Scottcba1

Possible shotgun addition

I am thinking of adding another shotgun to my collection but am not sure about the laws. I thought I saw somewhere that pistol grip shotguns are illegal, is this true?

I really like the look of something like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =138751460

I wonder how something like this handles. Your opinions please.

-Scott

I am thinking of adding another shotgun to my collection but am not sure about the laws. I thought I saw somewhere that pistol grip shotguns are illegal, is this true?

I really like the look of something like this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =138751460

I wonder how something like this handles. Your opinions please.

-Scott

In my opinion, its a complete waste of money

Its hollywood, not practical

YOur probably right Tiny.... I am kind of thinking it would handle pretty poorly but it does have a mean look to it.

You know if it is NJ compliant or not?

-Scott

it definitely is mean looking, and if thats what you want it for, then ok. If you want it for HD, there are much better choices in my very humble opinion

Thanks guys!

Now, anyone have any experience handling anything like this? How does it handle?

-Scott

My son had his 500 set up like that for a while. He tried to push some slugs through it at 50 yds. and couldn't even come close, and it beat the crap out of his wrist. He went back to a regular stock after that.

My son had his 500 set up like that for a while. He tried to push some slugs through it at 50 yds. and couldn't even come close, and it beat the crap out of his wrist. He went back to a regular stock after that.

Thats kind of what I was thinking...rought on the wrists and poor at any kind of distance. Like Tiny said probably more for show then any kind of practical use.

Thanks for the info!

-Scott

I appreciate your opinion tiny. I saw you decided to go with the 460, when will TJs have it for you? I say Tony and Tom this week when I picked up a new magazine for my Ruger and they mentioned you were ordering ammo already.

-Scott

I dunno on the 460 yet. its a big commitment. Ammo is expensive, and If Im only shooting this thing 30 rounds a month (or less) is it really worth it?

I ordered 5.7 X 28 though. 2000 rounds. I LOVE that gun

Come to Brick Tuesday and we can talk shotguns more if you want. its currently my favorite gun

Don't forget, you can also get a pistol grip WITH a stock. I have that on my 870 Tactical

That's what I have and recommend. Although for close quarters a stock-less shotgun isn't a bad option. It's easier to manuver and easier to hide it in the house.

Don't forget, you can also get a pistol grip WITH a stock. I have that on my 870 Tactical

That's what I have and recommend. Although for close quarters a stock-less shotgun isn't a bad option. It's easier to manuver and easier to hide it in the house.

But harder to control....

Not really. How many shots do you plan on putting down range. A fully loaded pistol grip shotgun (5 or 6 +1) is all you need. Your not going to the range to shot 20 or 30 rounds. You only need to control the rounds in the gun, and in the heat of the moment you won't even feel or hear the gun.

Low brass bird shot very easy to control,a couple of those to the snot box and the bad guy will stop :lol:

I would not trust bird shot in a situation where I was protecting my family

Birdshot is my backup, 00 magnum Buck is my main defense round

What's the difference between standard buck and magnum buck? I ask because my co-worker just bought a box of winchester magnum buck and standard buck.

I would not trust bird shot in a situation where I was protecting my family

Birdshot is my backup, 00 magnum Buck is my main defense round

What's the difference between standard buck and magnum buck? I ask because my co-worker just bought a box of winchester magnum buck and standard buck.

I THINK

Magnum buck is 3" and regular is the 2 3/4, so more powda!

tinyboy, I don't think so.

Both rounds were 2 3/4 in shells.

Well that's the definition, I checked. magnum is 3 inches. I knew that answer cause its 1 inch bigger than my.....well another time on another board for that

they say 3-4 more pellets and more powder

Okay, I'll take your word for it.

That pistol grip setup is exactly what i use for HD, followed by my SA XD .45, G19 and G26 at various locations..I very much prefer the pistol grip for the house versus a stock...much much easier to move around and my biggest room is 25' by 35'...NO PROBLEM AT ALL..WRECK EVERYTHING :-)

LMFAO!

Just my opinion, but, magnum rounds for HD aren't necessary. A good low recoil 2 3/4" 00 buck round with 8-9 pellets is more than enough. The extra pellets in a magnum shell just mean you have more things to worry about flying around your house. Regardless of what rounds you choose, make sure to pattern YOUR shotgun with the rounds you choose to use. Not all 00 is the same.