Quinski

Cabela's executive says Xanadu opening 'hightly unlikely'

So they said what everyone else has known for over a year. Cabela scaled back openings all over the country because of reduced sales. They were looking for a reason to get out of the NJ contract and the state gave them a reason. The last press release pushed back the opening until late 2010. Not bad for a project announced in 2002. I could have built it by now.

The project has major financial problems. Contractors haven't been paid for work already done and no one wants to move in knowing they may or may not ever get paid. They would have been better off buo,lding a standalone store similar to all the others throughout the country. This one seems to be the only one tied into another large commercial project.

It was a disaster from day one but political forces didn't want to listen. Funny that Hartz Mountain sued prior to the start of construction and forecast exactly what would happen. They hit it right on the head. Unfortunatly Cabelas pulling out means the project will likely die.

Besides Cabelas, there is nothing left. Most of the other major anchor stores pulled out years ago. Who is today's economy is going to spend big money to play on those planned rides?

They shut down two up here after a few years of planning and legislative efforts. No intention of restarting them in the near future. Xanadu was a losing proposition from the start. Now with other large formally successful malls filing chapter 11, it doesn't look good. Add to that the stadium still has the option of shutting them down on game days, why would anyone want to move in?

When I first sat in on meetings during the planning, the concept actually looked good. but after a year it was changed entirely to nothing more than another mall many knew it was doomed.

The paint job didn't help.

Just read that in the paper today. I said this isn't news, I knew this a year ago.

Cabela's said they probably won't open, yet the guy for Xanadu said that they have a contract and expect Cabela's to hold up their end of the deal :lol::lol::lol:

What kills me is that the Cabela part is easily identifiable. Other than being normally painted, it sports Cabela's signature Beige and Green.

BTW - this news SUCKS. I couldn't care less if the rest of the complex opens - the only thing I really wanted was Cabela's.

What kills me is that the Cabela part is easily identifiable. Other than being normally painted, it sports Cabela's signature Beige and Green.

BTW - this news SUCKS. I couldn't care less if the rest of the complex opens - the only thing I really wanted was Cabela's.

Do you think that they would be able to find enough quality people to work there at a wage they would need to keep low in order to stay out of the red?

Do you think that they would be able to find enough quality people to work there at a wage they would need to keep low in order to stay out of the red?

I need an after hours job to support my habit...

Dick's has little beyond some ammo. Cabelas is stocked with a much wider range of products although they aren't the cheapest around.

Seems like the smartened up and dumped opening in the state.

Dick's in Willowbrook has also pulled out. That sign has been up a LONG time.

The developer couldnt meet up to its end of the deal.

Have they actually pulled out Rizzo. Because I was there yesterday and it looks like they knocked down a building and it looks like they MIGHT be getting ready to put a new building up once the ground thaws out. But I could be wrong I havn't read about it, I just saw the sign and got excited. I hope they havn't actually pulled out that would stink

Dick's in Willowbrook has also pulled out. That sign has been up a LONG time.

The developer couldnt meet up to its end of the deal.

Have they actually pulled out Rizzo. Because I was there yesterday and it looks like they knocked down a building and it looks like they MIGHT be getting ready to put a new building up once the ground thaws out. But I could be wrong I havn't read about it, I just saw the sign and got excited. I hope they havn't actually pulled out that would stink

It's been in that condition for several months Matt. They could be waiting for spring, but I doubt it.

What people seen to forget is that is wasn't a developer. It was the state. It is state property which is why they were not permitted to simply build a "mall". They were required to build a "entertainment complex". That was the basic for the suit filed by Hartz Mountain. They said it wasn't a entertainment complex and would not be financially viable. Years later they have been proved correct but it's too late. But the state has sunk millions into it but this time and really doesn't know where to go with the complex.

The state and the politicians would probably love to just tear it down and take the lose but they would make them look even more incredibly stupid...if that's actually possible. At this point any contractor is going to want their money up front. This is the type of project that kills contractors and forced them into bankruptcy. Just like it did to the original developer.

And to be fair, the artist renderings I saw in 2002 did not have that funky paintjob.

RScalzo...do you actually think the contractors are worried about getting their money??? LOL!! The contractors are in bed with the politicians. I know of several of union contractors that are working there and an engineer and you wouldnt believe the cost overuns associated with the Xanadu project. They just shurg their shoulders and keep working and sending the bills. Trust me..they arent worried about getting paid. With the amount of money involved with that project me and you could have built 3 Xanadus.

At this time virtually no one is working on nthe project. Your crazy if you think contractors aren't worried about getting there money. The money isn't coming from the state, it's coming from the developer who has been required to find alternate sources of funding.

Small trades might be working. One of the largest pulled out two years ago because of the funding or lack of it. they are still working on the exterior which isn't part of the Xanadu project.

When they send the bills and don't get paid, do the laborers accept an IOU? doubt it. that's went the company folds leaving them all out of work. I saw it on jobs larger than this one in the early 60's. The lower level of the GWB cost some of the biggest construction companies in the tri-state area their business. the larger ones want nothing to do with this project.

As most of the facility still remains without lessees to take up the space, they aren't in a rush. Cabelas pulling out will be a major hurdle that should kill it. In any case, they alone aren't going to carry xomething that large.

As I said, a stand alone store somewhere in the middle of the state might have been a better idea. This concept was a disaster before they put as shovel into the ground.

Friends over at Hartz are still laughing at the state's stupidity. The mastermind behind this white elephant has resigned leaving the state with na 2 billion dollar hole to fill. Next door is a 1.4 billion dollar stadium that won't have enough ticket holders to fill the seats.

Great thinking on the part of the state.

I was not suprised. A Cabela's was not a viable concept in northeast New Jersey. We are better off car pooling to the Hamburg, PA store.

Were they really going to sell guns and ammo in the liberal center of the state? This state is run by a bunch of corrupt, brainless, clueless slobs that only look out for their own financial well being. What a shame!

BTW - the Hamburg Cabela's is awesome. I make a road trip there occasionally.

Turn the Meadowlands back into swamp. I crabbed there growing up till about the mid 70s. That whole Xanadu thing is a monstrosity symbolic of how greedy and corrupt Nj pols & developers are. Christie is now stuck with that albatross, I notice he sort of damned with faint praise, when he did a tour of it.

going to sell guns and ammo in the liberal center of the state

Yes.. They don't depend on the sale of firearms and related items to survive. Even the biggest firearm's store on the NH/ME border has shifted their interest away from that area. Gun sales peaked and tanked. Depending on that alone is foolish for any business.

I still say that a location more to wards the middle of the state and similar to their other locations would have been a better idea. Once they are free of this disaster and the economy improves, they might resurrect those planes to enter the NJ market.

Depending on your residence, Hartford's location is about the same distance.