Maksim

Multi Monitor Setups

Anyone else use one?

For the office, just went from a 17 inch laptop, to a dual 19 inch. wide lcd desktop.

Wow. what an eye opener. And a heck of a lot more productive.

At work (not my property), I have a 17" LCD next to a 17" CRT.. I prefer my 24" inch at home as the CRT isn't really useful for anything other than email or an occasional document that is just for reference.

Now.. If I had two 24's.. or w 30's.. that would be sweet.

I have two 20s on my desk at work. Love it. I keep my work email on the left on and when I'm coding, I have all my docks and toolbars and such there too. It really cleans up the IDE.

At home it's just a single 22 inch.

2-20" at work. Usually have Photoshop open on one, and either Dreamweaver or InDesign on the other when I'm actually working and not spending hours of productive time here.

UltraMon is cool. And useful.

attaching mine before heading out.

I also use a laptop if need more pc. =)

It is really alot more productive.

I am starting to either keep a crm open, with outlook, or ie on one, and opera on the other. excel and such.

earlier, I was watching boiler room on one pc and was working with ACt! on the other.

crappy pic courtesy of my Treo.

at are dispatching center we went front 1 big monitor. now we have 4 connected. The first two show where all our officers are, and the other two are for check ups and 911. So far its awesome.

I was against dual monitors for the longest time. I always found the mouse going from one screen to other to be confusing... no idea why. Then a project came up at work where it would've been really helpful to have something up on one screen for reference while I worked on the other screen. Set up 2 17s and installed Utramon, and now I can't ever go back to one screen. To say it makes me more efficient is an understatement.

And as an added benefit, I can leave outlook open on one screen while I'm play CoD4 on the other screen on the days where it's slow :lol:

I have been using 2 monitors for years. Started out as a 19'' lcd & a widescreen 17'' lcd pc/tv monitor. I had satelite TV wired to the 17. When I wasnt watching tv on it is was just a 2nd pc monitor.

For the last 5 years I have a 20'' lcd & a 18'' lcd with a dual video card & ultramon. At home and the office. Would never go back using one monitor after 10 plus years with 2.

Use a track ball. Better to manipulate the 2 screens then a mouse.

file0022.jpg

BEHOLD MY AWESOME POWA!! :mrgreen:

This is actually a really old pic from work going back a year ago. This is a 3 computer setup: my Windows desktop with dual monitors, my old 17" laptop, and a MacMini. Linked them all together using a program called Synergy2 that would share the keyboard & mouse between all 3 machines. Yes, while I had this setup I was "that guy." :lol:

what were you doing that you needed them all? =)

I provide technical support for an application that runs on Windows, OSX, and Linux which relies on 3D graphics hardware to run. Even though the MacMini's 3D capabilities are craptastic, it was enough to run the app. I have to be able to reproduce the problem and aid our users in finding a solution for any problem they have regardless of their OS.