Ruger11

Dicks Sporting Goods, guns???

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Dick's Sporting Good's $499.00 REMINGTON 11-87 SPORTSMAN 12 gauge(after $50 Dicks rebate,and $50 Remington rebate) and a $650.00 REMINGTON 11-87 SPORTSMAN 12 gauge at the local dealer, after a $50 Remington rebate?? Besides the obvious $150.00 price difference? They both look and feel the same to me.

Can anyone tell me the difference between a Dick's Sporting Good's $499.00 REMINGTON 11-87 SPORTSMAN 12 gauge(after $50 Dicks rebate,and $50 Remington rebate) and a $650.00 REMINGTON 11-87 SPORTSMAN 12 gauge at the local dealer, after a $50 Remington rebate?? Besides the obvious $150.00 price difference? They both look and feel the same to me.

Hello! I can't answer you for sure.. but it is my hypothesis.. that dick's sporting goods cuts special deals with the manufacturer's to make special edition guns that are only available at dick's. usually it's cutting corners on the fit and finish.. stocks for example. All in all. it's generally a win for us... but.. dick's does require one or two forms which are not legally required.

If it's a big savings.. i say go for it!

I agree, I think it s buying power. Their buyers go to the manufacturers and get them to cut a deal on an item if they order a bulk amount. I got my 870 there last month on sale and it was a great deal and from what I can tell from looking at the box and gun, it is no different from anyone else's 870 Express. Heck, the salesman was so nice (at the new Dick's in Manahawkin) he even walked me to the door :dance:

Dick's walks every gun to the register. You just had a NICS check but we don't trust you with the gun. :roll: And everything is magically safe once you are out the door.

My only beef is you can't try the trigger they don't remove the lock till you have bought the gun.

Yeah, that was a "little tongue in cheek", I had heard about the "walk of shame" before I had gone there. But, overall the whole procedure seemed painless and fairly fast. That whole "go pay for your NIC check, then come back and buy the gun" was a little strange but I can understand why they are doing it.

Dick's walks every gun to the register. You just had a NICS check but we don't trust you with the gun. :roll: And everything is magically safe once you are out the door.

My only beef is you can't try the trigger they don't remove the lock till you have bought the gun.

I wanted to look at a mossberg shotgun a few weeks ago and i had to give the guy:

my firearms ID card

drivers license

and I couldn't look at it in the front of the cabinet, we had to move off to the side, I guess since noone would think that I was a robber. Keep in mind I was the only guy there.

I believe it's simply buying power. Imagine that you sell something and a small retailer asks you for 10 of that item, you extend him a small discount, better than if he just buys one. Now, a national buyer for a large retailers asks you for 1000 of that same item, you extend him a larger discount because it means you keep your people employed, can put that order in now, and guarantee the 'home office' a large sale.

I'm pretty sure that's just so no stupid soccer mom sees a gun box and freaks out in the middle of the store. I could imagine it happening, so they have a good way to just make other customers feel more comfortable, I don't mind it.

I've bought a Remington 870 Express, Remington 870 Tactical, and Browning Citori O/U shotgun, and a Remington 700 .223 Rifle from Dick's, all are great, never had any problems whatsoever and my two long shotguns see the clay range at least once a month.

Plus, I love getting the gift cards in the mail the next month. I just got a $20 Dick's dollars coupon good for anything in their store yesterday. Going to get some free 9mm with it after work today.

Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely HATE buying guns at dick's. I've only bought two there, but both of the purchases turned into 2 hours at the store waiting for everything to get filled out. They're always nice enough, and treat me well, but, really? 2 hours to fill out paperwork? Hell, during the first one, the guy that was helping me spent like 20 minutes walking around the store trying to find the stamp so he wouldn't have to write out the FFL info... :roll:

Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely HATE buying guns at dick's. I've only bought two there, but both of the purchases turned into 2 hours at the store waiting for everything to get filled out. They're always nice enough, and treat me well, but, really? 2 hours to fill out paperwork? Hell, during the first one, the guy that was helping me spent like 20 minutes walking around the store trying to find the stamp so he wouldn't have to write out the FFL info... :roll:

Ummmm yeah. I have had VERY similar experiences...their prices are good, but I can't stand the aggrivation I have to go thru. They have that "are you serious" look when you tell them you'd like to buy a gun. Then they run around like a squirrel in the middle of the road trying to find everything, call the manager over to look over all the paperwork, etc.

I can't speak for Dick's, but I know that manufacturers make slightly lower-end electronics for big box stores like Costco and Price Club. You get there and see the TV you want for much less than anywhere else you've looked, but the model number is just a little bit different than the one you want (i.e. like an extra digit at the end or two digits in reverse order). Unfortunately, this version is missing some feature or has some lesser quality component that allows the store to sell it at a "miraculously lower" price. It is really just classic bait-and-switch, and I consider it to be fairly underhanded. I will not buy a TV or major home appliance at a big box store unless I am very sure I am getting just what I am looking for.

Does Dicks do the same thing with rifles? I have no idea.

Now Back to your regularly scheduled program...

They do to some degree - the Stoeger I bought from them a few weeks ago is basically a Stoeger Condor but they call it the STF3000. Not sure what the difference between the two is. But for my intended purposes, it didn't really matter, so I went for it.

They do to some degree - the Stoeger I bought from them a few weeks ago is basically a Stoeger Condor but they call it the STF3000. Not sure what the difference between the two is. But for my intended purposes, it didn't really matter, so I went for it.

