Bully

Does Anyone Work on Heavy(ish) Machines?

I have an older lathe that is giving me some trouble.  Wiring to the rotary converter is good.  Wiring from the rotary to the outlet is good.  Lathe gets power.  Fuses checked out.  It's just not spinning.  It worked that morning.  I adjusted the lathe do practice threading and it isn't working any longer.  I'm thinking that it's a switch or a safety but that's as much as I can guess.  

The machine is probably a late 60's to late 70's Harrison M300 engine lathe, 13/40.  3hp/3ph motor.

It's a completely manual machine so relatively simple for those that know what they're doing.  That group doesn't include me, unfortunately.  

I'm not electrically gifted.  FWIW, I just learned today how to check continuity and voltage with a multimeter.  That's as far as I know.  If anyone in the north Jersey/Bergen County area can help, I'd love to offer coffee/beer/pizza/venison stew/etc... for some of your time.  I can't bring the machine to you, it weighs 1500 lbs and just doesn't fit in the Honda.  

Shoot me a PM if you have an inkling to help.  Much appreciated.

Do you have 3phase power to the motor? Phase to ground should be 120V, phase to phase should be 240(ish). 

If you have all 3 phases to the motor I would suspect the brushes. Motor brushes are usually easy to replace. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Do you have 3phase power to the motor? Phase to ground should be 120V, phase to phase should be 240(ish). 

If you have all 3 phases to the motor I would suspect the brushes. Motor brushes are usually easy to replace. 

Yes.  Motor has all 3 phases.  It was working in the morning.  When I went to set it up for threading (involves moving some knobs on the machine) which I hadn't done previously, it didn't work anymore.  I did not check function before moving the knobs, unfortunately.  So I don't know if the machine quit before setup or after it.  Or, because of it.  

My machine shop instructor swung by this evening.  We (he) took a look and everything seems to point to a relay taking a dump.  I don't have the equipment to test them handy and he didn't have the time to get into it.  SOOOOO...  as soon as I get some learning on how to do it, I'll test all the relays on the machine.  The machine is in an unheated garage and was prior to me owning it so it makes sense that they would go.  

I'll update as I learn more.

On 2/5/2018 at 7:28 PM, Bully said:

My machine shop instructor swung by this evening.  We (he) took a look and everything seems to point to a relay taking a dump.  I don't have the equipment to test them handy and he didn't have the time to get into it.  SOOOOO...  as soon as I get some learning on how to do it, I'll test all the relays on the machine.  The machine is in an unheated garage and was prior to me owning it so it makes sense that they would go.  

I'll update as I learn more.

Can you service the relay switch?

41 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Can you service the relay switch?

Contacts can be cleaned on a relay....obviously, if it’s a solid state relay, it needs to be replaced. 

Where are you located, Bully?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Contacts can be cleaned on a relay....obviously, if it’s a solid state relay, it needs to be replaced. 

Where are you located, Bully?

I'm in Bergen County by Paramus

It's all good.

I have two friends that are electrical engineers.  My other buddy, that's in Mays Landing, is offering to help via face time.  Ray Ray is offering to help as well.  Everyone is just busy.

I will get it running.  It's just gonna take time.  

• Like 1