Sign in to follow this  
Chad

HP Ammo?

Tangent to this:

Went to the Gander Mountain store in upstate New York last October.

They would *not* sell me hollow point handgun ammunition, claiming it was illegal in NJ, but they *would* sell me a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip (illegal in NJ).

Thought it was interesting that they were (wrongly) restrictive on the ammunition, but would freely sell a NJ illegal firearm if I had decided to go through with the purchase.

Now why cant the state police website just say that???

2C:39-3 says just that. The problem is that no one bothers to take the time to read it. Most would rather just take the multitudes of incorrect and ill informed information from the internet from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Now why cant the state police website just say that???

2C:39-3 says just that. The problem is that no one bothers to take the time to read it. Most would rather just take the multitudes of incorrect and ill informed information from the internet from people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Isn't that why Al Gore invented the internet?

Isn't that why Al Gore invented the internet?

Yup, right after he invented that plane that runs on fairy farts and pixie dust that he flies around the world talking about reducing your carbon footprint and decreasing your dependence on pollution causing fossil fuels/petrochemicals (please notice if you haven't already......I said yours and not his).

no hollow points but a pistol grip semi auto feather spreader is ok to sell you.........

Talk about not knowing the laws...... :roll:

One time, I had one salesman at Ray's tell me Gold Dots were illegal to use for home defense and when he got called off by Dwight to do something or other, another salesman offered to help me and told me the exact opposite - he even recommended I use Winchester Rangers. I have learned to do my own research since then but I will say it is amazing how much incorrect information is passed on as if it was the word of God in gunshops.

Winchester Rangers

Ray's always pushes Winchester because they held one of the NJ state contracts for that ammo. In the old days an order for 50k rounds was filled from their stock without breaking a sweat.

The sales staff were hit or miss. A few of the floor staff were pretty good. Dwight was one who knew the industry inside and out. Never steered me wrong.

When I got my FID six months ago, the detective who handles the FID paperwork in my township called me to ask if I had any questions. I did ask about Hollow Points, and he said the gist of it is that HPs can be used for hunting, home defense, etc-- except the law somewhat states you cannot have HPs in your vehicle at any time. He explained that while its a catch 22, if someone were to be pulled over (for some other violation), and it was discovered they had HPs, and it was apparent they were coming or going to a place where they would be using their firearm legally (range, hunting, and the whatnot) or if they were transporting the ammunition back to their residence, the police officer would let it go. If the individual did not really have a solid reason, then there would be trouble. Then of course, this was just the perspective of the police in Plainsboro, so, I couldn't speak for the rest of the state.

Tangent to this:

Went to the Gander Mountain store in upstate New York last October.

They would *not* sell me hollow point handgun ammunition, claiming it was illegal in NJ, but they *would* sell me a semi-auto shotgun with a pistol grip (illegal in NJ).

Thought it was interesting that they were (wrongly) restrictive on the ammunition, but would freely sell a NJ illegal firearm if I had decided to go through with the purchase.

a semi automatic shotgun is not in itself illegal..

C. a semi-automatic shotgun that has at least 2 of the following:

1. a folding or telescoping stock;

2. a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

3. a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and

4. an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

pistol grip is ONE... ;)

Exactly...i got a box of that from Lanigans in Tinton Falls...my .45's are not rated for +P and thats what I got. I read somewhere (maybe here) that it is okay to shoot +P once in a blue moon, just not repeated use. Dunno if thats accurate or not though.

a semi automatic shotgun is not in itself illegal..

pistol grip is ONE... ;)

All due respect, but you're wrong. Read up on this thread:

http://www.njgunforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=802&p=6464

never noticed that.. but it makes NO sense whatsoever... as the two lines contradict one another.. that is EXTREMELY confusing.. has anyone called or written to the state for clarity? could it mean JUST pistol grip as in NO stock? that is VERY confusing..

Has anyone actually shot that EMFJ and seen if it expands as advertised? Maybe we should donate a box to box 'o truth.

I just did some reading on some other forums...people have tested the EFMJ and are pleased with the results. Supposedly detroit PD uses it as duty weapon ammo. Some guys did some gello tests and said they have and would carry the EFMJ when they were limited to ball-type ammo. They said the EFMJ ammo expanded and penetrated just as well as various HP ammos during the test.

If in doubt or the lack of straight forward laws make you nervous Federal has the answer.

Federal EMFJ

efmj1.jpg

efmjgel.jpg

images from ammoman.com

Im not sure this is "the answer". Its my understanding these would be considered "dum-dum" rounds. Dum-Dum would mean any round designed to explode or expand upon impact.

NJS 2C:39-3. Prohibited weapons and devices

f.Dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets. (1) Any person, other than a law enforcement officer or persons engaged in activities pursuant to subsection f. of N.J.S.2C:39-6, who knowingly has in his possession any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet, or (2) any person, other than a collector of firearms or ammunition as curios or relics as defined in Title 18, United States Code, section 921 (a) (13) and has in his possession a valid Collector of Curios and Relics License issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, who knowingly has in his possession any body armor breaching or penetrating ammunition, which means: (a) ammunition primarily designed for use in a handgun, and (b) which is comprised of a bullet whose core or jacket, if the jacket is thicker than.025 of an inch, is made of tungsten carbide, or hard bronze, or other material which is harder than a rating of 72 or greater on the Rockwell B. Hardness Scale, and © is therefore capable of breaching or penetrating body armor, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree. For purposes of this section, a collector may possess not more than three examples of each distinctive variation of the ammunition described above. A distinctive variation includes a different head stamp, composition, design, or color.

expand upon impact.

This is not correct. Any round will expand under the proper conditions. Many, including HP ammo will not. Lead SWC will expand under most conditions and yet is legal under NJ guidelines.

It was recently discussed at a PBA meeting where the guest speaker was a supervisor from NJ State Police Firearm's Unit. Their view is that the ammo is fine for carry in NJ. I along with many other continue to do so.

As far as carry to and from a range. that is fine if transported properly. the only problem is using ammo costing that much for practice.