67gtonut

One of the age old debates.... 686 vs. GP100

In a 1993 Shooting Times article six 357 Magnum revolvers from six different manufacturers were tested with 14 different types of ammo utilizing Ransom Rests and shot at 4 separate distances - 25, 50, 75 , and 100 yards. All were 6" stainless revolvers.

Each revolver was shot 12 times at each distance with each load. When the groups were tabulated for all loads at all distances with each revolver these were the placements for accuracy:

1- 3.28" S&W 686

2- 3.63" Wesson Firearms FB M715

3- 3.75" Taurus M689

4- 3.83" Colt Python

5- 3.87" Ruger GP100

6- 5.08 Rossi M971

That does not mean that the results will always be the same if a new group of the same guns would go at it again. But, at least in this test , the GP100 held its own.

Well, I was on RT206 this afternoon in Andover/Newton area, and I stopped at this little gun shop/fishing store.

Low and behold... a fully stocked arsenal!!!

He had a 686..... and for an awesome price. But then he placed a Colt Python in my hand...... OH MY! :shock:

Then he also had a M&P15 AR there for over $200 less then the Silver Bullit had it for.... only $999.00

He had a ton of neat stuff...... Sold the Sig AR while I was standing there...

I had to leave......... the little voices in my head where getting too loud :twisted:

The 686 is one of the best looking revolvers made. But Ruger makes a quality revolver that will last a long time. Either is a good choice but stay away from those Rossi's.

Well, I was on RT206 this afternoon in Andover/Newton area, and I stopped at this little gun shop/fishing store.
What is shop called? Do you have the address or phone number?

http://simonpetersport.com/index.asp

I came home with my finances intact...... it was close, but I walked away.

Between the GTO paintjob...... and a motorcycle purchase in the near future, I need to be happy with the firearms I already have.....

In a 1993 Shooting Times article six 357 Magnum revolvers from six different manufacturers were tested with 14 different types of ammo utilizing Ransom Rests and shot at 4 separate distances - 25, 50, 75 , and 100 yards. All were 6" stainless revolvers.

Each revolver was shot 12 times at each distance with each load. When the groups were tabulated for all loads at all distances with each revolver these were the placements for accuracy:

1- 3.28" S&W 686

2- 3.63" Wesson Firearms FB M715

3- 3.75" Taurus M689

4- 3.83" Colt Python

5- 3.87" Ruger GP100

6- 5.08 Rossi M971

That does not mean that the results will always be the same if a new group of the same guns would go at it again. But, at least in this test , the GP100 held its own.

Hmmm. GP100 held its own? What does it mean? At fifth place? And why do so many people knock down Taurus (ranked high in this test)? Taurus is less expensive, and for a revolver they are decent quality (reliability is a given with a revolver ... no jams likely compared to a Pistol, for example).

It all boils down to construction, precision, and trigger smoothness (i.e., lack of creep, travel delay, etc)

I am considering a GP100 myself. GP-141 (~4"), blue, to be specific. I like the feel of the gun in my hand - balanced.

Like all AR-15's aren't the same (like some sellers will say and try to convince you!), same is true of revolvers. Quality matters.

For ARs, a LWRC isn't the same as a S&W M&P 15 series! LWRC is better, but of course more expensive.

I like the GP100, but is the GP100 a good value, or should I plunk my money on Taurus or S&W?

I want a bargain, as in, best for my money. I don't believe in the gunk and outdated "you get what you pay for". Those people don't know much about market economics. There are bargains to be had. I prefer, "you should do your own research to make sure you get what you pay for". Cheap is good and we should buy at the least price the product we want.

Taurus in my experience has been hit or miss on QC. Some work great, others suck. And their customer service is horrible. I was repairing a pistol for a friend and after one phone call to Taurus I knew I would never buy one. By the 3rd call after recieving the wrong parts it was confirmed. I will not buy a Taurus.

Taurus in my experience has been hit or miss on QC. Some work great, others suck. And their customer service is horrible. I was repairing a pistol for a friend and after one phone call to Taurus I knew I would never buy one. By the 3rd call after recieving the wrong parts it was confirmed. I will not buy a Taurus.

