Sign in to follow this  
Lublin

Henry Survival Rifle

I have the silver model (just because I like that it says U.S. Survival on it) lol, very cool little survival toy. Fits great in a back pack. Not the best quality, but it is what it is. Its lightweight, floats, and comes apart. Inexpensive to boot.

.22's are choice for lots of survival nuts because in the woods, you are most likely to shoot small game for food, a 12 gauge or other shotgun / rifle would blow the small game apart not leaving much to harvest. Also, in the space of maybe 10 shotgun shells you can fit 500 rounds of .22lr.

In that pic it looks like they are only showing one mag, mine came with two, you can store the reciever in the stock with the magazine inserted, also has a slot for the spare mag in the stock.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/h002_survival.cfm

Under $300 OTD, cant beat it.

I almost bought one of those on one of my ammo runs in PA a couple of months ago. The shop had them for $249. .22LR and the whole thing breaks down into the stock and takes less than a minute to assemble. I think the model is AR-7. Comes in synth black, silver and camo flavors. I think it's been around a long time. I seem to remember someone selling "survival rifles" when I was a kid. I would look at it again if there was room to store the guts with a mounted scope, but I don't think there's any way to do that. It's pretty tight in there.

I was considering adding this to my collection as a SHTF survival type rifle. Any comments on how it operates? I'm not familiar with .22s at all, so things like durability/reliability and accuracy are unbeknown to me. I would check online, but I don't trust that information out here; I do trust the info from here... so, any comments on it? If I did get it, it wouldn't be a plinker for me, nor would it be a primary. Just a backup, and a means to an end (hunting small game if necessary, or a contingency to the contingency). I do have a black rifle, and will probably be getting a DMS-1 scope for it, any opinions on what optics would work well on the Henry Survival?

The action is pretty simple. It's just blow-back and theres two little recoil springs in there. Not much of a feed ramp on it due to the way it was designed. The instructions say it likes "high velocity ammo". The one I had LOVED CCI Stingers. Some of the bulk pack stuff started to get a little picky once the gun got dirty. It likes the extra energy from the Higher Power loads.

Like chad said, you can put a scope on it with the dovetail mounts, but then, it does not fit into the stock any longer. Any halfway decent 4x scope would be fine for it. I kind of like it's "peep" sights.. more than adequate to take a squirrel or something like that at 25 yards.

As a small easy to pack and carry gun, its not bad at all. You can easily pack the gun and a brick of .22s and be able to hunt all the squirrel and small game in the wilderness after the zombie apocalypse, or just for a weekend of camping. Its easy to assemble, but not so much if you needed it right now....It does float, so it would be hard to lose in a tragic boating accident. Some of them are difficult to get out of the buttstock..Some just slide right out, but Ive seen quite a few that are kinda tight. I like the gun a lot, and luckily havent had any problems with mine. The sights are very basic and probably not the best. I think they might sell an aftermarket scope mount.

I was considering adding this to my collection as a SHTF survival type rifle. Any comments on how it operates? I'm not familiar with .22s at all, so things like durability/reliability and accuracy are unbeknown to me. I would check online, but I don't trust that information out here; I do trust the info from here... so, any comments on it? If I did get it, it wouldn't be a plinker for me, nor would it be a primary. Just a backup, and a means to an end (hunting small game if necessary, or a contingency to the contingency). I do have a black rifle, and will probably be getting a DMS-1 scope for it, any opinions on what optics would work well on the Henry Survival?

Dude...you NEEEEEED a .22 ! lol In all seriousness tho, .22lr's are by far (for me anyway) the funnest, most inexpensive to shoot, accurate guns made. What other caliber can you shoot 500 rounds for $20. Also, you can shoot 500 rounds and not be sore, or fatigued. The .22 has VERY little recoil, almost like shooting a bb gun...it barely moves.

For urban survival I would not recomend a 22 for protection although people do. For wilderness survival its perfect for harvesting small game (squirrel, birds, etc.) which would be what most people will be after in that situation.

As for the Henry, like you said, I would not make it your primary gun by any means. It is good if you are going backpacking, hiking, camping etc. Its size and other features make it ideal for that type of situation imo.

In a SHTF situation, I would want something with alot more knockdown power than a .22 even if you are in the woods to handle big game who looks at you like you are small game! Also, the 2 legged kind. But, I would take the .22 along also as a small game hunter.

You should look into a marlin or ruger 10/22 semi-auto .22lr as a primary 22 plinker. They are a blast to shoot, a .22 rifle is as american as apple pie.

Dude...you NEEEEEED a .22 ! lol In all seriousness tho, .22lr's are by far (for me anyway) the funnest, most inexpensive to shoot, accurate guns made. What other caliber can you shoot 500 rounds for $20. Also, you can shoot 500 rounds and not be sore, or fatigued. The .22 has VERY little recoil, almost like shooting a bb gun...it barely moves.

+1. Everyone needs a .22LR firearm. It should be a law.

Some of the guys have seen my .22 beater. I wouldn't part with it (sentimental value notwithstanding) for anything. Huge fun and easy on the wallet and the body. I'll probably get something more contemporary just so the laughter stops.

I just this afternoon bought one of these at Cheyenne Mountain. $205, plus their $15 nics fee. It's much smaller than I thought it would be. They only had the silver version, and unlike the previous poster I don't really like the "US Survival" written on it in blue "stencil" font, paint, so maybe I'll have some fun and paint it camo or something.

Wow...good price. I never really looked at the us survival itself, is it a sticker? Maybe it can just peel off? A custom camo paint job would look pretty sweet on that thing! I'd just be afraid of putting it in and out of the stock it would get scratched real bad and look like crap after a while.

A custom camo paint job would look pretty sweet on that thing! I'd just be afraid of putting it in and out of the stock it would get scratched real bad and look like crap after a while.

Yes, but a $205 rifle is probably a good place to try it!

Damn straight!

Thanks for the info, Chad. Like I said, I already have an AR15 (and prefer it over any other firearm I own), but for the reasons you listed, along with my own, I definitely do want a .22LR. At this point I guess I'll do a bit more research and make a decision from there. The ability to break the Henry Survival down, and stow it is just awesome to me. However, I guess if I really needed something more dependable, there are far more superior rifles out there.

I'll stop by Cheyenne when I get back from my short vacation, and/or hassle one of you to bring a .22 to the next Tuesday outing after I get back.

I have a Savage Mark II BTVS

http://www.savagearms.com/markiibtvs.htm

which I purchased at Bullethole for around $250 or $300, if I recall correctly. I also purchased an inexpensive Nikon scope for it.

At 50 yards, I can put as many bullets through the same hole as you'd like me to, over and over again. We put a coke can upside down on a stick at the 50 yard line, and we can punch out the middle of the "o" in Coke, and keeping putting them through there.

I don't expect the Henry survival to be quite that good....

On the other hand, it is really small and light, and I suspect my 10 year old son will enjoy shooting it. The Savage is a little heavy for offhand shooting, although he is an ace with it on the benchrest.

I thought about one of these a while back, but when I picked it up, it felt chinsy. The pistol grip on the stock was way to fat, really hard to open the door where you store the components, and the sights were cheap. Go with a 10/22 Ruger. For an extra 80 bucks or so, you have a real rifle that you can make your own. I'm saying this even though I own a Henry 22lr lever gun. Which is a totally different firearm.