matt6669

Taking the Plunge

I think I'm finally going to suck it up and take the plunge into the reloading world. I think I've narrowed down my choices I'm just not sure of which to go with and then I'd like a little bit more help from you guys.

These are my choices for my loaders and to start out with I will be reloading .40s&w and 7mm-08 remington

Lee Anniversary loading kit

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0003080216577a&navCount=22&podId=0003080&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20728-cat20847&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

Lee Classic Turret kit

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0044122216337a&navCount=23&podId=0044122&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20728-cat20847&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

Lee Pro 1000

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0003093211015a&navCount=24&podId=0003093&parentId=cat20847&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat20728-cat20847&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

I'm not sure if this will work with the calipers that I want to load if anyone can help me here.

I'm looking at the Lee's based on price if someone has other recommendations I'm all eyes and ears.

Then:

Lee Carbide Dies for .40s&w

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat602007-cat20728-cat20847&id=0012803210545a&navCount=25&podId=0012803&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

Lee pacesetter dies for 7mm-08

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=cat602007-cat20728-cat20847&id=0012803210542a&navCount=26&podId=0012803&parentId=&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

Any guidance is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Matt

All of my dies ar RCBS or Dillon, I have not used lee dies.

But my next press will be a Lee Classic Turret. Out of the ones on your list that is what I would pick. It will significantly speed up loading over a single stage. You can still have the control over every step as well when you are learning and nervous about making a mistake.

Nick, I just curious what you had heard about the lee that makes it bad for reloading rifle rounds. I've heard good things about it for pistol but havn't done much research as far as rifle rounds go. I don't think I really want to swing for a progressive right now as I think thats going to be out of my budget.

I'm looking for spend no more than like 180 bucks for everything minus dies to get started. I don't mind if I have to spend some extra time reloading if it means my press is going to cost more.

Thanks for the info thus far guys!

I have been using a Lee Classic Turret Press for about 9 months now. Thats what I tought myself on. I have been loading 9mm, 45acp & just recently .223. Would glady recommend it for your first press. There are a few quirks with it...but I am sure you will have quirks with any brand.

For the price & durability...you cant beat it.

Its in the middle of a single stage & a progressive.

I have 2 turrets with seperate 9mm Lee dies & 2 turrets with seperate 45 acp Lee dies. It makes it easier for me when I switch bullets. No adjusting dies. Cheap enough for each setup. I have a Pacesetter setup for my .223.

I also just bought a Lee Challenger Breech lock single stage. I use that to deprime/decap the .223 in a seperate operation from my sizing die.With the quick change bushings its easy enoughto use it for bullet pulling & stuck case removal.

just my .02

I'm really leaning towards that lee classic turret, just waiting to hear back from nick on him opinions based on rifle loading as I really can't afford to buy two loaders so I'd need it to work well with both rifle and pistol rounds.

M

Go with the Lee Classic Turret. It is faster than a single stage but can be used as a single stage for learning. Progressives are great and I do all of my pistol on them. the Lee progressives are very finicky and it can be frustrating when learning to load. Once they are set up they are solid, but can run out of time and need more frequent adjustments.

A Hornady LNL is a good press as is a RCBS Pro 2000 for a progressive press to do rifle and pistol.

I am putting together a reloading class for mid August if you are interested. Stay tuned for more info.

so tb you think that the lee classic turret will be fine for reloading my own rifle rounds??? I just want to make sure before I got ahead and spend the coin to later find out that it really isn't a good one for reloading rifle rounds.

And yes I would definitely be interested in the reloading class as well so I will keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks a lot for the help thus far guys

M

heh im kinda the other end of the state from you. I'm in North Jersey in West Milford but thanks for the offer. I will look into the RCBS kit, but if I remember correctly I think that kit is sorta pricey.

I think I am really leaning towards the lee classic turret, I probably wont' buy for another week or so, so if anyone comes up with anything please let me know.

M

Pricey at appx. $250.00? The press is built like a tank and will last 100 years. The scale and powder measure are the same. Remember buy cheap get cheap.

Check Midway usa and Natchez for the best prices. My offer stands to you or anyone else in the State. Free reloading lessons from someone reloading since 1982.

Well, I certainly no expert, but I've been reloading with my Lee Anniversary Kit for 15 years. It's the only press I have. It's not the best, but it works fine for me. I load both rifle and pistol with it. I like single stage presses myself. I don't like everything happening at once. I like to check after each step in the reloading process. You can't do that with a progressive. The priming step is the most exciting part of the process. I like to feel the primers getting seated properly. Doing this in a press is scary for me. I use the hand primer so I can make sure there is no high primers. This is especially important for semi-auto guns.

I would recommend a good powder scale. Correct powder charging is critical for safety. I started with the Lee and then bought a Dillon when I could afford it. You may want to get RCBS dies if you can afford it also.

does anyone reload .40 s&w on here. Wondering if anyone would be interested in reloading some cases for me until my press comes I'm looking to order in the next couple weeks I gotta buy my rifle scope first.

Also, any recommendations for a tumbler and cleaning supplies etc. I am going to borders etc this weekend to see if they actually carry any of the reloading manuals if not I'm going to order them from cabela's so I can start to do some hardcopy reading.

Thanks

M

does anyone reload .40 s&w on here. Wondering if anyone would be interested in reloading some cases for me until my press comes I'm looking to order in the next couple weeks I gotta buy my rifle scope first.

Also, any recommendations for a tumbler and cleaning supplies etc. I am going to borders etc this weekend to see if they actually carry any of the reloading manuals if not I'm going to order them from cabela's so I can start to do some hardcopy reading.

Thanks

M

I reload 40 S&W. Where are you located? Check MidwayUSA for reloading manuals.

I'm way up in West Milford, practically in NY but still NJ

I put off the reloading press for a couple weeks I went out and bought a 10/22 instead. But I am stock piling brass and searching for good reloading manuals

I have the Lee Loadmaster. It is OK, but I wish I had sprung for the Dillon. The primer attachment is problematic (I end up doing a session of de-priming cartridges and then using the Lee Auto-Primer by hand). Also, I can never seem to get the cartridge feeder to work by itself, I always have to give it a little assist. Even with these quirks, I can always load up four or five boxes of shells in an hour.

When yer interested in reloading, give me a buzz Im in Ogdensburg, Ive got Lee presses and be glad to show you how they work.

No matter what press ya buy weather it cost ya a hundred bucks ta get started or a thousand. Both machines are making the same ammo, cartridge primer powder bullet nuthin more nuthin less.

So, Lee RCBS Hornady Dillion Redding Forster Lyman, In the end they all make the same thing loaded ammo.