Zeke

The bestes cornbread recipe, discussion

After trying a few varieties, I've landed on the recipe printed on the Indian Head stone ground yellow corn meal bag. 

Yes, it includes sugar, and a 50/50 mix of corn meal and flour, which I prefer to all corn meal.  But before I'm strung up for heresy, let me quickly add that I only make it in a cast iron skillet that is well over 100 years old.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Stolen from my ‘Official Displaced Texans’ bowl of red’ thread awhile back...but THIS is how you do cornbread....

Zeke, pay attention..

D8B1C476-8E57-4882-AEDF-64BC0574B879.jpeg

I'm looking forward to hearing about Zeke's attempt to bake cornbread in a vertical skillet!

14 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Many people make a sweet cornbread for dessert, and serve it with butter and honey

As soon as the cornbread comes out of the oven, it gets soaked with butter.  Sometimes I'll dust it with confectioner's sugar.  I've also added a pinch of nutmeg or allspice to the batter.  Leftover cornbread goes well with sausage and eggs with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.

Jiffy mix is good, it's what I use most often, but Bob's Red Mill is pretty good too.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

As soon as the cornbread comes out of the oven, it gets soaked with butter.  Sometimes I'll dust it with confectioner's sugar.  I've also added a pinch of nutmeg or allspice to the batter.  Leftover cornbread goes well with sausage and eggs with a drizzle of pure maple syrup.

Jiffy mix is good, it's what I use most often, but Bob's Red Mill is pretty good too.

I ain’t hating you for that!! I’ve tried Bobs Red Mill, and it’s pretty good. Jiffy is more readily available though. 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Wait for my sue video 

Typical Zeke...like to talk, but fails to deliver. Just like his ‘amazing’ crock pot ribs. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Tex, hate of awesomeness looks sooo ugly on you.

jus sayen 

Not hating, just pointing out that the ‘awesomeness’ of crock pot ribs never materialized....because....cluck cluck, Zeke!! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Not hating, just pointing out that the ‘awesomeness’ of crock pot ribs never materialized....because....cluck cluck, Zeke!! :laugh:

:facepalm:   Please don't goad him.  It only encourages the debasement of farm animals that gave their lives to nourish us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

:facepalm:   Please don't goad him.  It only encourages the debasement of farm animals that gave their lives to nourish us.

Anyone who would cook ribs, or cornbread, in a crock pot deserves to be goaded. 

• Haha 1