Indianajonze

FN 15 Tactical Carbine Thoughts?

i know everyone will say it's better to build your own, but let's say i'd rather not do that at this moment and would prefer a good quality off the shelf AR15. i've read good things about it and in general am a fan of FNH products. costs $1500, which i assume is high but it's also NJ compliant and according to the dealer these additional fees are included in the price. opinions?

http://www.fnamerica.com/products/carbines/fn-15-series/fn15-tactical/

I would question/validate the NJ complaince with a "Flash hider" as the muzzle device. Yhis state seems to ban anything that might reduce muzzle flash. As for the cost, The cost is high for entry in to AR Market, but if I add in the cost of my FF handguard and trigger I put in my Armalite "post-ban" M15, I have spent more. I will be building my next one, but I understand where you are coming from want to buy not build. Of course you're a head of the game. I knew nothing about AR'S when I got mine, other than what made a NJ compliant one

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Look I'll be the first to say that when I first got my fid I HAD TO HAVE an ar. I built my own lower (it's so easy) and bought an upper. Total cost for a rifle I wanted was about $800. I thought it was everything I could want but once you try out a few it will change. now that I've shot the platform I know what I want/need/like and am doing a complete ground up build this time around.

My advice if this is your first ar and don't have experience with the platform (trust me I'm far from experienced but you figure out what works for you very fast) is to buy something cheap like an m&p 15 and go from there. It's a totally fine cheap rifle that will allow you to spend some extra money on the accessories you want. I'm talking stocks, pistol grips and handguards. These simple bits can really make the rifle fit you.

From there I will be like everyone else and say build your own. If you are a member at any of the local ranges or just want to shoot you should post on here when you are going because everyone I've interacted with on the forum will let you shoot their toys and share their advice.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I haven't held an FNH AR, but did buy a Daniel Defense M4v11 as my first AR. Came in MilSpec+ Cerakote.. Which is a darker Flat Earth. Really happy with it. Price was about $1695 iirc. I didn't know enough to build my own at the time and I did want to just get started.

No Ragrets .....

The FN15 you're looking at looks good in the photo. An FFL will have to swap the flash hider for a brake and pin the stock before you take possession. Looks like a nice rail.

That's pretty nice, and FN makes solid products. I assume the real price is a couple of hundred less then MSRP. and I wonder what the trigger is, the wording makes it sound like an ALG or something else of that sort.

Back of the napkin math says that guns is at least $1000 worth of parts, if you could bring it home for about $1300 with all compliance work done I would call that a good deal.

Very nice AR. BTW RTSP has couple of compliant ones...

yeah that's where i saw it originally. the guy there said that as a mid tier model, this is neck and neck with the Daniel Defense, and as i said, i kind of prefer FNH as a brand. i don't recall, but i believe he did mention removing the flash hider and pinning the stock to make it compliant and that it was included in the price. i'm going to hold out for a few weeks to see if they drop the price any from the $1500, which he was quite firm on, but i'll probably pull the trigger regardless. seems to me like a nice starting point with few compromises, and i'm not really going to agonize over a $100-$200 discount.

i'd love to be able to build my own at some point, but my logic is that i wanted a nice, well-made one to start with that had decent parts. as i get comfortable with it and with handling and taking it apart for cleaning, etc. i'll (hopefully) build enough experience and confidence so i can hand build my 2nd one. 

thanks guys!

from all accounts of people with more experience than me, it is a mid tier rifle and not on the same level as daniel defense.   Im not sure how much of that has to do with the disappointment that FN didn't go as far as they could have with their manufacturing skills, or the fact that they aren't close to the mil-spec TDP.   for a similar style build, if you don't know you LOVE that hand guard. you could go with a 14.5" mid-length with pinned brake from BCM.   a complete upper with pinned comp, bolt carrier group, and charging handle is just under $900.  Their complete lowers without a stock are under $400 from G&R tactical.

yeah that's where i saw it originally. the guy there said that as a mid tier model, this is neck and neck with the Daniel Defense, and as i said, i kind of prefer FNH as a brand. i don't recall, but i believe he did mention removing the flash hider and pinning the stock to make it compliant and that it was included in the price. i'm going to hold out for a few weeks to see if they drop the price any from the $1500, which he was quite firm on, but i'll probably pull the trigger regardless. seems to me like a nice starting point with few compromises, and i'm not really going to agonize over a $100-$200 discount.

