V65Magnafan

Hello From North of the Border

Hello,

I'm a New Yorker (sorry) currently residing in Ontario. I found this site while trying to figure out how to avoid leaving my handgun at the Pennsylvania border. I carry concealed in many states, but, of course, New Jersey isn't one of them.

I have several relatives in New Jersey, all having moved out of New York. This seems to be a trend. :think:

Still, I'm wondering how I can visit my relatives without committing a felony.

I think there's such a thing as a nonresident firearms permit, which will at least allow me to possess my firearms, unloaded, and/or take them to a range in NJ for some recreational shooting. But, I can't find any definite answers. Apparently, I have to visit a NJSP detachment for the paperwork.

Is there anything incorrect about what I stated above?

BTW, I hear that you will have a fairly good chance of getting rid of the worst of your gun laws with the new governor and the make-up of the assembly. Is that true?

Finally, if you think New Jersey firearms laws are crazy, you should take a look at Canada's.

It's good to be on board here!

There are no permits to own firearms in NJ.

There are permits to PURCHASE firearms and handgun ammunition.

You can get a Firearms Purchaser ID in NJ if you choose, however it has no bearing on the legality of having a firearm in the state of NJ.

I'd like for Chris Christie to repeal some of the laws, but I don't see that occurring.

Welcome aboard.

here are the two forms

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/fi ... ts-033.pdf

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/fi ... sp-066.pdf

You will have to visit the NJSP to get fingerprinted OR possibly the town in which your relatives reside. I'm unsure how it works for non-residents.

Right. I know I don't need a permit to travel through NJ, thanks to Title 18, but that permits travel with no stops. So, if I visit relatives--that is make unnecessary stops in the state, Title 18 no longer applies. Therefore, I'm illegally possessing a firearm in the state. New Jersey does not distinguish between possess and carry. I do not have a permit to carry. (N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.2 No person, except as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, shall carry, hold or possess a handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.)

Does anyone know how many non-resident carry permits have been granted?

This is why I'm confused. If I can keep my firearms locked and unloaded in the trunk of my car, ammo locked and separate, and spend a few days in the state visiting, then my problems are solved.

Please help me clear this up.

Probably less than the resident ones.

Right. I know I don't need a permit to travel through NJ, thanks to Title 18, but that permits travel with no stops. So, if I visit relatives--that is make unnecessary stops in the state, Title 18 no longer applies.

Why would visiting relatives be considered making unnecessary stops? I though visiting relatives was the point of your travel? Or are you saying change your mind in the course of travel and deviate to the visit?

Right. I know I don't need a permit to travel through NJ, thanks to Title 18, but that permits travel with no stops. So, if I visit relatives--that is make unnecessary stops in the state, Title 18 no longer applies. Therefore, I'm illegally possessing a firearm in the state. New Jersey does not distinguish between possess and carry. I do not have a permit to carry. (N.J.A.C. 13:54-2.2 No person, except as provided in N.J.S.A. 2C:39-6, shall carry, hold or possess a handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same in accordance with the provisions of this chapter.)

This is why I'm confused. If I can keep my firearms locked and unloaded in the trunk of my car, ammo locked and separate, and spend a few days in the state visiting, then my problems are solved.

You cannot legally keep firearms in the trunk of your car while you travel around the state visiting relatives.

Getting a non-resident carry permit chances are zero unless you have demonstrable security threats against your person OR you donate 10s of thousands of dollars annually to the right politicians.

You cannot legally keep firearms in the trunk of your car while you travel around the state visiting relatives.

Getting a non-resident carry permit chances are zero unless you have demonstrable security threats against your person OR you donate 10s of thousands of dollars annually to the right politicians.

See. I thought he was going to stay at a relative's house. Which would include dropping his pistol off with his other things (similar to staying in a hotel). Driving around with it in the car is def a no-no.

Leaving the firearms at his relatives except for trips to the range seems like a gray area to me. If he was staying there, this might be ok, but if he were to stay at a hotel but guns at the relatives, would it be a temporary transfer? I'm not a lawyer, I don't know. Leaving them in the trunk is recipe for disaster. What happens if he gets into a fender bender and the vehicle has to get towed? How do you explain that one?

