Grapeshot

Independence Day

If you're looking for something fun and patriotic to do on July 4th, consider coming to Washington Crossing Park (PA side) https://www.washingtoncrossingpark.org/ and learn a little history. We'll be reading the Declaration of Independence (4 times!), have a military encampment, firing cannon, and generally celebrating what makes this nation great. Our schedule is:

12:30 Declaration Reading 
1:00 Cannon
1:30 Declaration Reading  
2:00 Cannon
2:30 Declaration Reading 
2:45 Lecture on Ten Crucial Days in Auditorium (20 minutes)
3:30 Declaration Reading 

I'll be commanding cannon fire. We'll field our 4 pounder, which makes a lot of noise (5 ounces of 1F powder!). 

Stop by and introduce yourself! I'll be the tall guy hanging out with the cannon crew and telling you everything you wanted to know about 18th C artillery but were afraid to ask. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative 1

45 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

I hate when people call it ‘July 4th’….it’s Independence Day! 

I have frequently ignored that fact. Your point is well taken.

Since our 'independence' is now clearly at risk, I shall make it a point to refer to it as that from here on.

Thanks Tex! Have a good one!

• Like 1

For the "ruling class" that now permanently occupies D.C., the ideal American would have no idea why 1776 is important to world history, no appreciation for the cause of liberty, and no recollection of the American heroes who fill our past.  America's founding would be falsely understood as a nonsensical revolution of slaveholders and conquerors who sought to overthrow an empire only to advance imperialism.  America's story would be fraudulently told as one of endless oppression devoid of meaning.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.  This is a land populated with the descendants of those who risked everything — time and again — to be free.  Our ancestors crossed oceans to escape religious persecution.  They endured periods of famine and disease to build societies beyond the reach of European lords.  They trekked out into the wilderness of an unknown world to flee the Old World's economic chains.  They preached self-reliance and charity.  They embraced hard work, faith, and adventure.  They built communities committed to self-reflection and self-government.  They rejected entrenched aristocracies and empowered common men.  They lit a spark for liberty that has never completely dimmed.  The real story of America is one in which tyranny is repudiated and unjust governments are unwelcome.

The rest is worth reading. And remembering.

Sorry, DC — Too Many Americans Remember - American Thinker

• Like 2