High Exposure

Low Profile Gas Block

Does anyone make a Low Profile Gas Block that will replace a standard fronts sight base and lock into at least one of the pin channels cut into the barrel?

Thanks.

Back to the original question. I've just assembled a few that I converted to SBRs using Gieselle gas blocks and they had a pin that went cross section ally to the barrel. Whether it all lines up with block stop, channel and port I don't know.

This is the one.

https://geissele.com/super-gas-block-nitride.html

I'm in NJ for a couple of weeks if I were in FL I could take some measurements for you because I have on sitting in the box waiting for a .458 barrel. I don't know how much of a hurry you are in. Perhaps you can call Gieselle and they can give you the same data.

• Like 1

How did this turn out?

Nice. Finishing it tonight. Pics to follow.

I rnded up using a BCM low-pro gas block. The set screw closest to the shoulder locks into the groove on the barrel left by the taper pin. Works perfectly.

Do duty rifles have to be pinned and welded.

If they are owned by the PD no, but appropriate ATF paperwork needs to be completed if they are under 16". If they are owned by the individual officer and used on duty, yes.

• Like 2

Not every Dept allows it, and some agencies have idiosyncratic differences but at some agencies there is a "personally owned/Deptartment approved" Rifle program where officers can carry their own personal rifle on duty if it meets policy standards and passes Dept Armorer inspection.

It has to be either a completely NJ legal rifle, or purchased on Dept letterhead with the Chief's signature. If the rifle is not NJ legal and purchased on Dept letterhead, upon retirement or separation from the department, the rifle becomes deptartment property

It's treated no differently that carrying a personal gun on your ankle as a bug.

Nice. Finishing it tonight. Pics to follow.

I rnded up using a BCM low-pro gas block. The set screw closest to the shoulder locks into the groove on the barrel left by the taper pin. Works perfectly.

If they are owned by the PD no, but appropriate ATF paperwork needs to be completed if they are under 16". If they are owned by the individual officer and used on duty, yes.

Good deal

Feels much better. 10" tube on an 11.5" barrel.

It is significantly lighter and I have a few more inches of room on the tube - which was the primary goal. It drives very fast, but it does feel a little weird with the front so much lighter. The muzzle moves a bit more when firing fast.

I may switch back to the SOPMOD stock, the extra weight in the back may be beneficial.

We shall see...

It's tricky. Agency buys the mags and issues them to officers. Patrol guys draw mags before shift - usually in the bag with the rifle and a double mag for in the rack in the radio car.

SWAT guys keep mags staged in the pouches on their gear so they can respond directly to a crisis scene without going to HQ first and grabbing stuff. Much more efficient.

Well, I got a "Promotion" on the team that translates into much more time carrying a rifle and much less of a chance to be in a position to need to shoot said rifle so I figure I would go lighter. It's still capable, but I'm saving 11.5oz of weight that will hang around my neck. It's not much but when your wearing all that crap, every little bit helps. I'm gonna get on a timer and see what shakes.

I have a feeling that the SOPMOD will make a triumphant return.

• Like 1