Radek

New addition - 30-06

Just made a new addition to my slowly growing arsenal. It's chambered in 30-06. Bought from SS, but didn't get a chance to go to BA to shoot it. A while back SS stopped allowing high-power rifles, so I switched membership to BA ... but naturally, I prefer 100+ yard for rifle, so considering Monmouth now.

This purchase is somewhat unplanned ... I had ordered this few months ago and it wasn't available. In between I changed my mind and wanted to get a 7.62 NATO or 308 instead, but neglected to call SS to change order :doh:

Anyway, since I don't have a 30-06, I figured why not ;) Decent price: $351 OTD. Marlin is not known for bolt actions, but I have seen excellent reviews of this model (for the price).

Will do range report when I get to shoot it. Maybe tomorrow at Monmouth - visiting for range tour.

Hey Radek, let us know how that thing shoots. I was asking about that same gun a few months ago but nobody had any experience with it. I am sure you can find plenty of surplus ammo for that thing cheap, you just have to clean it right away as most will have corrosive primers.

Hey Radek, let us know how that thing shoots. I was asking about that same gun a few months ago but nobody had any experience with it. I am sure you can find plenty of surplus ammo for that thing cheap, you just have to clean it right away as most will have corrosive primers.

Surplus ammo by who? Why corrosive ... from east-bloc?

Just do a search on Google it go to the Garand sites. Here are a few. It comes in and out so one place might not have it now but may again in a few weeks. Good luck and give us a range report on that rifle.

http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm

http://www.ammogarand.com/3006ammo.html

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/cshop/store/gaugeshow.tam?pagenumber.ptx=1&cartridge_gauge.ctx=.30-06%20Springfield

The stuff the CMP will be selling again soon is non corrosive primed M2 ball from Greece. No price has been set yet, AFAIK. Commercial .30-06 is down to about $12.50/box of 20, for Prvi last I looked. The CMP stuff may (probably) come in spam cans in 8 round enbloc clips stuffed inside bandoleers, so you gotta unass the ammo from that.

Yesterday, I did get to try it out at BA. Would have preferred outdoors with a stable bench ...

Marlin XL7; comes w/ rail mount for scope.

NcStar Scope 3-9x40 (will try Nikon next time)

BA doesn't have bench / chair combo to use, so ended up using the small horizontal ledge in the pit. Put the front section of a MTM rifle rest (no space for the rear!). Used a chair to plant my left foot to try and steady the rifle ... that proved difficult at best.

My first time to shoot a bolt action in many decades! Last time I used a British 303 ...

Loaded 4 rounds in the blind mag, chambering first round was a bit tricky the first time, but got the hang of it in the next batch.

Couldn't really keep the rifle steady, so can't yet speak for accuracy.

Chad, ur avatar is freakng me out! Very Weird.

Find a young girl's face as a avatar. It's neutral. Can't be bashed. and you might get good vibes and friends along the way. If not, never mind.

I am sure we don't have rapists or child molesters in our midst. Guys, chime in ...

Doh! I told you so. This comment is unrelated to this post ...

Chad, ur avatar is freakng me out! Very Weird. Thats the point.

Find a young girl's face as a avatar. It's neutral. Can't be bashed. and you might get good vibes and friends along the way. If not, never mind. I don't need any new friends.

I am sure we don't have rapists or child molesters in our midst. Guys, chime in ... Huh??

Doh! I told you so. This comment is unrelated to this post ...

Chad how did you get pics of Matt's mom?

Well Joe, I took that picture at the very moment I introduced her to her son. You see, she abandoned him at birth (can you blame her?) and they were re-united not too long ago, that was her reaction. It was very touching.

Radek, why don't you sneak out for an hour and come on down to Range 14 at 2pm with that new Marlin?

I can't do weekdays at 2pm ... I am not independently wealthy.

What does that have to do with anything? take a sick day. lol. =)

with a rifle, esp like the one you have, got to shoot outdoors. if cant sneak out at night, dix actually does let you shoot till 8pm on wed's... it is lighted.

Radek, why don't you sneak out for an hour and come on down to Range 14 at 2pm with that new Marlin?

I can't do weekdays at 2pm ... I am not independently wealthy.

What does that have to do with anything? take a sick day. lol. =)

with a rifle, esp like the one you have, got to shoot outdoors. if cant sneak out at night, dix actually does let you shoot till 8pm on wed's... it is lighted.

Hehe! It so happens, I just finished a project and waiting for next ... so, I am available to go to Dix this week!! :dance:

Who wants to join and what day / time?