Sign in to follow this  
AntZ

Glock vs Sig vs CZ

I don't mean which is better. I am interested in the width. When I hold one in store, I alway feel glock is wider than others. I was supprised that after checking on line, I got following

Glock 17 1.18 in

Kimber 1911 1.28 in

CZ 75 1.4 in

Sig 229 1.5 in

Sig site state the width as overall width.

Sig feelt much thinner than Glock when I held it. May be the grip is thinner. Could some one have both Glock and Sig or CZ take a look to see if it that is the case?

the glocks are more squarish, and that is why they dont fit my hands well, esp during recoil.

Sigs are nice, but feel fairly wide.

CZ's fit like a charm. I dont think many can argue that a CZ is not a natural fit in the hand.

I would worry more about feel than grip width, unless there is a special reason. Even then, thinner does not make up for comfort which aids in better shooting. I have not met many people that have not held a CZ comfortably. A Sig 229 is also a very comfortable grip. I have a Kimber that fits well, but the glock feels like a 2x4 to me.

Glocks definitely feel a bit off, reason why I shyed away from getting a g19. I know it wasn't brought up in the OP's thread, but I like the feel of the SA XDs. A bit blockish, but not nearly as bad as glocks (SAs are wider then Glocks). And it sits like a 1911... reason why I was suckered into getting one. As for the the names listed, I'm not surprised that Sigs are the widest. I personally love how they feel, and would've bought a P226 if I had the money to spare at the time.

i love the feel of the SA XD's... much more comfy for some reason than any glock.

Browning Hi powers are also quite comfy, as are HK's. As are berettas.

Actually, now that I think about it... for my hand, almost anything outside of a Desert Eagle feels better than a glock. :lol:

this is not knocking any reliability of the glocks. Although, I did rent one glock 9mm that had the hogue grip overgrip, and it was alot better.

I wanted to get the Glock 21 but when I picked up te XD 45 tactical, I changed my mind. The Glock didn't point naturally for me but the XD's sights came right to my eye. Also, it felt like I was grabbing a square hand-rail when I picked up the Glock. I thought that was just me but a few others here said the same thing.

Also, it felt like I was grabbing a square hand-rail when I picked up the Glock.

I didn't like the feel of the Block either, and the Sig I was looking at felt front-heavy to me. I came home with the M&P, and like it a lot. Fits my long, thin hand well and points accurately. My next buy will be either a CZ, Beretta, or Bersa (still looking for one to fondle... none around locally).

K

I guess I'm the freak in the bunch. I like the way the glock 19 feels in my hand.. but i had a blue gun version before I even bought the real one, so I knew what I was getting into. Aside from adding a Vicker's extended mag release (I couldn't consistently reach the stock mag release with my thumb without shifting the gun slightly), everything lines up just like it should for me.

+1 on the M&P for those that don't like the Glock tho. I have an M&P 9, and it fits my hand very well. The adjustable back strap is a really nice feature. Now if they would only release some 15rnd mags for it!

I went to the Sig demo at Bullethole today and shot a P226 and felt very good. Glock also felt good until I shot it. I don't have a larg hand but a full size 1911 just feels right. If they have a sig 226 with night sight and 15 rd mags, I am going to get it. I am also going to check out SW to see how it feels.

I have a Glock 17 and a SigSauer P226. I find the grip on the Glock to be narrower. However, I also put rubber grips on my Sig for comfort (this makes the grip a little wide).

My Sig is the older style, without the tactical rails on the slide (I had night sights installed on it). It takes a double stack magazine (if you want narrower, a P239 has a narrower grip because it is single stack).

My Glock is a newer style, with a tactical rail and finger contours on the grip.

I prefer the feel and weight of the Sig. I'm just not a Glock guy.

I liked the way the Glock felt until they added the finger contours. And because of those I will never own another. I really like the way the Sig 22x line feels in the hand. Unless you have bear paws, I'd stay away from the wood grips.

The OP was comparing a G17 to a Sig P229. I think a more fair comparison would be a G17 to a Sig P226 or G19 to a Sig P228/9.

Anyway....

If you want a slim and high capacity 9mm, check out a Browning High Power or, if you can find one, a Browning BDM (don't think they are made anymore, but it was a 15 round 9mm DA/SA pistol that was exceedingly slim and very underrated). HK P7 series & Walther P5 are very slim as is just about any 1911 I've seen. I understand the new Ruger LC9 ( not sure of model name, but it's the new 17 rounder w/ Glock type trigger.

I have a 9mm Sig P226 (last year of the German made ones), G17 2nd gen, G19 2nd gen, G19 3rd gen (w/ finger grooves & light rail), SA 1911 Loaded, SA XD9 Tact & XD45 Tact, Beretta 92FS, CZ75B SA in .40, HK USP45F .... and the list goes on. Ultimately, find one that fits you well. Everyone's hand is different. I will say that I do believe that any reputable handgun manufacturer (HK, Glock, Sig, etc.) that uses the Sig designed modified Browning locking block design is more or less equally mechanically accurate. After that, it's how well it allows the user to consistently use that accuracy. I do find that the G17 is easily capable of equal accuracy that the Sig P226 delivers, it's just that the Sig allows the shooter to do it a lot easier. For me, I really have to concentrate to shoot tiny groups w/ the Glocks as compared to the Sig. I've also learned that if you practice enough w/ any gun, you will become proficient on it.

Thanks for the reply

check out a Browning High Power

I have been looking for a BHP since maksim mentioned it but haven't see one in store.

Sig allows the shooter to do it a lot easier

Agree. I tried a P226 on Sig demo day and get a very small group and that is the first time I hold a sig. I have to try very hard with a Glock and go very slow to do that.