Sign in to follow this  
Maksim

A Win for gun rights..... and credit cards.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/05/19/news/ec ... 2009051914

Lets see if it passes.

Senate OKs credit card curbs

90-5 vote sends to House a bill that curtails fees and rate hikes. Unrelated provision boosts gun rights. Measure could go to Obama this week.

By Jennifer Liberto, CNNMoney.com senior writer

Last Updated: May 19, 2009: 2:03 PM ET

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney.com) -- The Senate on Tuesday voted 90-5 to approve a bill that will make it tougher for credit card issuers to raise fees and interest rates starting early next year.

The bill includes an unrelated measure that would allow people to carry concealed weapons into national parks.

The bill now goes to the House, which is expected to take it up on Wednesday and pass it before the weekend. The bill would get to President Obama's desk before Memorial Day, as he called for.

"To have the industry reaching and be as abusive to consumers, it needed to stop and it needed to change," said Sen. Chris Dodd, D-Conn., a bill sponsor.

The legislation is moderately tougher on card issuers than are new Federal Reserve rules that take effect in July 2010.

The Senate's bill would take effect in nine months and make it harder for people under age 21 to get credit cards. It would also ban rate hikes unless a consumer is more than 60 days late - and then restore the previous rate after six months if minimum payments are made.

The banking industry decried the bill, saying it would exacerbate the credit crisis and force banks to drop some risky credit card holders.

"We are concerned that the Senate bill will have a dramatic impact on the ability of consumers, students, and small businesses to obtain and use credit cards," said American Bankers Association president Edward Yingling

The credit card legislation has been a long work in progress. The House passed a bill in 2008 and again earlier this year. The legislation, which stalled in past years, was propelled by public outrage and pressure by President Obama.

"I'm very glad to have these reforms within reach at long last," said the bill's House sponsor, Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-N.Y. "To Sen. Dodd's credit, he has enhanced my bill in a few areas - especially in extending from 30 to 60 days before penalty rate hikes can kick in on existing balances."

Maloney added she thought it "unfortunate," that the measure to allow concealed weapons in national parks remained on the credit card bill, especially since Memorial Day kicks off the summer season at national parks. She planned to vote against the gun provision but said it shouldn't block the bill's final passage.

In recent few months, credit card companies have been raising fees and interest rates. From November 2008 to February 2009, rates increased from an average to 13.08% from 12.02%, according to a Federal Reserve Board report.

At the same time, more people are not able to make their credit cards payments and are walking away from the debt, according to a Federal Reserve report.

However, Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner said Monday he was not concerned about a consumer debt "bubble."

"Americans are going to be reducing how much they borrow, improving their balance sheets, saving more," he said. "Banks are still going to have losses they're going to have to adjust to. And that's what's going to make the process of repair here longer. . .But that's a necessary, healthy process of adjustment for us to go through."

Once this passes the house... and signed into law... I think this is a very good bipartisan bill that needs to be enacted quickly, and the first of which I agree with bam bam and the administration, both on the credit card abuse side, and national parks.

I was reading about this a little while ago, I am impressed that it passed by so much considering all of the anti-gun banter that goes on.

Seems like a definite step in the right direction!!

I was reading about this a little while ago, I am impressed that it passed by so much considering all of the anti-gun banter that goes on.

Seems like a definite step in the right direction!!

They've packaged it so to speak. The gun rights portion is hidden in with the credit card stuff and what they're really pushing is the credit card stuff.

Concealed Carry in National Parks could be signed into law on Friday. This was shot down some time ago but the bill was tacked on to the Credit Card Bill for passage. It's amazing how our congress works. Read the article. Many of the anti-gun democrats are furious about this and with Obama. He has said that he will sign the complete bill on Friday. First the Heller decision, now this. Things are going our way but this is not the time to sit back and cheer. We need to keep being vigilant about these issues and push our agenda.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/20/credit-card-forces-dems-vote-gun-rights/?test=latestnews

This is a great. I intended to get my Florida CCW in the near future next time ANJRPC does the roadshow and I'm planning a trip out west this year and next.

The credit card bill is good on some levels. Universal Default is criminal and needed outlawed. That it's been allowed for this long is ridiculous.

Thanks Chad. I didn't see the previous post. I changed my mind, I will sit back and cheer for now. Where are the National Parks in Pennsylvania ? I feel the need for a trip.

I just gave you that post so you could join in on that conversation :)

Here's a list of some national parks in PA...

http://usparks.about.com/blpkpa.htm

Isn't it amazing how we want to vacation only in the states that allow our FL. CCW?? I know thats how I am anyway!

EDIT: this site seems better... http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/parks/index.aspx