Gunting

FID Card Address Change

Usually your new town will request your firearm's file from your former residence to be send.

That will give them your SIB number, print cards and all applications filed. They may now require new prints to be submitted depending on how long ago you filed for your original FID card. Quoting times today is useless as there are just too many variables involved in the process.

I moved to Manalapan from Lacey Twp a little over a year ago. I got printed, and filled out the usual forms including two references. I waited 5 months and finally called to see what was going on, and I was told, "oh yes, all your paperwork is back and you may pick up your new FID card". Thanks for the call!!!! :roll:

Sigh...

Just finished my move to Hamilton and picked up the paperwork last night.

Officer on duty was fine and said I should call today to see about dropping the completed paperwork off today.

Called today and the officer said the clerk was on vacation, but that I could leave it anytime with the front desk and all would be taken care of.

Went to drop it off tonight and the officer at the desk wouldn't take it, because he didn't want to take responsibility for the fees. Was quite rude in fact.

Oh well, will try again on monday.

Gunting, my buddy got his FID and PPs in Hamilton, and says the turn-around time there is pretty good (four weeks for him to get a brand new FID). So, I could imagine that the rest of their paperwork isn't too bad. I'll try to get my buddy on here to explain first hand experiences. And hello from a former Plainsboro "neighbor"

Just picked up my paper work from the State Police for address change. It been 24 years from the last time I had it done. Now with the state of affairs NJ is in it should be interesting as to the turn around time. The last town I lived in Pistol permits took only several days to get, ah the advanages of a small town.

I have done an address change and it took 45 days. Get a few Pistol permits with it to.

Even though I got the address change, the law is quite clear. The FID card never expires. Although the statute says to get it updated in 30 days, it also goes on to say it never expires, unlike PPP which is 90 days as you know.

In any event most FFLs will not sell to someone with a FID w/ different address, some will. Its a gray area.

PS- In before PK90 says the address must be current. :lol:

AND as a side note, your DL is good for 7 days when you move or you can be ticketed for failing to change your DL address. Your FID is no longer valid if the address change is not made by the 30 day period. BOTH must match. ;)

the other thing that sucks is the take the old card.. so no handgun ammo till you get it back...

did mine a few months ago..

Well, I put the paperwork in yesterday.

Cost was $18 money order to state police, + $4 for 2 pistol permits.

And yes, they took my old card (they wouldn't accept the application without it).

Was told 30 days.

As usual they made me feel like a criminal and a leper the whole time...

Sigh...

Why bother. The old card is of no use. As it has your SBI number on it is speeds the process along as they don't have to obtain it from the state. It also proves the fact you actually possessed one in the first place.

Slowing down the process going to be of any benefit to the applicant?

I talked to Edward Zohn, http://www.zohnlaw.com/criminal.htm, when the PD took my dad's card when he needed an address change. He said that the PD is not supposed to take the card, however, as rscalzo has pointed out, he said it's not an issue to get your panties in a bunch about because you can't buy another rifle or shotgun with it, because the card no longer matches your valid id.

it's not an issue to get your panties in a bunch about because you can't buy another rifle or shotgun with it, because the card no longer matches your valid id.

Very very very few people (LEO's included) turn over a dl to look for an MVC address change sticker on the back...

Very very very few people (LEO's included) turn over a dl to look for an MVC address change sticker on the back...

Quite true.

He said that the PD is not supposed to take the card

Unlike NJ Driver's Licenses, I don't believe there was ever any case law or AG Guidelines on that. Did they provide any references?

Quite true.

Unlike NJ Driver's Licenses, I don't believe there was ever any case law or AG Guidelines on that. Did they provide any references?

It was an informal phone call, so nothing was official. He said it wasn't necessary because you can still go to the range with your guns under the other laws for possession.

Quite true.

It was an informal phone call, so nothing was official. He said it wasn't necessary because you can still go to the range with your guns under the other laws for possession.

Some departments take them, most dont. Interesting thing is that the FID card is one of the ONLY Identifications in NJ that can't be "Stolen" It has YOUR fingerprint on it, matched to the ones you submitted with your FID paperwork....not that it ever gets followed up on, but it's the ONLY form of id here that definitly says you are "you".

I had to turn in mine when I did my address change.

OTOH, it may not have been valid the entire time! My wife and I filed at the same time, and they had us fingerprint and sign the blanks at that time. When we got them back, her info was on the card I signed and vice versa...

Slightly more worrisome, though, was that both our FIDs and both our PP paperwork had the same single SBI # on them. AND we executed the PP without problems (at the store 2 different clerks did our paperwork, so I can't blame them for not noticing, but the background check went through with no problems!)

Anyway, the town is going to sort that out.

I had to turn in mine when I did my address change.

OTOH, it may not have been valid the entire time! My wife and I filed at the same time, and they had us fingerprint and sign the blanks at that time. When we got them back, her info was on the card I signed and vice versa...

Slightly more worrisome, though, was that both our FIDs and both our PP paperwork had the same single SBI # on them. AND we executed the PP without problems (at the store 2 different clerks did our paperwork, so I can't blame them for not noticing, but the background check went through with no problems!)

Anyway, the town is going to sort that out.

Wow...

I was impressed when my town DIDN't screw up my father's and my cards, we applied at the same time, we have the same name, only different middle initials.