67gtonut

Great Thread on Caliber discussion

Well, that took a while. I read the entire thread.

I think one thing the detractors on that thread seem to be dismissing is real world results. All the theory, and wound channels and ballistic gel and hunting knowledge don't really matter when you look at the end result.

Again however, there is an additional factor as compared to Self defense situations. Quality of ammo. Most of us here have spent the extra bucks on good SD ammo. I have one mag for my 9mm that stays loaded with SD ammo. I've run 100 or so rounds through it to be sure it isn't defective and since then that mag been loaded and has stayed loaded. Street thugs are buying at Walmart or whatever cheap ammo they can get. Quality of ammo will affect the expansion and penetration. The original poster stated that the most important feature was hitting vital organs and the corollary to that is penetration. This suggests that fully loaded +p in general will outperform non plus P, regardless of caliber(obvious of course). Also increasing your odds of hitting said vital organs is the quantity of shots. 15rnds > 12 > 10 > 6 > 5 etc. To this end, he prefers 9mm due to magazine capacity since it has adequate penetration and controllable recoil for more shots on COM.

I agree on the ammo (quality, +p vs. non +p, etc), however, I have read where a DA will go after the "good guy" who shoots a perp with hollow points or "hot loads" as if to say he (the Good Guy) was looking for trouble and sometimes they even end up in jail for protecting themselves.

I agree on the ammo (quality, +p vs. non +p, etc), however, I have read where a DA will go after the "good guy" who shoots a perp with hollow points or "hot loads" as if to say he (the Good Guy) was looking for trouble and sometimes they even end up in jail for protecting themselves.

Someone else has asked about this previously, but there does not seem to be ANY case law indicating that this was done.

Someone else has asked about this previously, but there does not seem to be ANY case law indicating that this was done.

Not to say some Anti DA will not try to, mind you.