springfieldfan09

Looking into a 308

the remy 700 is the classic .308 but if your looking for something more "tac"....go with the Savage 10FP. I was in the market for a .308 a few years ago and it came down to the Rem 700 PSS and the Savage 10FP...and I went with the savage based on feel, reputation, and price. the 26in heavy free float barrel, AccuTrigger (adjustable to lb/pull pref.), and the oversized bolt knob were the selling points for me. Get urself a bipod and some nice glass and you have yourself a tack driver. The one thing I would do is get a replacement stock if you get the "bare bones" model. Choate and HS Precision make some nice ones. Good luck and keep me posted!

Here's a few pics of mine....

[attachment=1]Savage 1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Savage 2.jpg[/attachment]

Ok...In the pics I see spots on the carpet...I see nothing when looking at it with the naked eye. Am I losing my mind or my eyesight? Reflection? Ghosts?

My favorite bolt action thunder sticks are the FN bolt rifles. They fit your criteria and they sure will make you smile when you pull the trigger but.......You WILL cry when you first buy.

The FN SPR's have a sub MOA or sub half MOA guaranatee depending on model. All have chrome lined barrels and chambers for easy clean up and extremely long barrel life.

The PSR line is also guaranteed sub MOA out of the box. They also have chrome lined barrels and chambers.

I am partial to the Model 70 claw extractor (CRF) in tactical rifles and hunting rifles. Just what I like. No flames please!

My second favorite bolt gun is the Remington 700.

I have seen some that shoot one ragged hole with factory ammo right out of the box and some that needed a teeny bit of work to make them shoot well. I would say the vast majority shoot very well out of the box, especially the heavy barreled varmint models and the 700 Police.

My father has a Remmy 700 CDL Stainless Fluted in 30.06 and it will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with 180 grain Nosler Accubonds and 165 grain Federal Fusions. He was so happy, he sold off all of his other hunting rifles and bought a nice new Leupold to go with it.

I have no experience with these myself but the new Kimber 8400 Advanced Tactical and Tactical models seem extremely well fit from the two models I have fondled in real life and I have read nothing but great things about them on the internet forums and what not. Not cheap though.

Kimber 8400 are sleek and light true hunting rifles - Excellent rifle.

If you can find one - a new production Winchester Model 70 looks like an amazing package.

Others like Savage a lot for out of the box accuracy and Ruger makes accurate rifles as well from what I have seen but I have no personal experience with them to share.

Hope this helps!

post the 10/22 up here, I'm still looking for a 10/22 to buy

and yeah I don't have anything useful to post in this thread, sorry for the hijack :)

Thanks. But Dicks has it new for $199. So it is not worth the trouble for me to try to sell it.

post the 10/22 up here, I'm still looking for a 10/22 to buy

and yeah I don't have anything useful to post in this thread, sorry for the hijack :)

Thanks. But Dicks has it new for $199. So it is not worth the trouble for me to try to sell it.

I'm looking for a cheap 10/22 ;)

Don't forget about the Howa 1500 - several different configurations and barrel lengths. This is my Howa Axiom with 24" barrel. You can also get a Hogue overmolded stock and a 20" barrel, or wood. Great shooter at a great price.

howa1500.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

For those with the Savage 10FP,

1) What did you pay for it? (stock)

2) Chad, what bipod is that in your pics?

3) I'm right handed, but shoot rifles leftie (left eye dom). I was thinking about getting the regular version (Right). Is there any disadvantage? (My rem shotgun, ar-15, and ar-15-22 are all right handed and I have no issues) I don't want to get a right handed version and find out the bolt is on my cheek.

Z

Don't forget about the Howa 1500 - several different configurations and barrel lengths. This is my Howa Axiom with 24" barrel. You can also get a Hogue overmolded stock and a 20" barrel, or wood. Great shooter at a great price.

howa1500.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nice, Howa and Savage are often over looked these days they tend to get just as good if not better reviews

then the 700's. I am going to get a Savage 10FCP HP, the 1st link is the review only in the McMillan stock which

they do not recommend, the standard FCP HP has a better stock as it's bedded and a better price tag.

http://www.snipercentral.com/sav10fcpmcm.htm

http://www.snipercentral.com/howa.htm