I have heard this before with gunshops and "gun experts". But the truth is Taurus sells alot of firarms and not just revolvers. They come out with new and innovative stuff and have taken the lead in the "cool factor" in firearms. From the Judge and Public defender revolvers, to the lightest 380 in the market, and to using metals and materials not used before, and having priced them all at a point where anyone can afford them. Like them or not, they continue to sell and they ain't goin nowhere for a while.

I have heard this before with gunshops and "gun experts". But the truth is Taurus sells alot of firarms and not just revolvers. They come out with new and innovative stuff and have taken the lead in the "cool factor" in firearms. From the Judge and Public defender revolvers, to the lightest 380 in the market, and to using metals and materials not used before, and having priced them all at a point where anyone can afford them. Like them or not, they continue to sell and they ain't goin nowhere for a while.

I am not debating their place in the market or the fact they have some firearms that are pretty cool looking. I am by no stretch a Gun Expert, I have had experiences that would preclude me from buying a Taurus. I had an issue with a brand new HK years back, sent it to them, 2 weeks later it was back and worked great. All companies have lemons. It is the response you get when you try to get them fixed that builds loyalty. And I have not been impressed by personal experiences I have had that coincide with other bad experiences I have read about.

My opinion is a New or Used Ruger or a Used pre lock 686. I would not buy a new 686 with a lock. The Smith will have a better trigger. With either one you can not go wrong.

My thoughts exactly.

I have grown really fond of Ruger's in the past few years. They are excellent revolvers.

Taurus.....I saw a new judge that was nicely put together but usually, the Taurus wheelguns (and 1911's from my experience) are sloppy and sub par.

I could never justify a Taurus revolver when Ruger's are just a little bit more cashola and they are MADE IN THE USA - like most of my lead chuckers.

Just my blunt and brutally honest opinion - as always! :lol:

+1 on Taurus being innovative and affordable. For example, I hear their 92FS clone is improved over the original. Ambi safety, etc. and it costs less than the original.

Note, now guns too are being OEM'ed. So, find out who actually made the gun for a brand name!

So far as I know, Taurus manufactures their own guns.

I am not debating their place in the market or the fact they have some firearms that are pretty cool looking. I am by no stretch a Gun Expert, I have had experiences that would preclude me from buying a Taurus. I had an issue with a brand new HK years back, sent it to them, 2 weeks later it was back and worked great. All companies have lemons. It is the response you get when you try to get them fixed that builds loyalty. And I have not been impressed by personal experiences I have had that coincide with other bad experiences I have read about.

I've heard these same horror stories from co-workers and people in the gunshops. But like you said, your HK had issues and they hooked you up in two weeks. I can't comment on Taurus's customer service because I really haven't used them. For a handgun manufacturer to guarantee their firearm for life, they have to honor that and I respect that. Recently, my mom and dad got devorced. My mom was living on her own and she needed something for defense. We bought a used M605 357 revolver since it was cheap and easy to use. I called the company to see if it was still under warrenty and he said, "the warrenty is for the life of the firearm, not the life of the owner." I can't complain about that. The only complaint I do haved is that they aren't made in the good ole US of A. But that's out of my hands.

I love my 686, had it over 10 years never a problem. Can't go wrong with S&W, worth the price.

I had a Taurus 92 clone. It broke while shooting a piece of the frame broke off. They honored the warrentee and replaced it but it cost me a second permit and S&H down to them. I sold it and would never buy Taurus again. Pieces shouldn't break off of the frame.

TC

My opinion is a New or Used Ruger or a Used pre lock 686. I would not buy a new 686 with a lock. The Smith will have a better trigger. With either one you can not go wrong.

Can someone tell me what the issue is with the lock on a new 686? I've read this a few times before, but have never seen/handled a 686 (with or without lock) and I'm unclear about why it would be a problem

How can you go wrong with this:

IMG_1654.jpg

I also got a DeSantis left handed leather holster for it and even though I can't carry it around, I do use it at the range and in Pennsy.

IMG_1655.jpg