fishnut

Camping hammocks

I'm looking to get a hammock for camping. My back dosent do well with sleeping on the ground anymore. Anyone here have any experience with them? I'm looking at the warbonnet blackbird xlt and a dream hammock sparrow. I'm open to other suggestions though.

I want a dubble layer for a sleeping pad and I'm pretty sure I want a top cover for winter camping. Also a bug net is a must. 

44 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I'm looking to get a hammock for camping. My back dosent do well with sleeping on the ground anymore. Anyone here have any experience with them? I'm looking at the warbonnet blackbird xlt and a dream hammock sparrow. I'm open to other suggestions though.

I want a dubble layer for a sleeping pad and I'm pretty sure I want a top cover for winter camping. Also a bug net is a must. 

RV

jus sayen.

i had a mil surp jungle hammock many moons ago. If you’re a side sleeper, they no work

• Like 1

I have a hennessey -- Don't know the model offhand --  I bought it directly from them, they had a damaged sale or something like that -- no top or bug net -- was considerably cheaper 

I slept in it a few times set up in the basement -- Just to try it out -- it's OK

Do you have a basement to set one up and try it out in relative warmth? -- Take mine and try it for a few nights  -- if you've never slept in one for any length of time you should -- they are not for everyone

12 hours ago, Zeke said:

RV

jus sayen.

i had a mil surp jungle hammock many moons ago. If you’re a side sleeper, they no work

I can't carry an RV on my back for 30 miles if I could I would. I'm a back sleeper so hammocks work for me 

6 hours ago, Heavyopp said:

I have a hennessey -- Don't know the model offhand --  I bought it directly from them, they had a damaged sale or something like that -- no top or bug net -- was considerably cheaper 

I slept in it a few times set up in the basement -- Just to try it out -- it's OK

Do you have a basement to set one up and try it out in relative warmth? -- Take mine and try it for a few nights  -- if you've never slept in one for any length of time you should -- they are not for everyone

Thanks for the offer! Ill definatly take you up on that if i start looking at the hennessey more. I'm borrowing a blackbird this week and was going to try it out outside for a night.........did not even think about the basement, great idea! lol. Ive spent quite a bit of time sleeping in hammocks in the Caribbean, South and Central American but they are a whole different breed of hammocks I'm learning. Defiantly not the best for backpacking. Also that was all before breaking a vertebrate and herniating two discs followed by surgery. 

I'm hoping that hammocks will allow me to get back into multi day backpack camping again as my back definitely does not like sleeping on the ground anymore..........getting older sucks lol

Have you looked at some of the new sleeping pads? They blow up with like 10-12 breaths. Fold up to the size of a water bottle.

I think this is the one I have if you want to try it out.

https://smile.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B01C3RW88Y?pd_rd_wg=hUkL0&pd_rd_r=2821b201-a4d4-4fac-9f1c-4ba15f7d20ea&pd_rd_w=0MmIx&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=CKH5KW1VD53EE0J9DA68&pf_rd_p=b841581f-e864-5164-afa6-4c18a8348879

Take the RV, park it. Roll out the KTM (2 strokes are better) and you can cover 30 miles before lunch no problem and come back to refuel, eat and go back out. When you are done for the day you can sleep in comfort and be able to do it all again the next day.:) @Zeke

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Going to go that far, why not a blow up mattress?

Ever try blowing even a twin up without a pump? They weigh almost 10 lbs. plus a pump. The air pads weigh around a lb. and can be blown up very easily without a pump. I got mine for our motorcycle trip to Alaska just in case we needed to pitch a tent. Limited space for packing on a Harley. But if you're just pulling your truck up to the camp site, I'd go full air mattress for sure..

• Like 1

We got  a full size that has a pump and is adjustable. We sleep on it when we visit my father in law in Nashville. His beds suck.
We just plug it in and let it do its gig. As for the size, it packs up in a box about 18"x18"x18"... 

2 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

Have you looked at some of the new sleeping pads? They blow up with like 10-12 breaths. Fold up to the size of a water bottle.

I think this is the one I have if you want to try it out.

https://smile.amazon.com/Klymit-Static-Lightweight-Sleeping-Pad/dp/B01C3RW88Y?pd_rd_wg=hUkL0&pd_rd_r=2821b201-a4d4-4fac-9f1c-4ba15f7d20ea&pd_rd_w=0MmIx&ref_=pd_gw_simh&pf_rd_r=CKH5KW1VD53EE0J9DA68&pf_rd_p=b841581f-e864-5164-afa6-4c18a8348879

I have a therma cell, it' not enough. It will still go in the hammock for extra comfort and support. 

2 hours ago, bhunted said:

Going to go that far, why not a blow up mattress?

To heavy and big for backpacking. For car camping I have a very nice cot.

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

Take the RV, park it. Roll out the KTM (2 strokes are better) and you can cover 30 miles before lunch no problem and come back to refuel, eat and go back out. When you are done for the day you can sleep in comfort and be able to do it all again the next day.:) @Zeke

I'm pretty sure I'm still not responsible enough for a dirt bike, I got into allot of trouble back in the day with my Honda NX125 and cr250....... All I'm saying is the lebanon borough PD had the cleanest and freshest waxed police cruisers in NJ for a few weeks in 1999 and nothing went on record.

With that being said if I ever get one again it will probably be a Honda 

If can’t get a covered hammock. You can always top rope, or ridge pole a tarp and milsurp netting. Actually it’s recommended to. Let’s face it, you are stuck between two trees. Dead fall is always an issue.

I did a high mile MC camping trip once. The sleeping bag was made from big Agnes (?) . 4” inflating mattress built into bottom of bag. No loft in bag bottom( compresses anyway). I have thermorest also, and that setup was way more comfortable.

and ffs... everybody knows KTM is what to saddle!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Zeke said:

If can’t get a covered hammock. You can always top rope, or ridge pole a tarp and milsurp netting. Actually it’s recommended to. Let’s face it, you are stuck between two trees. Dead fall is always an issue.

I did a high mile MC camping trip once. The sleeping bag was made from big Agnes (?) . 4” inflating mattress built into bottom of bag. No loft in bag bottom( compresses anyway). I have thermorest also, and that setup was way more comfortable.

and ffs... everybody knows KTM is what to saddle!

The cover is to help keep the heat in, I usually only camp when it' cold outside, I'll have a rain tarp also. As for dead falls I know all about them......

20170805_055730.jpg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

That looks like a "YIKES" moment!

My head was in the closest corner of the red tent..........but my buddy Victor was in the orange tent. Not a scratch on him. 

YIKES for sure