Old School

Anybody Need Tumbling Media? DONE See last post

I'm going to buy 40 pounds of corn cob media from Graingers. My tumbler only holds a couple of pounds. So if two or three folks need media I'll split it up and mail it to ya in a flat rate mail box. #40 is 23.60 plus tax so I guess to be safe if I ship it it'll be about $1/pd unless you want to meet me or pick it up at CR.

Frank

OK I'll get to Grainger this week.

This is a tougher one... Either of you guys ready for bulk bullets?

I'm sitting on about 3000 9mm 115gr FMJ but need some 45ACP. Just don't know what I want to buy in 45.

Also, I would do a bulk buy on powder and primers and we could splt the hazmat fees.

Just some stuff to think about. But the media is a done deal!

I get media locally at Patsmart. It's called Lizard Litter and is in the amphibian section. when it's on sale it's a very good deal. I stopped using corn cob as i find it gets dirty quickly and must be replaced.

You might want to look into the sand blasting media. That works well and is available in various grits.

I'm going to buy 40 pounds of corn cob media from Graingers. My tumbler only holds a couple of pounds. So if two or three folks need media I'll split it up and mail it to ya in a flat rate mail box. #40 is 23.60 plus tax so I guess to be safe if I ship it it'll be about $1/pd unless you want to meet me or pick it up at CR.

Frank

I'm interested if you need another person to go in on corn cob. Let me know.

Frank

I'm interested if you need another person to go in on corn cob. Let me know.

OK we have four peeps that's 10 pounds each. I guess we're done

This is closed unless some other folks want to split 40#. I'll pick it up but don't want more than 10# for myself.

I get media locally at Patsmart. It's called Lizard Litter and is in the amphibian section. when it's on sale it's a very good deal. I stopped using corn cob as i find it gets dirty quickly and must be replaced.

You might want to look into the sand blasting media. That works well and is available in various grits.

What material is Lizard Litter?

So, options are: Corn-cob, Walnut Shells, sand blasting media ...

How do you separate from media the "gunk" that's bound to come off of fired brass? I would think Corn-cob or Walnut Shells will eventually get dirty ...

Sand media will also get mixed with the "gunk", might not get as dirty, but it still would need to be cleaned somehow ...?

There are many different medias used in blasting. Corn Cobs and Walnut Shells are only two of the many. I don't think anyone would use sand, aluminum oxide or silicone carbide on brass! You can wash out the walnut shells periodically but it is pretty cheap and most just toss it out. I usually put in half of a bounce sheet to absorb some of the dust and it lasts longer.

There are many different medias used in blasting. Corn Cobs and Walnut Shells are only two of the many. I don't think anyone would use sand, aluminum oxide or silicone carbide on brass! You can wash out the walnut shells periodically but it is pretty cheap and most just toss it out. I usually put in half of a bounce sheet to absorb some of the dust and it lasts longer.

Absolutely right John! For this application hardly no one uses anything more agressive than Walnut media. Corn cob is softest then walnut. We are buying a relatively courser corn cob media. I expect it to polish shiney and break down slower than finer corn cob. Walnut cleans well but leaves the cases more satin in finish. The dryer sheet is a good trick and I do that myself.

Some add a small amount of polish to the media as well. I just use a conditioner.

Radek- Are you reloading yet?

Absolutely right John! For this application hardly no one uses anything more agressive than Walnut media. Corn cob is softest then walnut. We are buying a relatively courser corn cob media. I expect it to polish shiney and break down slower than finer corn cob. Walnut cleans well but leaves the cases more satin in finish. The dryer sheet is a good trick and I do that myself.

Some add a small amount of polish to the media as well. I just use a conditioner.

Radek- Are you reloading yet?

rscalzo mentioned sand media as an option ... I don't know if anyone uses it on brass, but no reason it wouldn't work ... I suspect will be more expensive though.

No, haven't started reloading yet. Trying to clear some work area in the basement to accommodate the Dillon and supplies.

btw. if you still have some corn-media to sell, count me in on the split. Also, if you want to sell some of your 9mm FMJ bullets let me know. CR is way far for me, so mailing would be best ...

I don't know if anyone uses it on brass

I don't but I know people who do.

While it's called "sand blasting", the media is not sand. It varied depending on the use and the grit size can be specified. It is not too aggressive for brass when the proper media is used.

http://www.kramerindustriesonline.com/b ... -media.htm

What material is Lizard Litter?

So, options are: Corn-cob, Walnut Shells, sand blasting media ...

How do you separate from media the "gunk" that's bound to come off of fired brass? I would think Corn-cob or Walnut Shells will eventually get dirty ...

Sand media will also get mixed with the "gunk", might not get as dirty, but it still would need to be cleaned somehow ...?

The lizard litter that I have seen is crushed walnut shell. I've been mixing it with corn cob since I was low on corn cob and it works pretty good. I still think the corn cob may shine the brass a little better than the lizzard litter - not sure about that yet. I've also been mixing a tablespoon of paint thinner in with the brass polish which also works well.

Some of the brass I've been getting is very dirty so I've been washing it in a solution of lemon juice and dawn to get the surface dirt off. Once it's dry, I throw it in the tumbler. This helps extend the life of the corn cob media and shortens the polishing time in the tumbler.

I've heard of people washing the walnut shells, but I haven't tried it. I don't believe you can wash corn cob. It will just get moldy.

That's what I didn't like about it. That and it seemed to lose much of the cleaning power quickly as it wore down. I now use stickly crushed walnut shells. In the beginning it is a bit dustly but after a few runs and thowing a few paper towels in clears that up quickly. It lasts forever and doesn't absorb dirt easily.

I'm not looking for a mirror bright finish. Clean is all I'm after. That's all that is needed.