GramGun79

First Time

So in the two years I've been shooting today was the first time I actually tried to be precise with my shots vs aiming center mass on target.

I shot a Scar 17 for the first time at 50 yds

Vortex strike eagle scope (very nice for the price)

Shot off bench with bipod.

How did I do?

e5dcc14c2ed0ad618219f541748f6238.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The standard is MOA or minute of angle.  If you can shoot sub MOA, then you are highly accurate.

1 MOA is 1" (aprox) at 100 yds or 2" at 200 yds or 3" at 300 yds, etc.  At 50 yds, if your group size is 1/2" or less, then you did well.

Be careful...shooting precision rifle is addicting.  That said, we could use some new blood inthe Precision Rifle forum, lol.

The standard is MOA or minute of angle. If you can shoot sub MOA, then you are highly accurate.

"Precise", actually. Group size is a measure of precision. That's the hard part, as you need to tune your technique, gun, and ammo to maximize precision.

Accuracy is a measure of how close your group is to where you want it to be. Accuracy is easier to achieve; you adjust your sights.

The standard is MOA or minute of angle.  If you can shoot sub MOA, then you are highly accurate.

1 MOA is 1" (aprox) at 100 yds or 2" at 200 yds or 3" at 300 yds, etc.  At 50 yds, if your group size is 1/2" or less, then you did well.

Be careful...shooting precision rifle is addicting.  That said, we could use some new blood inthe Precision Rifle forum, lol.

Looking at my target if that were at 100 yd id be just under 2 moa? I am not sure if i reading the chart correctly

Looking at my target if that were at 100 yd id be just under 2 moa? I am not sure if i reading the chart correctly

I'm not familiar with your target and it's markings.  Assuming that each box is 1/4 inch wide and that it's a 100yard target, then you have a group that looks to be a lil less than 3/4 inch, at 50 yards, that is about 1.25 MOA (1 MOA @50yds= .5 inch).

Not bad, considering you're just starting out.

*edit- if that were shot at 100 yds, it would be about .6 MOA, which is pretty sporty.

*edit- if that were shot at 100 yds, it would be about .6 MOA

hypothetically of course.. since distance adds a multitude of variables and amplifies all issues.. form.. ammo quality.. etc.. 

the only way to really know what you would end up with at 100 is to do it..   = ) 

hypothetically of course.. since distance adds a multitude of variables and amplifies all issues.. form.. ammo quality.. etc.. 

the only way to really know what you would end up with at 100 is to do it..   = ) 

Totally agree about distance amplifying issues, but 100 yds??  I can throw a rock accurately, at that distance, lol.

Totally agree about distance amplifying issues, but 100 yds??  I can throw a rock accurately, at that distance, lol.

You should be quarter back for the jets then if you can throw a rock 100 yards and hit your target ! :superman:  

You should be quarter back for the jets then if you can throw a rock 100 yards and hit your target ! :superman:

Hey, its just talk. You know, for emphasis.

But, if someone wants to bet, i feel pretty confident about being able to hit a small car with a rock at 100 yds..