Sign in to follow this  
Stonecoldchavez

Some handgun suggestions

Maybe the slide has the Bomar dovetail cut, but not Bomar sights. They have been gone for quite a while now.

Correct, Bomar cut, not Bomar sights.  The sights actually have the springfield logo on them.

The more you stick to a "Series 70" or "Series 80" design style in 1911 the easier it will be to get parts and do upgrades in the future to. 

T- Bill-

Can you please explain what you said? I do not know what you mean be Series 70 or Series 80.  Thanks.

S.

For a carry gun in .45 ACP, I would look at the S&W M&P 45C instead of a 1911.  That would be my carry gun in .45 ACP. And, the S&W 625 that was suggested would be an awesome revolver idea. 

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions on the 1911's. Today I purchased a Springfield Loaded 1911 in .45cal. Full size. My first 1911. Trijicon Nitesights.  I like the way it feels in my hand. I cannot wait to get to the range and shoot it. Not sure on how I feel about the ambi safety selector, but oh well, I never had a 1911 so I guess I do not know what I am missing.

I also read there has been some controvesy about where the Springfield 1911's are made, USA or Brazil. According to my serial number, it looks like it was made/assembled in the US.

Thank you to Howell Gun Works for their excellent customer service.

Now if I could only post a picture.......

I've got a Springfield Loaded Stainless and a Colt Commander, my wife has a Para Expert in Stainless. I have to say that I'm actually surprised how little difference there is between the 3 of them as far as quality is concerned.

My wife's Para was a substantially less expensive than the other two, about a third less after rebates, but it operates every bit as well as the others. Aesthetically it is not in the same class as the Springfield or Colt. It's a simple bead blasted Stainless steel with a few plack pieces, this can't compete with the polished and brushed surfaces on the Springfield or the smooth bluing on the Colt, but it shoots just as well and cost 1/3 less. As mentioned before, the included (8 round) mags aren't the best, but that's an easy fix. The slide is tight and smooth, the safety, slide release and mag release all work well. The gun turned out to be a great value.

My Springfield is my favorite of the three. It shoots well and looks great. It was a few bucks more than the Colt but you get a lot for the money. The Colt is the standard Commander, series 80 with standard trigger, safety, beavertail and sights. The Springfield came with the extended beavertail and extended ambi safety, better sights and skeletonized trigger. The Springfield also came in a much nicer case than the others.

By comparison, the Colt is old school, no bells and whistles but it's a classic 1911. The blued finish is beautiful. The Commander length kicks a little more, as expected, but the difference is minimal. The included mags (7 round) are identical to the Springfield's aside from being stamped "Colt." Parts fit is equal to the Springfield, for the most part it would be tough to say one is better than the other. The big exceptions are the slide release and safety. Out of the box, both were very stiff. After a couple hundred rounds the slide release is breaking in. The safety is better, but still pretty stiff.

All in all, the biggest difference between the 3 in aesthetic. Build quality is pretty close but if I had to pick one it would be the Springfield. The Colt is tighter than I think it needs to be and will need to break in. The Para's beavertail has just a hair more play than the others, not enough to be objectionable, or even noticeable without the three being side by side. The triggers are all very good. If I were to pick a winner, it would probably be the Colt. It's a tough call though. If the Colt is a 100, the Springfield is a 99 and the Para is a 98.8. It's really a matter of splitting hairs at that point, they're all good.

I know the Colt wasn't on the list, but it's a good benchmark for comparison. The Springfield Loaded is pretty similar to the RO and the Para is on the list. I am not into any individual brand, the Kimber CDP Compact is on my short list (next set of permits) and there are a couple (non-1911) Rugers in the safe that I am very happy with. I am not a fan of external extractors so I can't help you with those.

Edit: Doh!!! I missed that there was a page 2. I'll leave my post for those who might be searching later on. Great choice, good luck with it. BTW, you should be able to find 45ACP for .35-40, even less in bulk.I picked up 1000 rounds of Fiocchi for $375 shipped a year or 2 ago, I've seen it for $335 recently.