Sign in to follow this  
AntZ

Glock vs Sig vs CZ

Yes I am. Lone Wolf Distributors 40-9 conversion. I guess I could have just gotten a G17. I wanted something with more umph for home defense at the time.

According to their website

Notice: About 1% of our 9mm conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of Winchester White Box (WWB) and/or Remington (UMC) 115 grain ammunition and may fail to extract reliably.

Do you have to avoid these ammo or they are OK for your G22?

I went through 500 rounds of Winchester White box without a problem. Probably 1500 rounds of American Eagle. 1000 Rounds of Blazer. I don't think I've ever used UMC. I didn't change out the extractor or spring. I just dropped in the barrel and went to the range.

I did have one failure to extract, but I believe it to be a manufacturer defect. An aluminum Blazer case did get caught in the ejection port(?) once. The rim of the case is jagged(see attached picture) and I have noticed it on many of the Blazer rounds that I have. I still need to contact the manufacturer about there possibly being a bad lot. Not sure though.

, they won't last as long as steel.

What are you basing that on? It isn't a highly stressed part. Based on Glock's experience, the rod will last for years. Even so, it will outlast some of the springs that require changing and will probably outlast the recoil spring. Even if it does break, it will not necessarily affect the firearm's operation. Years back everyone said the poly frames wouldn't last and here we are twenty years later with those same frames still functioning fine.

Do you know which calibers were affected by the multi strand springs

The one group was from a 225 in 40S&W. They were replaced and no further problems were noted. Single or multi-strand makes no difference to me. I have semi-autos in both styles and they all work. Just because a manufacturer changes a spec everyone seems to make a ton of unsubstantiated comments.

mythical status that was once shared with HK

They are now made a few miles away by basically the same employment pool on the same machines. Sig can keep everything the same and raise their prices up to where S&W went with their third gen. right up to the point of discontinuing the entire line. there is a point where people will stop buying. Sig is no more expensive than the other quality alloy/steel framed firearms. Do you know of any manufacturer that doesn't change any parts over the years? None keep things the same as vendors change, availability changes.

newer ones are worth over $800 new. For that money, I'd easily get an HK

You can get a new H&K handgun for less that $800? Not from what I've seen. The going rate starts at $800 and goes up from there. Pricing is almost the same for both manufacturers.

Does his best Fred Flintstone face..... oh boy.....

If the newer Sigs work for you, more power to ya. As mentioned (numerous times in this thread), to me it seems like Sig is cost cutting by using parts like plastic guide rods and what not. To me these cost cutting measures equal a gun that is not as over engineered to the same level as the older Sigs. And yes, the plastic guide rods won't last as long as metal... and this came from a Sig customer service rep who at first tried to dodge the answer to that question. I wouldn't rule out a new Sig, but I'd be very particular about which model and what parts are in it.

You're defensiveness of Sig pistols is justified in that they are a very good pistol. I'm not debating that. They are a different pistol now than they were 10+ years ago though. I prefer the older pistols for reasons already given (numerous times). Again, I wouldn't rule out a new one, but I'd be going into that purchase w/ eyes wide open. IMHO the only thing the newer Sig P series have on the old ones are a better finish and more model variations.

As for HK, was looking at a USP 9Compact and it was the same price as a P228 w/ rail = $810 at Meltzers.

I guess you made a typo, but I don't think the P225 was ever made in .40.

I think it all comes down to personal preference and familiarity. I've shot Mak's CZ, and HK, but for me personally, nothing feels better in the hand then the Sig. I'm aware of the plastic guide rods, and I also know of a few places where you can get steel ones. I used the 226 in the navy, and even after not shooting for 12 years, shooting one last week just felt natural.

I think it all comes down to personal preference and familiarity. I've shot Mak's CZ, and HK, but for me personally, nothing feels better in the hand then the Sig. I'm aware of the plastic guide rods, and I also know of a few places where you can get steel ones. I used the 226 in the navy, and even after not shooting for 12 years, shooting one last week just felt natural.

Have to + 1 the natural shootability of the Sig. I went shooting a few weeks ago w/ the wife and had a P226, 2nd gen G17 and 3rd gen G19 w/ me. After a couple hundred rounds of the Glocks, switched over to the P226 and it was like putting on perfectly fitting gloves. Amazingly easy pistol to shoot very accurately. At 15 yards, my 1st two 5 round groups with the P226 went into 1". With the Glocks I'm struggling to keep the groups under 2", although the G17 is easier to shoot accurately than the G19. Really really have to get a P228/P229. Although the P220 Match gives me a tingly feeling in my pants!!!

It was a typo. The department carries 226 Sig's. As far as the guide rod, it isn't in every model. No idea which ones but recent manufactured firearms have metal guide rods.

As far as cost cutting, one major thread was the change of the case the handgun came in. As there was no cost cutting but only a design change, those shouting about the change did not know what they were talking about. As those cases are produced locally, the change was made to cut down one the different type of cases needed. Warehouse space is at a premium in the factory at this time.

The change from two to one magazine didn't affect quality in the handgun in the least yet it was lumped into quality threads. Sig had the option of not shipping at all or shipping with one. True they could have reduced the cost to reflect the change . It might have been they didn't raise the price to reflect the change. In any case they are at the mercy or Mecgar and they are running back ordered until recently.

Change always seems to be perceived as producing a degraded product. As the change in some of the handgun line has only been in existence for a few months, no one knows what the effect is except SIG. They test random samples at length. the academy staff shoots thousands of rounds a week in a real life testing program so before I turn away from a change, I will wait for evidence of it's failure.