Sign in to follow this  
n4p226r

buying ammo out of state

im from northern new jersey. so it isnt a long drive to get to NY, CONN, or PA to buy stuff. what is the legality to buying ammo from NY. I have read different things. This past week i went to cabelas in PA and had no trouble but im wondering about NY. Also, does walmart in NY carry ammo?

My wife calls the WalMart in Milford, PA a couple of times a week, usually before 7:30AM. They start unpacking the day's shipment of ammo around then. If they have anything we want, she drives up there at once. They're usually out of the popular stuff by 10:00. Other MalMarts in PA have different stocking schedules. Some unpack at night for the next day.

Always best to call, it's pretty much hit or miss.

I've also heard the WalMart in Suffern, NY has ammo, but I've never been there.

You can buy ammo anywhere and bring it back to NJ as long as it's legal to own here. Some individual stores may have specific policies, but that's just them. No tracers or armor piercing or depleted uranium or incendiary or any of that exotic limited use stuff. Hollow points are just fine to possess, transport, shoot at the range or keep in your HD gun. Just don't put them in a carry gun or commit a crime with them.

Edit to add;

Welcome to the group. Where do you shoot, and what?

You can buy ammo anywhere and bring it back to NJ as long as it's legal to own here. Some individual stores may have specific policies, but that's just them. No tracers or armor piercing or depleted uranium or incendiary or any of that exotic limited use stuff. Hollow points are just fine to possess, transport, shoot at the range or keep in your HD gun. Just don't put them in a carry gun or commit a crime with them.

+1

Oh and Ken, I recall you mentioning some place that had some pretty good pricing when they had stock. I forgot the name.

I always wondered why they never put a cabosh on this due to lost tax revenue.

I've heard that if you get caught with *too much alcohol or cigarettes* purchased out of state, they'll bust you for tax reasons.

I'm surprised States haven't pushed for tax stamps on certain firearms related items. Every State would have a surplus of money.

It's the only case I can think of where Government turns down cash.

There are 2 shops in Brodheadsville, I think one of them is American Shooting Sports, right on 209 South. The other is Weaver's Firearms, just off 209. Make a right at the light just after the first store, and Weaver's is on the right about 1/3 mile or so. Not WalMart pricing, but better than NJ. Maybe not better enough for a special trip, but if you're in the neighborhood...

Interesting contrast between the two shops. If anyone visits them, you'll see what I mean.

K

thanks for the info guys. im new to the forum, and new to firearms in general. i got my first 2 pistols this month. only went to bullethole in belleville once to shoot the first one. i plan on joining cherry ridge range as its about a 30 min drive from my house and i like the open air more than an indoor range.

as for what i bought for my first.

first gun. sig sauer p226 9mm

2nd gun. sig sauer p229 classic 22 (22lr)

i live real close to suffern ny and my wife works in mahwah nj so hopefully i can pick up some target rounds there.

i plan on joining cherry ridge range as its about a 30 min drive from my house and i like the open air more than an indoor range.

You need to get in on this. Should be a lot of fun.

http://www.njgunforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2024

No tracers or armor piercing or depleted uranium or incendiary or any of that exotic limited use stuff.

With the exception of armor piercing handgun rounds, I thought anything else was ok? J&G Sales will send tracers direct to your door, and they are known for being extra careful. They won't ship a belt of .308 to NJ.

NJSA 2C:58-10. Incendiary or tracer ammunition

No incendiary or tracer type ammunition shall be discharged anywhere in this State except for law enforcement purposes by law enforcement officers in the course of their official duties or by members of legally recognized military organizations during the actual course of their official duties in or upon military establishments or ranges constructed or maintained for such purposes. Nonincendiary shotgun tracer ammunition may, however, be used on a trap or skeet field for target purposes. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the carrying or possession for distress signal purposes of a visual distress signalling device approved by the United States Coast Guard aboard a private or commercial aircraft or any boat.

http://www.tickethelpline.com/lawyer-attorney-1118160.html

Humm.. well they take the fun out of everything.

But it does say discharge.. which would lead me to believe that you can still possess it?

Okay, but I wouldn't want them to find any in my house.

well that was easy. went to suffern ny walmart and got 6 boxes of federal 9mm luger for $9 each and some mini-mag hp for $6 and change. they had 10 boxes of mini mag left, a ton of 9mm, a few boxes of 40s&w and no .45

Good score. :o

well that was easy. went to suffern ny walmart and got 6 boxes of federal 9mm luger for $9 each and some mini-mag hp for $6 and change. they had 10 boxes of mini mag left, a ton of 9mm, a few boxes of 40s&w and no .45

Nicely done.

Nine of the NJ WalMarts (or any other big box/discount store) sell guns or ammo. You only have that kind of convenience when you shop in America.

Nine of the NJ WalMarts (or any other big box/discount store) sell guns or ammo. You only have that kind of convenience when you shop in America.

Ken, Spelling error? Nine or None? If nine... which nine are these?

My bad. Should be "none". I can only blame the early hour (5:14AM), bleary eyes and a laptop in the dark. Forgive any confusion I may have caused.

Completely off topic, but when I got on the board at 4:51 this morning, it looked like there were 13 users logged in. Damn! It's like a morning fix for some people. I thought I was the only one.

I get ammo in PA at walmart and some mom and pop gun stores. I get blazer brass 9mm for $8.97 per 50 at walmart. And I have found federal .45 for as low as $10 per 50 in pa. BUT, just remember the shortage is not just in NJ. PA has the same in stock issues. I would definitley call before you take the trip. But even if you figure in gas and tolls (depending on how far you are from PA) and are planning on getting a decent ammount of ammo, I think it pays to get it in PA.

I get ammo in PA at walmart and some mom and pop gun stores. I get blazer brass 9mm for $8.97 per 50 at walmart. And I have found federal .45 for as low as $10 per 50 in pa. BUT, just remember the shortage is not just in NJ. PA has the same in stock issues. I would definitley call before you take the trip. But even if you figure in gas and tolls (depending on how far you are from PA) and are planning on getting a decent ammount of ammo, I think it pays to get it in PA.

I picked up 200 12 ga shells in Easton PA yesterday, they had one 50 rd box of 45 acp WWB, no other pistol ammo, some rifle ammo, a few small boxes of 22lr.

can you order ammo online? is it legal? do you need any information such as your registration, state card, or permit info? would that be a better avenue to go instead of driving to PA?

Yes

Yes

Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on the shop. Some won't ship to NJ, some will with a faxed copy of your FID, some don't care.

Depends on the pricing. Nobody is as cheap as WalMart for range ammo