maintenanceguy

Bought a Hogleg Revolver

I ordered a North American Arms Hogleg revolver.  It's one of the NAA "magnum" size guns which is a little larger than the .22 and .22 short "mini's" they make.  this model has a 6 inch barrel.

I wanted it with the conversion cylinder so I can shoot .22 mags or .22lr and .22 shorts.  All that was available was the .22mag cylinder with the gun.    As soon as I got it, I shipped it right back to the manufacturer in UT to have a .22lr cylinder added and have the new cylinder timed.  It came back a week after I shipped it. 

To load the cylinder, the arm under the barrel folds down similar to an old black powder revolver.  Once it's out of the way, the cylinder pin is removed and the cylinder can be removed from the gun.

The new cylinder was only $50.  I didn't realize it had to ship UPS or FedEx next day from NJ to UT.  The shipping each way cost me twice what the cylinder cost.  But I'm not complaining.  I've already put a box of mags through it and half a box of .22lr.  Looking forward to the warm up this weekend to give it a real trial.  forgive the terrible second picture, just wanted to give an idea of how big (or little) it is in the hand.

hogleg1.jpg

hogleg2.jpg

Congratulations Ryan! I have the short barreled .22 LR only version and I love it. I have the same grips as I did not like the rounded

black plastic ones that came with it. Still an awkward feel in my hand but I love it's tiny size.

I have an extra .22 LR cylinder in the magnum length. My brother sold his NAA a while back but had misplaced the LR cylinder so now I have

it but it won't fit my LR only version. It looks like it was never used if someone can use it.

My father had the NAA mini with the smaller, rounded grips.  Could get just about a finger and a half on the grip - but still a neat gun.

Just so you know, NAA won't sell the conversion cylinders unless you return the gun to have them time the new cylinder.  I really don't know what they do when they have the gun or why this is necessary.  Maybe one slipped though quality control once upon a time with a defect and somebody got hurt.  But, worth considering if you want to use a foreign cylinder with your gun.

I have the older version that did NOT have the notches for the hammer to rest in. I understand that NAA will replace or modify the

cylinder but I question the shipping and possible FFL charges if applicable in this case. Is it really worth the cost and hassle?

I didn't know anything about shipping a firearm.  Turns out you can do it yourself as long as you're shipping to a FFL, which includes the manufacturer.  They can ship it back to the address the gun came from only.  And it can't ship USPS.  Both FedEx and UPS want guns shipped by next day air, which isn't cheap to UT.  I have a commercial UPS account so I get a discounted price and I spent $105 on shipping round trip.

Thanks Ryan. My company has an account as well and I suppose I could ship it from there and back to there. There is that pesky PRNJ

statute though about transporting a handgun to and from a range. I doubt my office would be an exemption of that statute as I do not own the company.

What are your thoughts? Is the gun really that unsafe without those cutouts on the cylinder?

Got another picture of this little revolver with my largest revolver for size comparison.  This is my new NAA Hogleg revolver with both the .22lr and .2mag cylinders and 6" barrel next to my Taurus Judge with 3" chamber and 3" barrel.

NAA-hogleg-revolver-with-taurus-judge-sm