Sign in to follow this  
GunFuPanda

Scale fail

So I was well into reloading my first batch of ammo, when I got stopped in my tracks by the PoS digital mini scale that came with my RCBS kit. When I turned it on (for the first time ever) it said "unSR", then "rECAL" and won't do ANYTHING else no matter what buttons I press or batteries I change. Anyone else ever had a problem like this?

(There's a moral somewhere in here about always testing your gear as soon as you get it, but that ship sailed weeks ago...)

Did you calibrate it? They don't come calibrated (or they do but shipping messes them up).

The various cheap mini-scales are actually surprisingly good.  I've been using a Jennings JSR-50 for a decade without issues and it costs like $25. I occasionally check it with test weights and double check it its calibration with a balance beam if I'm loading hot loads, but it has been flawless.

Did you calibrate it? They don't come calibrated (or they do but shipping messes them up).

I intended to calibrate it, but hitting the "CAL" button (and the "MODE" button, for that matter) didn't change anything - according to the instructions, that should've made the display flash "CAL" a few times and then flash "50.00", but in my case the readout just sat on "rECAL" indefinitely.

I'm looking at balance-beam scales now, thinking it might do me good to keep it analog...

I'm with vlad on the cheap digital scales.  I've been using one I got cheap on amazon and it's been flawless.  It gets checked a few time throughout each reloading session just to make sure, but it's been good and reliable so far.

Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Reloading scale - $27.90 on amazon

If you are not yet set in your ways don't give up on electronic scales yet, they are much faster than beam scales. Many reloaders have both, they use the electronic one, and occasionally check it against the beam. I have the RCBS 505 and a jewellers scale, I have no problem with either of them.

>Let RCBS know.

Step 1 before ever posting on the forum—contact the manufacturer.

There should be a notice inside the box when opened: "Contains an electronic balance. End user to immediately unpack read instructions, and test function as shipping can be hard on this product"

I have ONLY used electronic scales since the mid- to late-70s and would not go back (unless electricity disappeared from the world). My Ainsworth from the '70s is still working just fine, my Lyman 1500 works fine, and my RCBS ChargeMaser is great.