Wolfy

New gun shop Jackson

A friend told me about this place yesterday it is called the Gun Room.

19 N County Line Rd

Jackson NJ 08527

(732) 363-9951

It sits on the corner of County Line Rd and Bennetts Mills Rd. Next to the TD Bank.

I called the number and they are not open yet but coming soon.

I saw the sign up on the board for that office bldg they are in. Mostly a doc/dentist & insurance type office bldg. Great location for me though! I hope that the recent one handgun a month nonsense has not caused them to change their minds. Last time I had called, which was right after I saw the sign go up, several weeks ago, there was no message. So I had no idea if it was a firearms retailaer or a gym for people that want to work on their "arms" ;)

Its actually 2 buildings on Eastbound County Line just west of a bank and CVS, which are at Bennetts Mills. IIRC, there is an insurance agency or two and some other offices, possibly Docs/dentists/financial planners, whatever. I dont rememebr names offhand. SO no range there for sure. The bldgs are shared & multifloor and much smaller that the Lakewood bldgs that have BA and SS in them. Plus there's houses right in back, the Lake Enno section of Jackson. Will see what happens. but it would be cool to be able to buy guns & maybe ammo and shoot in the same town where I live. I will probably hit CJRPC at the end of this month.

Stopped by today....They are the last location in the far building from the street. No instructions in the window....no opening dates....just store name on the door and the name on the street sign.

The neighboring store was open so I asked if they knew anything about the gun room and they had no idea it was even there. Said no one has been in and out and didnt even know that location was rented.

Maybe twp. paperwork or even state paperwork holding them up??? Maybe someone should try the phone number again and see what it says.

-Scott

FYI: Stopped by today when I was in Jackson. They have an hours sign up and it reads as follows:

Closed: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday

Open: Wed. - Fri. 10-6. Saturday 10-2.

Might have to stop by one day during business hours to see what they have as far as gun and ammo inventory. I work less then 5 minutes from their store. I will keep you guys informed.

-Scott

I was there Wednesday. Same FFL that owned the former Jackson Sporting Goods store. (Rick Beers) Retired for a while and decided to go back into business again. He said he would be dealing mostly in trade-ins and used guns. Lots of knives and bayonets. Some ammo at competetive prices. Store is about 10 feet x 12 feet.

He had a few used shotguns, a nice S & W 459, model 14, 422. Also some old military rifles, didn't really look at them. Ammo : 9mm 40 and some 45 were 18 - 21 dollars. I did not see more that 2 boxes of each on the shelf. I've been to his store many many times in the old days. All I have to say is that he was very nice and personable.

How tough is it to open a gun store?

From what I've read, pretty hard in NJ. A lot of time and very expensive. You need to have a business premise with OK from the local authorities (zoning and such).. then you need to have appropriate security systems in place and jump through hoops to appease the state police, and then finally you can apply for the FFL.

Seems like there would be a very high expense of paying rent on an empty store while your licenses are getting approved..

But that's only what I read on the internet.

coldsolderjoint I agree I think the toughest part is paying your expenses while waiting for approval.

Having said that I see 2 new shops in Jackson and one in Ocean co. in the last few months.

And dealing with the local municipality for the zoning ordinances..gotta play nice with the locals.. cuz once they want you out, it makes your life miserable