aeromaks

Cabela's to open in East Rutherford at the Xanadu

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/community/aboutus/retail-detail.jsp?detailedInformationURL=/cabelas/en/content/community/aboutus/retail/retail_stores/eastrutherford/erutherford_press.html

Home > Retail Stores > You are here: East Rutherford, NJ Press Release.

CABELA'S PLANNING TO BUILD MEGA-STORE

IN EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.

SIDNEY, NE - Cabela's, the World's Foremost Outfitter of hunting, fishing and outdoor gear, announced that it is in negotiations to build one of its world-famous retail stores at the Meadowlands Sports Complex in East Rutherford, N.J.

Experience a Cabela's Retail Store. Check out our store Photo Gallery and our Video Tour.

The store, part of the Meadowlands Xanadu sports, leisure, family entertainment and shopping complex, would be similar in size to the Cabela's retail showroom in Kansas City, Kan. and Buda, Texas.

The Meadowlands store would be built in Cabela's trademark style mixing a d?r of museum-quality animal displays with colorful dioramas, huge aquariums stocked with native fish and a centerpiece indoor mountain displaying trophy animals interacting in realistic re-creations of their natural habitats. Cabela's retail stores are known as top-notch education and entertainment destinations, many of which are the leading tourist attractions in their respective states.

To operate the new store, Cabela's would expect to employ as many as 500 people, who would join the Cabela's family of more than 8,000 employees. Employees are expected to come from East Rutherford and the surrounding area to join Cabela's family of staff members famous for their outdoor lifestyle and intimate knowledge of outdoor products.

"By combining everything the Cabela's retail experience offers with the excitement of the Meadowlands Xanadu complex, we can create the premier destination for sporting enthusiasts along the East Coast," said Cabela's President and Chief Executive Officer Dennis Highby. "We believe Cabela's is the perfect fit to bring the outdoors to the Meadowlands and with so many valued customers who live the Cabela's lifestyle nearby, we would expect this retail store to be an overwhelming success."

"So many people are coming together to make this work," Highby said. "We really appreciate the efforts of all the people, including the Mills Corporation and all the others who are working to make this happen."

Features which would greet visitors to the Cabela's store include:

A huge mountain replica, the centerpiece of the store's open showroom, with running waterfalls and streams, and trophy animals in re-creations of their distinct habitats. Similar mountains, each called Conservation Mountain, have been built in other Cabela's stores as monuments to wildlife and salutes to the sportsmen and women who support wildlife conservation.

A 9,000-gallon freshwater aquarium stocked with fish native to the area.

Museum-quality representations of many wild-game species, including an expansive diorama devoted to African game animals.

World-class Gun Library

That has been in the works for years. They just announced that they are not opening this year and may open in 2010. Based on how poorly the mall is doing I'd be surprised if they didn't back out of the deal. They wouldn't be the first in that disaster.

they did invest in the catalogs. =P

If they open, they will do pretty well. If the NJ transit deal goes through to extend the line into the meadowlands... will be good. The ski slope. the indoor one, have been waiting for that one for 3 years.

If they open, they will do pretty well

Their sales, like everyone else have slowed quite a bit. Sportsmen's Warehouse just filed for Chater 11 and is closing a good deal of their stores. The store prices are not that great. The only thig I had any interest in was the reloading items and the prices were higher than my local shop. Nice to look around but beyond that i wasn't that impressed.

As far as Xanadu, it is heading towards becoming a white elephant. Construction has stopped in many areas due to a lack of payment to the contractors. Considering they announced the store in 2003, the opening will be a crap shoot.

The train is going to the football stadium. No idea if they will have a station at the retail complex but it would be short sighted if they didn't.

Breaking news... delayed yet again. Just saw on Fox news NY. Lehman's unit was a partner in the complex, but they never paid the 150mil they promised for the project.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_jersey/090319_Xanadu_Opening_Delayed_to_2010

Cabelas has delayed most of their new store opening in the country. The economy just won't support them. But Xanadu is another story. that place was a disaster since day one. A relitive is involved with a rather large construction company who dealt with the project in the beginning but pulled out after a short time duwe to their financial condition.

I have one not that far from my house. It is nice to visit and wander around in but no great deals are evident. As far as firearm's related purchases, I do much better at the local stores nearby.

It was a battle between the original company and Hartz. Hartz lost the legal battle and the winner went belly up soon after. The replacement then stepped in. Mack Cali is still the developer using a capital investment firm for funding. Contractors are pulling out due to non-payment from some of the stores leasing space.

Hopefully they put a few bucks into painting the ugly exterior. Looks worse than the old Alexander's mural. The Calebas up here is done up very nice in a plaza off of the interstate making entry and exit a snap. I think the standalone style is the way to go. I don't know how they could offer some of the features available on their other stores in a mall setting.

