Sign in to follow this  
Genewarper111

New rules or the state police having fun..?

So - we all know that the requirement to sign when we buy ammo isn't a law that's on the books in NJ, but des anyone know about this?

A friend has a permit for a pistol. He stopped in at a local gunshop on 31 and wanted to look at a pistol. He had his FPID, but the owner wouldn't let him touch the gun without his permit to purchase...?????

Any ideas, anyone?

Happy Shooting

G

He was probably lazy and didn't want to go through the "hassle" of showing him something if he knew he couldn't buy it right then and there.

That sounds like it to me.. I have gone window shopping before and for the most part the owners are usually cool with just talking about the gun even knowing I am not going to buy it.

Actually reminds me of a guy at the valley forge show who was asking every person who had a question or wanted to see one of his AR's if they were "seriously considering buying it" before he would answer any questions. How could you do that? Especially with so many AR dealers there. I'd rather pay $500 more from someone else than dealing with someone like that. :roll:

Actually reminds me of a guy at the valley forge show who was asking every person who had a question or wanted to see one of his AR's if they were "seriously considering buying it" before he would answer any questions. How could you do that? Especially with so many AR dealers there. I'd rather pay $500 more from someone else than dealing with someone like that. :roll:

I am sure you were not the only one who was aggravated by that person. I usually would make a comment out loud (something like.. Oh D#$K) and walk away.

Some people just suck!!

Some stores are like that. The theory is they do not want to waste time with window shoppers thinking they might miss a real sale. And the few I had been to were right, because I was waiting for my permits to come in I was looking for a gun to put on layaway. And those shops did not get the sale. And as it turned out I spent $1200 and my wife $500. Not many shops do that anymore, because some people actually go back and let them know they lost $1700 because of stupidity.

had that happen before, they do not want to waste time when they do that.. good reason not to go back..if they do not want to take the time to help you out the heck with them..browsing is a big part of buying a handgun to make sure it is realy what you want.

This practice is nothing new. I remember when Sports Authority still sold guns, I asked to look at a rifle. They wouldn't let me because I didn't have my FID with me; they said it as the law. This was new to me, since I had looked at rifles at other stores without having to have my FID.

It is possible that it is the store's policy. It is also just as possible that the state police superintendant imposed an order on all gun dealers; it may not be law, per se, but not complying will get unwanted attention on licensed dealers.

When considering how hostile NJ is toward gun owners, it is even more hostile towards gun dealers. So keep that in mind and cut them a little slack if they won't show you a firearm without FID or purchase permit.

It is also just as possible that the state police superintendent imposed an order on all gun dealers;

It is store policy. The state has not mandated any such policy. A saleperson can only deal with one person at a time unless they want to have a firearm stolen as was the case with a former dealer in Jersey City. This policy cuts down on those not able to purchase. Their shop, their rules.

Yes...not showing you something because you dont have a FID is common practice, thats true. But not showing a handgun because you dont have a PP thats something I've never heard of.

I've seen it done in Rays, and a half-dozen other places around the state. IMO it was more of a Clerk's issue than anything else since i'd seen other clerks in the same stores show people anything they wanted to see without asking for anything.

Yes...not showing you something because you dont have a FID is common practice, thats true. But not showing a handgun because you dont have a PP thats something I've never heard of.

+1

At least if they see your FID they know you have the ability to purchase 'something', or the ability to get a PP.

Agreed....attitude/laziness issue maybe, like they are doing us a favor.

Every try to buy Ammo at K-mart or Sport's Authoriity when they still sold it???? More than onc ei had to remind the Dipstick behind the counter that Store Policy did not equal Law,. and ALL that (At the time) was required was a Valid ID to buy Ammo, NOT an FID. There are a LOT og Gun stores in this state that I walksed out of within 5 minutes of arriving because of the attitudes of the people behind the counters. Hell the ONLY reason I used Rays was because they usually had what I needed in Stock, right there, and their Uniforms were GOOD quality, although expensive as hell.

Hell the ONLY reason I used Rays was because they usually had what I needed in Stock, right there, and their Uniforms were GOOD quality, although expensive as hell.

If you didn't mind them either losing or forgetting the order. They pissed me off so bad one time I canceled the order and send a letter to my LE rep. He passed it one to Ray himself who must have reamed the salesman. He made him drive my order up to my house that day. Guess you didn't want to get on Ray's wrong side.

If it wasn't for Dwight I think the gun department would have wsent under.