Scottcba1

I'm thinking a rifle for my next gun....

I would like to go with an inexpensive 22lr semi-auto type for my next purchase. Tony from TJ's had a nice colt AR type rifle at BA a few weeks back and that was a blast to shoot. I havent shot any GSG's but I am seeing a lot of people selling them, why is that?

Any info or opinions is greatly appreciated!

-Scott

I would like to go with an inexpensive 22lr semi-auto type for my next purchase. Tony from TJ's had a nice colt AR type rifle at BA a few weeks back and that was a blast to shoot. I havent shot any GSG's but I am seeing a lot of people selling them, why is that?

-Scott

I remember when I got my first .22lr rifle...

It was a lovely Friday, the day before I was supposed to go shooting in PA with my brother. I decided a .22 rifle would be good to have for practice... So, I went into Firearms Guild in Rahway, and basically said: "I would like to buy the cheapest .22lr rifle that I can get. Iron sights and simple.

35 minutes later (NICS check and COE completed), and $100 shorter, I had a Marlin .22lr bolt action. Love that thing.

I would love something for $100 but what I am looking for probably wont get that low. :D

I have seen GSG's for low $400's, and AR types for high $400's. I was hoping for a bit less then this. Let me know what you guys think and any opinions.

-Scott

I would love something for $100 but what I am looking for probably wont get that low. :D

I have seen GSG's for low $400's, and AR types for high $400's. I was hoping for a bit less then this. Let me know what you guys think and any opinions.

-Scott

Look on gunbroker.. there are routinely older model bolt action .22's in NJ for $100 - $200

Either that.. or buy a 10/22..

-Scott

There are a few reasons I can think of:

1) GSG is not being made any more because of a lawsuit by HK stating that the design was stolen from one of their rifles. I believe that the company will still be supporting it with parts and service, but for how long is anybody's guess.

2) The thing is a pain to clean.

The gun is fun to shoot, but there are others I would go with first. Take a look at the Marlin 60, or 725 if you prefer a magazine instead of a mag feeding tube. Ruger 10/22's are really popular, but the out-of-the-box Marlin is cheaper (and will shoot circles around it, according to the internet commandos). I have a Winchester bolt action Wildcat that is very accurate, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's actually a re-badged Russian TOZ rifle. I buy foreign made guns, but I expect guns from American manufacturers to actually be made here. My mistake for not doing more research on it before I bought it.

Thanks for the info on the GSG....I wasnt aware of that info. I like the AR/MP type rifles in a 22lr.

Thanks Wolfy! I was at BA the night you picked yours up and it did look sweet. You had a GSG before that right? What are the differences?

-Scott

I did have the GSG. I like the M&P for ease of cleaning it will take any accessory that can be attached to a rail the parts are milspec so you can drop in a target trigger, buttstock, etc... The controls function exactly like a centerfire AR.

The 10/22 is a good choice also but lacks the cool factor and I feel the M&P is just as accurate.

I have a cheapo, mostly plastic 10/22 which I bought a few months ago for $190 or so.

The only changes I have made are to add a "Tech Sights" military style iron sight, and replace the magazine release lever. No changes to the barrel, trigger, action, etc.

I can put 40 shots into a 1" circle at 50 yards without trying too hard.

This is the most fun rifle I have, and I have a lot of fun and cool rifles.

I was originally going to modify it into a "super 10/22" but it's so fun to shoot this cheapo, light but super-accurate gun that I can't bring myself to modify it. I'll probably buy another one to make into my project 10/22.

I was a disbeliever, but now I've seen the light. An inexpensive 10/22 is unbelievable fun.

-Melg

Scott, how much do you want to spend? Semi or bolt? I can show you localy a couple of inexpensive used bolts for a plinker.

I really dont know. I was trying to stay under the $400 range as to not piss off the misses. I really like the MP/AR type semi's for the cool factor, as Wolfy mentioned. I really wasnt even contimplating a bolt action or 10/22 type rifle but I am getting good info from our great community here.

The other reason for staying under $400, I found a used 40cal Glock 22 for $330 that seems like a good deal. I was thinking about adding a 40 or 45 to the safe as well but would have to get a new permit since mine expired and I never renewed them. If I can stay under $400 without the need for a permit and get something I will use and enjoy then thats what I am looking for.

-Scott

It depends want you want to do with it. Semi autos need more cleaning and are finicky about ammo. The Henry is a nice rifle. However, if you want a quality and accurate first rifle that shoots any ammo, I say get a CZ Trainer. GunBroker has plenty: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Search ... 022&Sort=4

There are endless options on the .22lr rifle for well under $400.00

The .22lr AR's and GSG's are fine but way over priced and lack the accuracy that many cheaper

.22lr have for more then half the price.

Dicks has a decent selection of .22lr rifles most of the time and many have been on sale the last few weeks.

Marlin Model 795 $99.00

Mossberg 702 plinkster $129.98

Savage Mark II bolt action $159.98

Remington 597 $179.98 includes pre mounted scope

Ruger 10/22 $199.00 great platform and endless options, can turn it into a tack driver over time.

Dick's also has this which would be my choice if I was in the market for a .22lr, I have this in 17HMR and it's

a absolute tack driver, since weather conditions are a huge factor for the .17HMR it's said to be more accurate in the .22lr

http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal.com ... DSG-091101

I really do not care for Dicks but these are decent prices on many different rifles and there are way more options out

there from Marlin, TC classic(match grade from the box) and CZ. The Henry golden boy is an excellent choice a blast to

shoot and very accurate. As far as the GSG it's a pain in the ass to clean, very ammo sensitive and over priced for what it really is. It's nice to handle and fun to shoot, I only keep mine because they are no more once the remaining lot sells out. As for the new dedicated 22lr AR's I have read very mixed reviews regarding them and have no real need for another problematic pain in the butt. I would rather put the $500.00 towards a AR in .223 and pick up the cmmg conversion kit which work very well for $135.00. Out of all my .22's my personal favorite to shoot is a Glenfield model 60 I picked up for $50.00 it's great for up to 50 yards with no optics. For long distance I have a TC R-55 in my opinion no other semi auto .22 can touch it even with all the fancy mods and barrels and it ranks up there with the high end CZ bolt actions which hit $600.00 and over.

What ever you decide you will have fun with it, just do not make in impulse buy.

A good .22 is something you keep for life, it's one of the most versatile rifles you can get and you can fill

several voids with one rifle if you choose the right one.

Don't think too hard about this. Buy a .22 anything and you will never regret it.

Agreed. The only thing I don't agree with is you said , "buy A .22..." I think you should buy several! :)

Be careful tho, I enjoy rifle shooting MUCH more than pistol shooting. They are pretty addicting.