins falling out when firing would be the best test to see if it's installed correctly). I'm going to leave this one alone for now and install the Tapco plate that I got from Amazon in the C39v2.

How did ya make out?

Everything's fine so far - Thanks for the tips. I used a screw driver to slide the spring coil over a little and I could see that the fork was in the proper space between the receiver wall and the ridge on the pin. I then took a brass punch and tried to push the pins to see if they would come out under pressure but they're holding firm. The real test will be tomorrow when I take it to the range for the first time and put some rounds through it. 

I bought a Power Custom and Tapco plate as back-up but this one seems to be doing the job (I'll have to pick up two new AKs to install these plates into). Any thoughts on what I should look for as my next purchase? I'm going to pick up WASR soon to use as something that I can strip down and rebuild but I'd like to dip my toe into the upper middle range AKs as well. Let me know what you think.