axeman_g

Cheyenne Outfitters in Hamilton

Stopped in here today. Was looking for Harry's, saw that it moved and figured this is an offshoot to handle the gun sales.

Well stocked with accessories and long guns. Even had some EBRs on the shelf. Prices seemed high to me. I'll be honest, I heard and saw some of the dumbest things I have ever seen or heard in there today. Unsafe gun handling, ignorant, distracted sales staff and downright rude behavior.

Now, it may have been that 15 minutes of the day was a down moment. I am willing to give them another chance sometime in the not near future.

I would prices on ammo were higher. Rifles... anything that looks like an assult rifle, they will charget what they can get. Handgun prices are equal to, or slightly less than Sportsmen's.

I think the staff there today was a little eh. There are a few guys there that really know their stuff, and a few questions that I asked that were very specific, they told me they did not know.

It is my undersanding that Gun Counter employees from Harry's bought the store. So if they have the same staff selling guns, yes they would be rude and arrogant.

that is correct. I believe one of the former employees and a few others decided to buy out Harry's gun department. The employees came over from there.

The employees there, I find are hit or miss. There is a younger guy there that is a top notch, LEO? another one or two middleage gentleman are good. Also ran into a few there that didnt really know much... but at least they admitted it. :?

I bought several guns from Harry's in the past, but I have to agree with the assessment here. I'm waiting on a few permits and stopped out there last Friday afternoon. I was met with, at best, indifference. I then went down to Sportsman's and was completely ignored by the one guy working the counter who was filling out paperwork for a recent sale. He wouldn't even make eye contact or acknowledge me. The guy at the bow counter said he didn't know anything about guns. I left. I think I'll check out Butch's in Vineland. People I shoot with speak highly of him. It's not much further from where I live than Bordentown. Has anyone shopped there?

I bought several guns from Harry's in the past, but I have to agree with the assessment here. I'm waiting on a few permits and stopped out there last Friday afternoon. I was met with, at best, indifference. I then went down to Sportsman's and was completely ignored by the one guy working the counter who was filling out paperwork for a recent sale. He wouldn't even make eye contact or acknowledge me. The guy at the bow counter said he didn't know anything about guns. I left. I think I'll check out Butch's in Vineland. People I shoot with speak highly of him. It's not much further from where I live than Bordentown. Has anyone shopped there?

the regular guys at sportsman's, Lonnie and an older gentleman, are both out on vacation. The guy covering.... just shouldnt be there.

Butch's is the one of the best gun shops I have ever been in for choice, knicknacks and ammo. It is cramped and hard to move around in. Personally I hate having to ask to see all the rifles and shotguns that I want to look at....but they handle it well.

I purchased a S&W MP9 there last year and hope to spend some more money there sometime soon.

Good people, good hours and good selection.

I stopped in at Harry's a few months ago to see what all the hype was about. I was not impressed at all. I found the staff was kind of rude to me. I asked to see a rifle after waiting for a salesman to get free and he acted like I was putting him out. Now, Butch's in Vineland is the place to shop. It is a small shop and can get cramped in there but their customer service is top notch. Their prices are very competitive and they will take the time to to answer any questions you may have. Butch is a very straight up kind of guy. He is very personable and friendly. I have bought a few guns there in the last couple of months.

I stopped in at Harry's a few months ago to see what all the hype was about. I was not impressed at all. I found the staff was kind of rude to me. I asked to see a rifle after waiting for a salesman to get free and he acted like I was putting him out. Now, Butch's in Vineland is the place to shop. It is a small shop and can get cramped in there but their customer service is top notch. Their prices are very competitive and they will take the time to to answer any questions you may have. Butch is a very straight up kind of guy. He is very personable and friendly. I have bought a few guns there in the last couple of months.

Was this the old Harry's store with all in one or the new ones with two seperate stores, one for firearms, and the other for sporting goods?

Been there and disappointed as well. I realize there is a difference between a job and a hobby or passion. Those guys definitely have a job and have zero desire to help or share any knowledge.

Mak, you should send them a link to this and do them a service because it would not be good for them to go out of business. Competetion is good for the consumer.

Five weeks to the day and I have the permits in hand! I called Butch's and plan on taking a late afternoon trip down there tomorrow to check out their selection.

