Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Photographing Shooting Events

Does anyone know if the ranges that host the IDPA or other events would have an interest in quality photography of the matches? I have a couple of ideas for decent photography, but I would need to place the camera downrange and pointed back at the shooter, and would certainly need the cooperation of the RSO for that setup.

Ken

The only one I know is doing it are the world class steel folks. I know because I'm doing their galleries.

Downrange photography that isn't the same thing over and over and over again is a huge PITA. We recently put on a pro-am match, which was actually pretty good for getting some more interesting shots.

gallery is here:

http://www.worldclasssteel.com/gallery/2009EastCoastPro-Am

Indoor events would present a whole 'nother set of challenges. Indoor ranges aren't particularly bright or visually attractive. It would take a lot of additional lighting to be able to make acceptable images at a fast-paced indoor shooting event, and then you have the issues of flash placement and recycle times. Could be fun to try.

K

Nice images. Who was the photographer?

I took them myself. When I said I was doing their galleries, I meant from click to display.

I was surprised how useful my 10-17 fisheye lens was for something that is regarded by many as a gimmick. It really let me stick the camera in places I couldn't otherwise.

Never underestimate the value of a good wide angle lens. I use mine at least as often as the big guns, and in some cases it's the only way to make photos that are interesting enough to stand out from the crowd.

K

NIce pictures Ken!

The images in that gallery aren't mine. Raz-o shot them. I can see how this thread is getting confusing.

K