I've heard the same thing for years about tools and plumbing fixtures at home depot. In my experience, this is BS. No mfr worth their salt will cheapen their product AND leave their name intact just to sell to big box retail. The mfr's may however do a private label deal where the brand name is completely replaced and the quality is lower (think Sears brand whether it's tools or guns or whatnot).

I've heard the same thing for years about tools and plumbing fixtures at home depot. In my experience, this is BS. No mfr worth their salt will cheapen their product AND leave their name intact just to sell to big box retail. The mfr's may however do a private label deal where the brand name is completely replaced and the quality is lower (think Sears brand whether it's tools or guns or whatnot).

I learned first hand about this practice at Costco. I had been looking for a big screen TV and knew the exact model I was looking for. A friend belonged to Costco and told me they had just what I was looking for. Visually it was identical in size and form to what I wanted. The model number was just a bit different. I went home and went to the manufacturer's web site, and the model number did not show up. I figured that maybe it was a prior year's model number, so I googled it. I was instantly awash in a s***storm of posts explaining why not to get the model I saw. It was a special version just for certain retailers. There were several fetaures missing or downgraded from the model I really wanted (most of which I don't remember now). One of them had to do with a substandard picture-in-picture tuner.

While this may not always be the case, it certainly does not hurt to look at the fine print when buying at one of these chains.

I learned first hand about this practice at Costco. I had been looking for a big screen TV and knew the exact model I was looking for. A friend belonged to Costco and told me they had just what I was looking for. Visually it was identical in size and form to what I wanted. The model number was just a bit different. I went home and went to the manufacturer's web site, and the model number did not show up. I figured that maybe it was a prior year's model number, so I googled it. I was instantly awash in a s***storm of posts explaining why not to get the model I saw. It was a special version just for certain retailers. There were several fetaures missing or downgraded from the model I really wanted (most of which I don't remember now). One of them had to do with a substandard picture-in-picture tuner.

While this may not always be the case, it certainly does not hurt to look at the fine print when buying at one of these chains.

I should have qualified my post. These things I was hearing was about exactly identical model numbers sold at HD vs at the plumbing supply house (for instance).

I can't speak for Dick's, but I know that manufacturers make slightly lower-end electronics for big box stores like Costco and Price Club

My wife worked at the corporate level of two of the largest electronic manufactures. None make a lower grade model for the big box stores. the price difference is due to the sale for a container lot which gets the dealers much better pricing.

The model numbers are changed ever so slightly and a insignificant item such as a piece of trim might be changed. This was due to the stores pushing it to avoid the "Price Match Garrentee" issue. Can't match as the model numbers are different. It was only done on the more expensive items. Years back we handled the security for the WIZ chain out of Newark and if the two owners were in a talkative mood you could learn a lot about the business.

Firearm's manufactures will do special runs if the numbers are big enough but if the model numbers are the same, it's the same firearm. Price is due to the large lots bought. Dealers love to spread those rumors as it covers them for the price difference. They just have to make it up on their customer service.

Picked up my Remington 11-87 yesterday,after going to another gun store and pricing it at $700.00!

Went to Dicks got the same exact one, for $549.00 guy gave me the $50 off rebate right there.Have to mail in Remington rebate of $50 now.Asked guy about there guns,he said Dicks doe's have a few of there ''own'' brand.But as far as Remington,Mossberg,Ruger etc. they just get them in bulk so they sell cheaper.So what the hell l just saved $200.00 bucks,and got a decent gun.

BTW,l was there for about 2 hours also.Only one guy working counter,people buying ammo, he triple checks all the paperwork,writes stuff in books etc. But for $200 l don't mind.Was at Caso's in Jersey City a few weeks ago picked up a Springfield .45 XD,was out the door in about 30 minutes.Bullethole the fastest of all, for my Walther P99, looked at it,bought it,was shooting 10 minutes later!

Yesterday, I picked up my Remington 11-87. After going to another gun store where it was priced at $700.00, I instead went to Dicks and purchased the same exact model for $549.00. In addition, the salesman handed me the $50 off rebate form, which I now have to mail in.

I also questioned the salesperson about their guns. He said Dick's does have a few of their ''own'' brand, but as far as Remington, Mossberg, Ruger etc. they just purchase them in bulk so that they are able to sell them cheaper.

So what the hell, l just saved $200.00 bucks and got a decent gun.

By special request of one of a select group of forum members, the above post has been rewritten in English for your reading pleasure.

I just don't have the energy this evening to rework the second post...

If your penchant for grammar continues, you will not have the drive to create your own posts anymore and the world would be at a loss with the lack of wisdom that will be lost.

I will be left with only enough energy to shoot clays - and my life will not have been a loss :D

Yesterday, I picked up my Remington 11-87. After going to another gun store where it was priced at $700.00, I instead went to Dicks and purchased the same exact model for $549.00. In addition, the salesman handed me the $50 off rebate form, which I now have to mail in.

I also questioned the salesperson about their guns. He said Dick's does have a few of their ''own'' brand, but as far as Remington, Mossberg, Ruger etc. they just purchase them in bulk so that they are able to sell them cheaper.

So what the hell, l just saved $200.00 bucks and got a decent gun.

By special request of one of a select group of forum members, the above post has been rewritten in English for your reading pleasure.

I just don't have the energy this evening to rework the second post...

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Thanks Dan, I needed a good chuckle.