It's such a nice feeling to check the phone messages and hear, "your permits are ready and you can pick them up at the dispatcher's desk anytime, 24 hours a day..." As bad as we have it here in NJ, the locals seem to try their best.

Five weeks to the day and I have the permits in hand! I called Butch's and plan on taking a late afternoon trip down there tomorrow to check out their selection.

It's such a nice feeling to check the phone messages and hear, "your permits are ready and you can pick them up at the dispatcher's desk anytime, 24 hours a day..." As bad as we have it here in NJ, the locals seem to try their best.

thats because you live in a different state. =) South Jersey.

Anyone remember the study and movement they had like 8 years back? To split jersey into south and north?

Then central jersey was split on whom to be with.

It does seem different down here, and even more so when you get down further to Vineland. I couldn't wait as planned and decided to take off early from work yesterday. It was good and bad... I got my Buck Mark, but not before I was ass-ended by a pickup truck on Landis Avenue! My first thought was that I'd be tied up and Butch would close before I got there (that's when I knew I was hardcore). The other guy got ticketed and I was able to drive away...and into Butch's lot with time to spare.

This is what I got http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=448

I can't wait to get out on Sunday and shoot it!

It does seem different down here, and even more so when you get down further to Vineland. I couldn't wait as planned and decided to take off early from work yesterday. It was good and bad... I got my Buck Mark, but not before I was ass-ended by a pickup truck on Landis Avenue! My first thought was that I'd be tied up and Butch would close before I got there (that's when I knew I was hardcore). The other guy got ticketed and I was able to drive away...and into Butch's lot with time to spare.

This is what I got http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... ype_id=448

I can't wait to get out on Sunday and shoot it!

I am looking to get one of these soon. Let us know how it shoots. Did you get a good deal?

Probably not as good a deal as I would have expected in the past. It looked like $20 off sugg. retail. Nowadays, you feel lucky if they have the gun in stock that you want to buy. All that having been said, it was exactly what I wanted. I'll let you know how she shoots.

I bought one of the S&W MP-15 rifles they had. It was shockingly priced at $1818. I bought it anyway, having AR-15 money with me. Turns out that was actual exactly MSRP for the model selected, which included F&R Troy Industries folding BUIS. Most stores are friendly when you give them close to $2000, these guys were not particularly.

I guess it is common in some stores, but paying $15 (I think that's how much it was) when buying a $2000 rifle seems greedy to me, but that's the way it goes. Prices for new guns appears to be MSRP. Pricing for used guns seemed very high to me, but I am not an expert there.

They have a decent ammo selection, reasonable sight selection, lots of misc gun stuff (bought a Lula loader for AR-15 mags). Hunting supplies galore.

Trying to get counter help at lunch times appears to be impossible. They do not appear to be so anxious to help people they do not know.

-Melgamatic

The BM is sweet. It shoots great and looks like it'll provide years of fun. I even went over the bridge to Bristol today to grab an extra brick at Walmart!

It's a real shame that you spent some serious money and got treated that way. The clerks at Wawa seem more appreciative for a lousy cup of coffee. Maybe gun counter help should have to go through Wawa's training program to learn how to deal with people and learn how to treat customers. Every day I sound more and more like my father...

Enjoy that MP-15!

I was at cheyenne today, and got to say, when it is packed, forget about service, but come during the offpeak times, and ask away, they are quite friendly.

Saw they only had 1 m&p 15 left. nice rifle.

Btw, is that how you found the forum?

I bought one of the S&W MP-15 rifles they had. It was shockingly priced at $1818. I bought it anyway, having AR-15 money with me. Turns out that was actual exactly MSRP for the model selected, which included F&R Troy Industries folding BUIS. Most stores are friendly when you give them close to $2000, these guys were not particularly.

Trying to get counter help at lunch times appears to be impossible. They do not appear to be so anxious to help people they do not know.

-Melgamatic

Are you talking about Butch's or back to Cheyenne?

Hi. I found the forums through a random google search with some combination of "gun stores" "new jersey" and "forums" but not sure of the exact search. I've been looking for a place to discuss NJ gun issues and stores; this seems great.

-Melgamatic

Was there this past weekend. Dude behind counter pulled out like six handguns for me. He totally understood how retarded the setup with the guns on pins is. You can't see anything. He said they were in a hurry to open back up and maybe a change is in the works. Decent store but seems to have priced themselves a little high especially since moving into the new shop. I liked it better in the old shop.