Mauser88

Rainy Day Reloading

Too wet to shoot outside today so I spent the day watching a few DVD's and did some reloading to pass the time. I had nothing to do and all day to do it.

1000 rounds of 230 grain Lead round nose .45ACP.

$66.00 per 1000 for the bullets.

$30.00 per 1000 for the primers

$15.00 for appx. 3/4 lb of Unique powder.

Total cost of $111.00 or .11 a round.

Can't beat that folks!!!

MVC-025L.jpg

WOW! how long did it take you to do all 1000rds? Nice pic btw! 8-)

-Scott

Total time was appx. 6 hours. All done on a RCBS single stage rock chucker.

Time well spent. I need to think seriously about making to jump into reloading. Maybe over the winter.

WOW! how long did it take you to do all 1000rds? Nice pic btw! 8-)

-Scott

Total time was appx. 6 hours. All done on a RCBS single stage rock chucker.

Time well spent. I need to think seriously about making to jump into reloading. Maybe over the winter.

I'll be happy to teach you Ken. Whenever your ready.

very nice mauser, very nice indeed

side note, you wouldn't have any 1911's in the 4-1/4 barrel length and 8inch overall variety would you??

The closest I have is a 4" SA XD45. The OAL is 7"

oyyyyy, you wouldn't happen to be going to the clay shoot next week on sunday would you??? If so, would you mind bringing it. I'm trying to decide on whether to buy a commander size 1911 or a full size and if I like the way a commander size shoots I'd rather buy that than the full size b/c it will see some light duty carry work but I'm going to use it primarily for range shooting so having the full size will be nice.

Gahhh i hate decisions

I'll be happy to teach you Ken. Whenever your ready.

That's a very kind offer. Thank you. When I finally decide to get into reloading, I'll definitely take you up on it.

K

very nice mauser, very nice indeed

side note, you wouldn't have any 1911's in the 4-1/4 barrel length and 8inch overall variety would you??

The closest I have is a 4" SA XD45. The OAL is 7"

oyyyyy, you wouldn't happen to be going to the clay shoot next week on sunday would you??? If so, would you mind bringing it. I'm trying to decide on whether to buy a commander size 1911 or a full size and if I like the way a commander size shoots I'd rather buy that than the full size b/c it will see some light duty carry work but I'm going to use it primarily for range shooting so having the full size will be nice.

Gahhh i hate decisions

The 1911 on the left in the pic is an Officers model and the blued 1911 is a Commander. I have a full size too.

I'm going to the range tomorrow morning if you want to tag along.

If not I should probably be there next Sunday too.

Mauser, have you ever thought about going progressive or is it not that big of a deal to you?

how much time gets cut off if you go to a progressive instead of single?

It depends on the loader. I can get 250-300 rds/hr. The issue is when there is a hiccup, you have to stop the process and fix the issue. With a single stage you control every part of every stage each step of the way. I have had primers in backwards or small primer pockets when loading 45. It is easy to get complacent. I still load all my rifle on a single stage. I know a few people who will load on nothing except a single stage and vice versa. It all comes down to personal preference.

Mauser, have you ever thought about going progressive or is it not that big of a deal to you?

how much time gets cut off if you go to a progressive instead of single?

It depends on the loader. I can get 250-300 rds/hr. The issue is when there is a hiccup, you have to stop the process and fix the issue. With a single stage you control every part of every stage each step of the way. I have had primers in backwards or small primer pockets when loading 45. It is easy to get complacent. I still load all my rifle on a single stage. I know a few people who will load on nothing except a single stage and vice versa. It all comes down to personal preference.

Exactly. If you new to reloading the single stage press is the way to go. When your comfortable you can always go progressive.

I can load 50 rounds of .45ACP on my single stage in 20 minutes start to finish. I think that's pretty fast or should I say fast enough for me.

The 1911 on the left in the pic is an Officers model and the blued 1911 is a Commander. I have a full size too.

Whats the size on that officer model. It looks quite small?

Whats the size on that officer model. It looks quite small?

OAL from rear of hammer to front end of barrel is 6 1/2"

Nice! I have a single stage and all the crap I need. I even have adequate supplies for 9mm and 45.. but I have no time. The GF keeps me busy doing stupid **** like going to the mall.

Maybe in 20 years she'll leave me alone longer than 5 minutes.

\

When your ready I'm ready. I'm married for the last 33 years!!!

Nice! I have a single stage and all the crap I need. I even have adequate supplies for 9mm and 45.. but I have no time. The GF keeps me busy doing stupid **** like going to the mall.

Maybe in 20 years she'll leave me alone longer than 5 minutes.

\

When your ready I'm ready. I'm married for the last 33 years!!!

I've loaded and shot, probably 200 rounds of .38's.. i still have all my fingers :lol: I was really surprised at how much more accurate my reloads were compared to factory.. at least 50%..

I read the lee reloading manual pretty much cover to cover (skipped the stuff on casting bullets for now).. probably time to re-read that and give er another whirl. :lol:

But if I have any questions, I'll be sure to hit you up!

I'm also using a RCBS Rock Chucker, it's an excellent press. I like to do batch processing. I have the brass cleaned and loaded with primers. When I'm ready, I just pull out the primed cases, load with powder, seat the bullet and crimp. Reloading is awesome!

I think your way off Doc, Any one of my Dillon 1050's are accurate to within 2 tenths of a grain. We are constantly chronod. On my loads my ES is usually about 23 fps. That is not bad for a unit that can load 1800 rounds a hour.

With the Kiss bullet feeder the only thing I do is monitor it for low primer and powder alarms and keep it filled up

Doc, I agree with Kal , I turn out some very accurate rounds on my SDB's. I have loaded handgun on both and when I use a single I do it by batches as well. But you can not tell the difference in accuracy between the single and progressive. It is all what you are comfortable with.