71ragtopgoat

Any Ranges here at the tip of northern NJ ???

I think the closest to you would be Riverdale but then again, that's a range that has a waiting list and it could be a very long time before you could shoot there and requires some training and proficiency before they'll accept you. A couple members here are members at Riverdale I believe.

Your _BEST_ best at this time, in my opinion is to Join Cherry Ridge. It's about 30-35 minutes from Oakland. I pass Oakland and Cherry Ridge on my way home from work every night.

On the plus side, there's probably at least 15 guys that are active on this forum that are also members. You won't be rushed like you are at a per/hour range and when you come to one the gatherings, the next thing you know you'll be buying a shotgun to shoot clays :)

The downside is that its outdoors and that makes it a bit miserable to shoot this time of year. Matt, Troy and I shot clays yesterday and we were cackling like idiots the whole time it was so cold. LOL.

All that said, if you'd like to come up to CR and shoot, I'll be more than happy to guest you in and get you pointed down range :). It'd be $25 for the day. If you did want to join, it's $190 for the first year and $132 for each subsequent year.

I'm sure some of the other guys would also be willing to shoot with you, you just need to ask.

Some of the guys shoot down and Bullethole in Bellevue and Brick Armory in Lakewood. Both are a bit of a haul from Oakland.

You cannot take pistols into NY to shoot so those ranges are out for you.

I think there is a place over in Jersey City but I've never shot there and the place in Patterson closed a while back I believe.

Some of the guys shoot down and Bullethole in Bellevue and Brick Armory in Lakewood. Both are a bit of a haul from Oakland.

I think there is a place over in Jersey City but I've never shot there and the place in Patterson closed a while back I believe.

Bullet Hole is in Belleville... :lol: I'd be glad to meet you there 71ragtop and get you going in the right direction. Depending on the range officer on duty, I would or would not get them involved in getting you setup... In either case, I took a coworker about 2-3 wks ago and he hadn't shot in a long long time. I would suggest an early weekday evening in order to avoid the weekend crowd which is sometimes several people deep waiting for an open port. I could also do during the day if you are so inclined.

If you're not already familiar with them, please make sure that you know the 4 rules of firearm safety inside and out. (google them if you need to)

Bullet Hole is in Belleville... :lol: I'd be glad to meet you there 71ragtop and get you going in the right direction. Depending on the range officer on duty, I would or would not get them involved in getting you setup... In either case, I took a coworker about 2-3 wks ago and he hadn't shot in a long long time. I would suggest an early weekday evening in order to avoid the weekend crowd which is sometimes several people deep waiting for an open port. I could also do during the day if you are so inclined.

If you're not already familiar with them, please make sure that you know the 4 rules of firearm safety inside and out. (google them if you need to)

Belleville, bellevue, what's the difference, lol.

Definitely go with someone the first time as Dan suggests. Quite a bit less intimidating.

I went alone the first time and let me just say that it would have been MUCH more comfortable to even have someone I barely knew there to just lean on and keep me from making stupid mistakes. As it was, the RSO (range safety officer) was top notch that day, guided me, commented on my choice of gun, etc. He did his best to put me at ease. By the end of the hour, I was quite comfortable.

bullet hole/gun for hire !! I'm going there next Monday for my first pistol NRA class. So I'll get a feel for the commute. And I will take one of you guys up on the range assist offer as soon as I complete the class and familiarize myself with the weapon. Thank you very much for the offer it gives me great comfort to know I'm in good hands.

Eddie K

bullet hole/gun for hire !! I'm going there next Monday for my first pistol NRA class. So I'll get a feel for the commute. And I will take one of you guys up on the range assist offer as soon as I complete the class and familiarize myself with the weapon. Thank you very much for the offer it gives me great comfort to know I'm in good hands.

Eddie K

There is a good group of guys up by you. They are all very helpful and fun to shoot with. Definately take advantage of it. Before you know it they will have you out on the shotgun range.

the next thing you know you'll be buying a shotgun to shoot clays :)

:lol::lol: so true!

The downside is that its outdoors and that makes it a bit miserable to shoot this time of year. Matt, Troy and I shot clays yesterday and we were cackling like idiots the whole time it was so cold. LOL.

:o:( :crying-blue: :teasing-neener: :lol:

bullet hole/gun for hire !! I'm going there next Monday for my first pistol NRA class.

Good choice - my first trip to the range was also to Bullet Hole with Gun For Hire. It really helped put me and my fiance at ease to have someone there to walk us thru things. Plus, Anthony is a good guy that will have you laughing the whole time.

Well I did my gun for hire NRA First steps pistol orientation. Anthony and his assistant (I'm sorry I cant remember his name) are top notch. Every question was answered in the fullest possible way. You can really see there love and enthusiasm for this sport/right of ours. There lecture on gun handling and safety really taught this newbie enough to put me at-ease around pistols.