i'd love to be able to build my own at some point, but my logic is that i wanted a nice, well-made one to start with that had decent parts. as i get comfortable with it and with handling and taking it apart for cleaning, etc. i'll (hopefully) build enough experience and confidence so i can hand build my 2nd one. 

thanks guys!

from all accounts of people with more experience than me, it is a mid tier rifle and not on the same level as daniel defense.   Im not sure how much of that has to do with the disappointment that FN didn't go as far as they could have with their manufacturing skills, or the fact that they aren't close to the mil-spec TDP.   for a similar style build, if you don't know you LOVE that hand guard. you could go with a 14.5" mid-length with pinned brake from BCM.   a complete upper with pinned comp, bolt carrier group, and charging handle is just under $900.  Their complete lowers without a stock are under $400 from G&R tactical.

You of course realize that FN builds more AR's for the US military then Daniel Defense and BCM combined? Or that they've build issue grade weapons for half the western world for the last half century?   Are you suggesting that when they put a bolt in a commercial AR it is somehow a different bolt then what they put into their military AR?

Please tell me more about this TDP and FN.

Edited to add: this may have come across more confrontational then I meant it. My point is that some of the best AR's on the market don't use the mythical TDP and the notion the FN is not using knowledge about a data set when making stuff across the production floor is a legal statement, not one that anyone can take to seriously.

If I remember correctly, FN has access to the M16/M4 TDP following a failed lawsuit by Colt to keep it in house - Colt was ordered to play nice and share.*

Most of the AR rifles FN build are used to fulfill contracts to the allies militaries/police forces/fledgling liberated governments/pre-terrorist organizations/etc... supported by the US that request AR pattern guns. They are not for the U.S. military. Occasionally, FN parts will make their way in/on US M4/M16s as unit armorers will use the FN guns slated for dispersal to indig forces as sources for parts to get US guns up and running or perform preventative maintenance as appropriate.

(FN does provide the M249 and M240 MGs to the U.S. military)

* I don't usually like to post stuff I haven't recently verified/sourced but can't remember where I read that. I will try to find a source....

You of course realize that FN builds more AR's for the US military then Daniel Defense and BCM combined? Or that they've build issue grade weapons for half the western world for the last half century?   Are you suggesting that when they put a bolt in a commercial AR it is somehow a different bolt then what they put into their military AR?

Please tell me more about this TDP and FN.

Edited to add: this may have come across more confrontational then I meant it. My point is that some of the best AR's on the market don't use the mythical TDP and the notion the FN is not using knowledge about a data set when making stuff across the production floor is a legal statement, not one that anyone can take to seriously.

i realize everything you are saying about them building military contract rifles.  But from all reports i have read, FN decided to build to a price point instead of building the best they could.  They supply noveske and centurion with some of the best CHF double chrome lined barrels on the market.  that didn't make it into the standard FN15.  this one says chrome lined CHF so i assume it did.

but compare the colt 6920 to the standard FN carbine and you can see where the colt is better

all reports are that the castle nut isn't staked on the FN

buffer tube is mil-spec dimensions but not 7075 aluminum.

colt comes with H buffer,  FN comes with carbine buffer

both come with a good bolt carrier that is properly staked.

those are 3 simple things that save a few bucks for a company, but should be included on a gun that isn't being considered mid teir and they won't be found on a BCM or DD

i'd love to see a lot more FNs on the market than the normal palmetto state armory and dpms and bushmaster though.   although i could do without the laser engraving and i'd rake a real roll mark

Well I played with some of their guns, although admittedly they were demo guns so they probably made sure they were right, and they seemed very well made indeed. If they are actually letting shit out the door then that is a problem, I just don't think that is their style.

I will however say that the last 6920 I've seen at the range, was basically the worst feeling AR I've shot in a long time. 8 lb trigger, rough all over, etc. It worked, but it was about crummy an AR as I'd expect to have seen from Bushmaster during the worst years. I felt bad for the dude who was proud of his Pony gun, but couldn't shoot a group to save his life and thought it was him. I had to break it to him that no one could with a trigger that felt like it was crushing gravel with every pull.

It is possible that everyone makes shit products and good products and we are all seeing the different days.

• Like 2

I'm of the opinion that all triggers should be swapped out for a geissele unit's anyway.  my uncle has 2 different rifles with ALG ACT triggers and he hates one and loves the other.   i don't have anyone saying their letting crap out the door assembled incorrectly, i'm just posting what multiple people have reported seeing.  if they use cheaper materials in parts, nothing they can do during the assembly and QC will rectify that.