We had a second store planned but they held off for a few years after finally getting the go ahead from the town and getting the financing lined up for the roadway improvements. Probably for the best.

the story was... that the outside of Xanadu was to be like lego blocks, different colors... Then again, the big Pepsi wheel was to cover alot of it up.

I was really looking forward to the indoor ski slope...

But when they are 90% done, I highly doubt they will just leave it unfinished. Someone will come in, offer the cash with a large ownership stake in the complex.

It really is a great concept on paper, and if NJ Transit gets the line in there, improvements are made, combined with new Jets/Giants stadium, and if they legalize slot machines at the race track.... it can work very well.

My biggest issue is driving up there, and from NY, only way there is NJ Transit busses.

Don't laugh.....

The Xanadu retail/entertainment complex at the Meadowlands will include a Legoland Discovery Centre, developers announced today.

The 44,000-square-foot children's attraction will be a "virtual city" made out of colorful, interlocking blocks, with hands-on activities such as model building, rides, a cinema with special effects, party rooms and a cafe.

Currently the only Legoland in the United States is in Carlsbad, Calif. Other locations include Denmark, Germany and the United Kingdom.

The idea as it is located on state property was that it would be a entertainment complex and not simply a shopping mall. The only problem is that most of the "entertainment" locations pulled out leaving only retail outlets. The original concept was great. Unfortunatly it never materialized.

I can see the benefit of having NJ Transit into the stadium. I don't know if it will be that much of a benefit to the "mall". But even the rail link is far from a done deal. The costs keep skyrocketing due to enviromental issue. In the shape NJ is currently in, they can't afford to too fast regardless of cost. At this rate even the Giants and Jet's fans might not even want to come with the costs involved.

See, I thought so. =)

Rail link would be great. I have many friends and clients in nyc that would love to come out, esp think of all the skiers that dont want to go far, hop on train to meadowlands, ski indoors, and back at home in 30 mins.

Currently, the buses that go from port authority or over packed, and only run typically for the games.

As far as Jets/Giants stadium... they are ahead of schedule on that, and heard on Bloomberg it would open in Dec?

How about they take the old stadium, cover it up, and make it one big range.... or put elements in it and make it a paintball/airsoft field.

The new stadium isn't due until next season. That's when everyone will be on the hook for the PSL fees. The old stadium is coming down because that is where the parking lot space will be.

So far the Cowboys, Mets and Yankees are having problems selling the boxes and even the PSL fees are taking a toll on renewals. Our seats are $5000k each for four of them and 2k for the other two. i see many seats becoming available next year. In the past businesses grapped seats and used them as a write off. That is no longer true. time will tell.

I see a rail link somewhere along the line. No idea when through. Money's tight.

I heard that this Cabelas was not allowed to sell any guns at all to get this deal in NJ? Any truth to that?

I doubt it. There is a lot of paperwork to get the sales going but they are pros at it. the problem is that the entire complex seems to be coming to a standstill. As four large malls just declared bankruptcy in NJ, getting a new high priced one up and running is going to be tough. I really think Cabelas is rethinking their involvement. Some of the local shops were worried when they announced the two planned up here. After the first opened they found not to be the competition they once thought they would be. Their prices were much higher than the smaller guys. Plus they added the sales tax on.

Xanadu is a typical Jersey Gov't related project, plagued by delays, poor planning, short sighted visions, and corruption (well, ok, I can't verify the corruption part but this IS NJ...)

The original Corporate Sponsor (naming rights) was forced to pull out because of ties to Nazi Germany - and since the political climate has changed regarding corporate excess, no one else has been found to belly up with the $$$.

Delays, delays, delays. Can we say "Meadowlands Commission"? They've lost 4 separate sets of submissions on a little project I have worked on, I can't imagine what they've done to Xanadu. Late contractor payments make for a really efficient construction method (that would be the get nothing done method).

Has anyone actually driven past this technicolored abberation? FUUUUUUUUUUUUhhhhhgly!!

djg0770's KEY WORDS

Meadowlands Commission, (real nice people :roll:)

corruption,

typical Jersey Gov't related projects,

delays,

poor planning,

short sighted visions

delays,

delays, did I say delays

.....but this IS NJ

let me add a controversial one "DEMOCRAT B.S."

sorry... just my 2 cents lol :):):):):)

Just got back from our local store. It's in a nice mall, not too big with a few restaurant and specialty stores. Ammo shelves were stocked as were all handgun cabinets. All the rifle and shotgun racks were stocked. While the high end gun showroom is nice to wander around in, the prices are up there.

cid__0429091550.jpg