The range lesson was very relaxed yet detail oriented. I put all the pressure on myself to shoot as well as I could. I was all over the place until they calmed me down.And reminded me of proper use of sites.Then I got a few bulls eyes.

At the end I had to say goodbye a couple of times as Anthony just kept talking to us about pistols and how to apply our everyday routine to the use and handling of pistols. There is no doubt in my mind that if I continue taking classes there I will be top notch before long. If anyone reading this wants to take this class I highly recommend gun for hire.

Srsly? Link?

From here: http://www.nysrpa.org/nygunlaws.htm

Non-residents:

A non-resident citizen may possess a rifle or shotgun in New York, as long as it is unloaded while being transported. No person may carry, possess or transport a handgun in or through the state unless he has a valid New York license. New York does not issue licenses to non-residents nor does it recognize licenses issued by other states. (A provision of federal law provides a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel. If a person is traveling from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport a firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm and the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Necessary stops, e.g., gasoline and rest, seem permissible.) A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a locked carrying case and the ammunition is carried in a separate locked container. An alien may possess a rifle or shotgun for use while hunting provided he has a valid New York hunting license. "If such (handgun) license is issued to an alien, or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the licensing officer shall state in the license the particular reason for the issuance and the names of the persons certifying to the good character of the applicant." Non-resident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for the purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a locked opaque container.

'71 - glad you had a good time. Anthony certainly has a knack for making a first time out much less daunting.

Srsly? Link?

As Caine showed, yes, I'm serious.

You may travel THROUGH NY to another state where they are legal but just like traveling through NJ with guns, don't dick around. If you are involved in an NRA sponsored event there are some exceptions. Frankly unless I was competing in Olympic competition, I wouldn't do it. The risk is too high.

A certain range in Rockland County, NY told me I can shoot there even though I'm a resident of NJ. I guess that's not the case. :roll:

There was a discussion(here or NJH) concerning that range, "Firing line" I think it was and about using pistols there. They claimed they are NRA affiliated or something like that and that makes it ok.

The consensus was you're on shaky legal ground unless they're specifically sponsoring an event and have produced a program of the event. I'm of the opinion it simply isn't worth losing your guns forever and thousands of dollars in fees and potential jail time just to target practice.

A certain range in Rockland County, NY told me I can shoot there even though I'm a resident of NJ. I guess that's not the case. :roll:

There was a discussion(here or NJH) concerning that range, "Firing line" I think it was and about using pistols there. They claimed they are NRA affiliated or something like that and that makes it ok.

The consensus was you're on shaky legal ground unless they're specifically sponsoring an event and have produced a program of the event. I'm of the opinion it simply isn't worth losing your guns forever and thousands of dollars in fees and potential jail time just to target practice.

Just to clarify, it appears that in NY, LONG GUNS ARE OK, handguns are the problem.

Long guns are fine as long as you obey their specific AWB laws (i.e. 10 round mags, etc.) is how I've always understood it. As for the handguns, I certainly wouldn't wanna be on the side of the road with a trooper trying to explain to him that I'm driving to an NRA event...

Long guns are fine as long as you obey their specific AWB laws (i.e. 10 round mags, etc.) is how I've always understood it. As for the handguns, I certainly wouldn't wanna be on the side of the road with a trooper trying to explain to him that I'm driving to an NRA event...

I thought regular capacity magazines had to be pre-ban to be ok?

I thought regular capacity magazines had to be pre-ban to be ok?

My understanding of NY law (keeping in mind that I don't live there) is that hi-cap pre-ban mags are ok. Everything else has to be 10 rounds or less. Given that we can't have pre-ban hi-caps here, unless you have some place in NY to stash them, I would imagine it's a moot point. That said, I'm not sure if there's any specific law that states who may or may not possess pre-ban mags once in NY.

I was telling my wife that if we opened up something like the bullet hole in Hackensack we would make a killing!

You have the county guys who would no doubt come in to shoot, you have all the local gun owners who dont want to drive to belleville, dont want to join the place in Paterson.

So if there was something in Hackensack, it would be ideal.

Now if I can just get zoning approval. Should not be an issue with all the unused space along the river...

I was telling my wife that if we opened up something like the bullet hole in Hackensack we would make a killing!

You have the county guys who would no doubt come in to shoot, you have all the local gun owners who dont want to drive to belleville, dont want to join the place in Paterson.

So if there was something in Hackensack, it would be ideal.

Now if I can just get zoning approval. Should not be an issue with all the unused space along the river...

Check South Hackensak, you may get zoning approval, I remember talks about getting a place in South Hackensack when we lost the Secaucus range, that was a few years ago.