High Exposure

S&W Shoots Themselves in the Foot

I think he actually did

So how does a consumer modified product sold as an original...have anything to do with a dealer modified product sold under the name of the original product?

I'm just trying to figure out why anyone is using an example that includes the sale of the original product.

Can I take a Noveske, replace everything for cheaper parts except the receivers and then sell it as a budget noveske? I'm gonna guess no. Which leads me back to my original question, at what point does this business behavior become unacceptable.

Now, Smith and Wesson can't stop them from doing this other then removing their name from the product name. Let's say Brownells screwed something up big time, does the S&W name bear that mistake? That association should be inherent from the product name. Unless given permission to use the name.

So how does a consumer modified product sold as an original...have anything to do with a dealer modified product sold under the name of the original product?

I'm just trying to figure out why anyone is using an example that includes the sale of the original product.

Can I take a Noveske, replace everything for cheaper parts except the receivers and then sell it as a budget noveske? I'm gonna guess no. Which leads me back to my original question, at what point does this business behavior become unacceptable.

Now, Smith and Wesson can't stop them from doing this other then removing their name from the product name. Let's say Brownells screwed something up big time, does the S&W name bear that mistake? That association should be inherent from the product name. Unless given permission to use the name.

What I meant is that Shawn actually put a blower IIRC on his Mustang. It was a joke.

I agree with S&W's right to take action and possibly their obligation to take action (trademark rules). How they do it is another story.

Brownells is absolutely stupid. You don't modify a gun, rename it including the copyright name, and sell it as new without consulting the copyright holder.

I see both sides of the issue. S&W should protect their trademark/product. But I think Brownells Dream Gun Project this is more like a firearms version of MTV's "Pimp My Ride." It's a fun project that the public likes...we all modify our firearms to one extent or another. S&W should be using it to promote their product as highly customizable to the general public.

Hell I don't see Glock complaining and they has every accessory imaginable...it's the Mr.Potato Head of pistols lol. I think S&W would love to steal some business from Glock.

This all got overblown. S&W farms out the trademark watchdog work to a law firm. This makes sense as s&w branding covers a ton of crap other than firearms.

The legal firm saw the dream gun thing and figured this was going to be an ongoing retail offering that would dilute their mark.

The actual people in charge of s&w have stepped in and wrangled the stupid already.