sroc112

Summary for current CCP requirements?

Is there a link to any simple summary of all the exact current requirements for obtaining your CCW permit in NJ? The main threads here have become quite lengthy and I know some things have changed since the law was updated. Would like a quick reference to some type of list of exactly all the steps involved and updates. Even some of the state website I feel do not do a great job at outlining everything.

On 11/12/2023 at 7:28 PM, sroc112 said:

That is most up to date, correct? 

Yes

It's pretty simple - Do the qualifier w/ Use of Force "class" (powerpoint) and apply via FARS.  Get fingerprints done at Identogo. (not needed if you're on file for SBI already). pay fees... 

Edited by Krdshrk
Updated
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 124gr9mm said:

I think they got rid of that requirement.

If you have been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, then you don't need to do it again. However, if the SBI does not have electronic fingerprints on file, you need to get them done.

• Like 1

As far as total cost associated with going through the CCW application process as it stands today, from my understanding there is the fee to the state of NJ for the application (what is that now up to?) Plus the fee for whatever location you're going to do the live fire course (on estimate, how much?) And is that it? 

Trying to total up the expected cost all in to go through the motions if I were to start the process now.

Thanks

$200 for the government ($150 goes to your local PD, and $50 goes to NJSP) and whatever your local training center or instructor charges. Gun For Hire in Woodland Park charged me $275 (with tax, $285). So, for me, will be $475 every two years (but I'm sure the cost will continue to go up).

2 hours ago, sroc112 said:

Ah I see so every 2 years you have to go through the same process

When you renew, you must have done the CCARE qual and use of force class within the previous 2 years. Foe anyone that got their permit before CCARE was published and had to do it again, the certificate they got on re-qual should still be good for the renewal as their permit will expire before the 2 years is up.

not just a renewal with lower fee?

Ha ha ha ha ha - New Jersey says NO!

Anyone have experience using a different instructor with lower fees?

There are quite a lot of us that are running quals for less than the premium charged by the luxury ranges. Shop around. Any NRA or USCCA instructor's signature is sufficient.

On 11/12/2023 at 8:01 PM, Krdshrk said:

Yes

It's pretty simple - Do the qualifier w/ Use of Force "class" (powerpoint) and apply via FARS.  Get fingerprints done at Identogo. (not needed if you're on file for SBI already). pay fees... 

You forgot.....And then wait forever!

On 2/26/2024 at 1:09 PM, Mr.Stu said:

When you renew, you must have done the CCARE qual and use of force class within the previous 2 years. Foe anyone that got their permit before CCARE was published and had to do it again, the certificate they got on re-qual should still be good for the renewal as their permit will expire before the 2 years is up.

Ha ha ha ha ha - New Jersey says NO!

There are quite a lot of us that are running quals for less than the premium charged by the luxury ranges. Shop around. Any NRA or USCCA instructor's signature is sufficient.

Can anyone share some recommendation of places they have used or know of? GFH is $275 for non members, really looking to keep it under that if possible. 

41 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

Can anyone share some recommendation of places they have used or know of? GFH is $275 for non members, really looking to keep it under that if possible. 

If you're willing to take a trip to Phillipsburg, I can do it for you for $150.

28 minutes ago, sroc112 said:

Just drove past Phillipsburg yesterday actually, not all that far.

What is the name and location of your site?

I just do quals as an occasional side gig. Email me at [email protected] to set up a date.

The class would be held at Phillipsburg Pistol Club. https://maps.app.goo.gl/MZLu4FB7Te7QafNQ8

On 2/26/2024 at 9:38 AM, RWL62 said:

$200 for the government ($150 goes to your local PD, and $50 goes to NJSP) and whatever your local training center or instructor charges. Gun For Hire in Woodland Park charged me $275 (with tax, $285). So, for me, will be $475 every two years (but I'm sure the cost will continue to go up).

IF you do not have a local PD, presumably the entire $200 larcenous fee goes to NJSP.

On 11/13/2023 at 9:53 AM, Mr.Stu said:

If you have been fingerprinted before for firearms purposes, then you don't need to do it again. However, if the SBI does not have electronic fingerprints on file, you need to get them done.

That's good to know. For me, Identogo was a royal PITA, NTM more money spent.