My relatives don't have permits. So I don't think I can leave a handgun at their house.

The legal issue is the word "possess". Do they possess an unloaded, trigger-locked, cased, locked handgun?

The hotel issue is an interesting one. In many states, a hotel is an equivalent to one's domicile, so if I can leave it locked in a room safe, that would solve a problem.

Anyway, thanks in advance for all the help.

Leaving the firearms at his relatives except for trips to the range seems like a gray area to me. If he was staying there, this might be ok, but if he were to stay at a hotel but guns at the relatives, would it be a temporary transfer? I'm not a lawyer, I don't know. Leaving them in the trunk is recipe for disaster. What happens if he gets into a fender bender and the vehicle has to get towed? How do you explain that one?

I agree. Driving around with them is a no-no and def against the law unless he's going from the relative's house to the range/hunting and back. I'm pretty sure that leaving them at the relative's house, while he was staying there would be the same as leaving them in a hotel room. But of course.. I'm not a lawyer.. so we have to wait until some more knowledgeable people come online.

But lets see.. if I live out of state.. and I want to go hunting with my relative who lives in-state.. I can't leave my guns at their house while we go out to eat?

Thanks for all the welcomes.

As it happens, a bad cold stands in the way of spending Thanksgiving with my New Jersey relatives. :violin: :D

I'll be reading NJGF every day. One thing to know. Canada's gun laws are as wacky as New Jersey's. In some way, wackier.

For instance, concealed carry exists up here. However, you have to get your local PD to report in writing that they have recorded four verified threats against your life before you can get one. Nuts, right?

Thanks for all the welcomes.

As it happens, a bad cold stands in the way of spending Thanksgiving with my New Jersey relatives. :violin: :D

I'll be reading NJGF every day. One thing to know. Canada's gun laws are as wacky as New Jersey's. In some way, wackier.

For instance, concealed carry exists up here. However, you have to get your local PD to report in writing that they have recorded four verified threats against your life before you can get one. Nuts, right?

That sounds easier than NJ...

That sounds easier than NJ...

That may be. I can tell you that in a country of over thirty million people, fewer than 100 concealed carry permits have been issued, mostly to judges and bikers who "turned".

Canadians have been well-trained to be quiet little victims. New Jerseyites have also, apparently. I hope New Jersey's new governor takes a look at the crime figures from 48 other states and learns something. By the way, since the growth of CCW in the U.S. the American violent crime rate has been dropping three times faster than the Canadian crime rate.

Sigman,

IMHO, you NJ guys need some grassroots action. We've been doing that in Canada, which, politically is sort of like NJ. We have a huge number of gun owners, but Toronto and Montreal, gun-hating places, control the country.

But, here's what we did up here (yes, I'm an NRA, GOA, 2AF member, but also, I'm very involved politically up here). The rural districts have a high proportion of gun owners. So we got involved in the gun clubs. To start off, we got some anti-gun politicians knocked out in elections. We were able to show that gun owners will swing close ridings (what they call electoral districts up here) to a pro-gun candidate. We've done that in a number of ridings.

So your New Jersey rural reps will have to learn to cater to gun owners or they will lose.

I hear that you have some creeps who bottle up pro gun legislation in committee. Is that true? You have to work on getting them replaced. I know that sounds formidable, but one step at a time will get you the laws you want.

Another important step is letter writing to the newspapers. The letters to the editor section is the most read section in any newspaper. Also, you can effectively change the mindset of the editors who have to read the letters. You can do this because all the facts are on your side. the anti's have nothing but lies and emotions.

I'd recommend a gun politics forum here, where letter-writers can organize and pass ideas around. Any New Jersey anti gun article, editorial, interview should be posted and forum member responses should be posted. Also, if folks are embarrassed about their grammar, someone on the NJ board could volunteer to edit and proofread.

Also, up here in the Great White North, we make an effort to get media people and politicians to the range to show them how safe and how much fun firearms can be.

I hope this helps.